Phantom Hourglass Dated in Japan

April 11th, 2007 at 11:25 pm by The Missing Link

Those of you who know Japanese are in for a treat. Phantom Hourglass has been dated according to Joystiq… and it’s coming out in Japan much sooner than expected: this June

The date is June 23, and as you can see, we’ve updated it in the timer on the main page. The shocker (which really shouldn’t be much of a shock) here is that there’s such a huge disparity between the Japanese release and our current best guess date for the American (and European) releases. Last time Nintendo spoke, we were looking sometime in Q4, which is anywhere from October to December. Does this mean that the worldwide release of our last Zelda game, Twilight Princess, was just an anomaly because of it being a launch title for Wii, which also saw a worldwide release? Only time will tell.

Filed under News, Nintendo, Phantom Hourglass

Follow This Entry | Read Other Posts by The Missing Link

90 Messages from the Gossip Stones about “Phantom Hourglass Dated in Japan”

Comments

I really hope that it comes out here sooner than expected. Those lucky japanese people get evrything first. I want to make an american only thing. Anime, Manga, awesome game series *Cough*FireEmblem*Cough*, I don’t care, just something cool that they want but can’t have.

Shinigami Ninja said:

Why bother doing that, we got thing we have that they don’t, which is The Missing Link! Since he is in the video game business (but not Nintendo) look in the credits of any game (other than Ninty’s) after beating it to look for a “David Johnson” who is TML in real life. Anyways, this means we may get Phantom Hourglass earlier than expected as well, we just have to wait for the Regginator to reveal when. Once Phantom Hourglass comes out, we’ll have to be quiet about spoilers (like with TP)

!!!

I sincerely hope that it comes out around the same time in the US and Europe (and Australia!), too. Actually, if it came out in June in the US as well, I could get it for my boyfriend as a birthday present. :D

Jumanji Shishioh said:

I’m not sure if I should be flattered or worried about potential stalkers now.

<_<
    >_>
    <_<

Unfortunately (as of yet), my name is not in any credits yet… or if it is, it’s not me. (The curse of a common name!)

I hope that this game gets as much hype as windwaker did. I really loved that game (cell shading and all). Plus, i think you get to ride around in a boat or something. Boats are cool. Mmmmmm….boats….(starts drooling and passes out) ^_*

I’ve got a question for you TML. If I was able to nab a copy of the Japanese version of PH, would it work on the North American version of the DS?

Jario said:

i think it would work because have a jappanese GBA game that works fine and in the “phoenlink wright” article TML said he has a imported phoenix wright game, thats for DS… so i think it would work :)

Jario said:

Mirelena said:

i can read about 5 words in jappanese :D

so japan gets it first or something? no suprise there *mumbling* ’cause they get everything first :| .

Booo! I disapprove of this. We’re getting too many Zelda games, way too quickly. Which is one of the reasons why TP was such a large disappointment to many hardcore Zelda fans. Too many games just cheapen the series.

I think that Japan is LUCKY! Phantom Hourglass looks like awesomeness in DS form. My friend downloaded Spider-man 3, but it’s Japanese. They get a lot of stuff first, but we got Wii first. :p

Archaic Sage said:

your telling me that TP came out “quickly” :P ?

sniper said:
    They get a lot of stuff first, but we got Wii first. :p

small consolation,and anyways they probably have a brand new nintendo unit called “the Uss” …they’re just not saying so ;) .

No but we got what Minish cap in 04 FSA in 05 TP in 07 and now phantom in 08

hupla said:
    No but we got what Minish cap in 04 FSA in 05 TP in 07 and now phantom in 08

i think a game a year is ok…kinda like the anime “code lyoko”, they make a new season(with about 20 episodes)every year, usually at the end of the year…ohh now i want to watch it :

Mirelena said:

Jario said:

Dang it. That was me that wrote that. My sisters acount is signed in on Firefox and mine is on IE. I tried logging her out but it doesn’t work for reason. So I forget that its my sisters when I use FireFox and I write under her moniker. Dang thing.

hupla said:

No but we got what Minish cap in 04 FSA in 05 TP in 07 and now phantom in 08

Its mostly different teams working on each one simultaneously so it doesn’t cheapen the series. What cheapens a series is when you have one team that keeps rapidly producing games by re-using game engines and stuff. That’s not happening here. Besides, I wouldn’t call two delays and several years past announcment “quick”.

Shinigami Ninja said:My friend’s friend imported Jump Super Stars for Japan and it works fine, so I think it would work okay. I can’t read Japanese (or uderstand it for that matter) so I’ll wait for the engri-I mean english version.

lol…is it a shonen jump game?,because i saw one in jappanese when i was at some game,computer and electronic store…

Yeah it is. It has a ton of Shonen Jump Anime Characters. I’ve heard it plays somewhat like SSB. But for most Nintendo Systems imported games work fine on them. I’ll wait for the English versions of anything though.

sniper said:

is Kurama in it?

I don’t know. I haven’t played it, I haven’t looked at the cast either. I’m pretty sure Naruto and Luffy are in it and I think InuYasha might be. Hold on. I’ll check GameFaqs.
    Hmm. It looks like he makes an appearance. There is a sequel to it called Ultimate Stars which has a ton more. Here’s the Character FAQ list for Ultimate Stars, and that’s just the ones with guides.
    I might borrow it from some one.

Shinigami Ninja said:
    I might borrow it from some one.

interesting… i wonder how yugi would fight :?

Shinigami Ninja said:
    I might borrow it from some one.

interesting… i wonder how yugi would fight :?

Shinigami Ninja said:I’ll tell yah. First, he’d yell: “Let’s DD-DDD-Duel!” Second, he’d start throwing cards everywhere saying things like: “I play the Celtic Guardian,in attack position” Third, he’d start comenting on your life points. That’s my guess. or he could use his over-the-top spiked multi-colored hair impale the enemy.

haha i know theres some weird players in SSBM(ice climbers -_-) but i still cant see yugi fighting,maybe the pharaoh(cause i think he has sword) but not yugi..anyways is that comming to america any time soon?

I cant see yugi fighting….maybe yami-yugi but not little yugi :P .

Sesshorochikuramaru said:

superstars never did and I don’t think Ultimate Stars will either. I have a friend who has a friend who owns SuperStars so I could probably borrow it, I don’t know what you’ll do, buy it I guess.

Shinigami Ninja said:I’m not to mad about PH. I was never really that hyped up about it anyway. I hope its harder than TP.

its on the DS…that should prove to be challenge enough as is :P

*thinks about trying to control the boomerang with the stylus* :? ……

That’s true. Its touch screen gets a little iffy sometime. I think the sword looks like fun.

Okay, I’m only posting this here because something hs come up, and it’s very distressing…

Alright, this is not any good at all. But let me put the word out to the zelda community. The Desert Colossus is in some MAJOR trouble. Jack, Jack’s disappeared and he’s been gone for nearly 2 months. This is really distressing, mainly because at TDC, a few bad things have been going on. Anyone out there who lives in or near Boston, check the phone books for Jack O’reily. I’m serious here, people. We’ve seriously gotta find and contact the man. Internet won’t work, as he hasn’t answered ANY messages at all. It’s not just TDC either, it’s also HA2. So TML, Darth Citrus, ANYONE, please help us find and get in touch with Jack.

Dark Mime Gogo said:

bad things like what? he left his site?, is that what your saying?

There have been some… problems… for one thing, quite a few fights have been going down at the forums. For another, well… there have been some problems, especially with one of the mods. And we really need Jack to help us out on this. He’s the only one, as administrator, that can do anything. It’s very worrisome…

so is something wrong with him,his site,or both?

DMG’s asked me to come on and try to explain this for him. I don’t normally visit the forums these days, so I can’t say really what all these ‘bad things’ he’s talking about have been, but the basics behind the problem is that Jack has vanished without warning. And it’s not just that he hasn’t updated the site recently; there were several projects he was working on (setting up accounts for new faculty members, making me an Admin for HA2 ^^, etc.) that are now left half finished, emails aren’t being answered, and so on.

I maintain that something’s probably wrong with his internet connection and he can’t get online to tell us, though I will admit that it seems odd that he hasn’t found another computer and posted a quick note on the TDC Forums explaining what’s happening. Basically Mime (and me now, I guess :P ) is asking if anyone can confirm this or give the reason behind his disappearance. Because we all love our GREAT AND ALMIGHTY ADMINISTRATOR and are starting to get a little worried.

oh…im afraid I would be of no help concerning this then,though i wish you all good luck finding him :P .

yes..good luck..i hope you can find out whats going on

speaking of missing people…anyone know were uberzeldamaster is?

yes..good luck..i hope you can find out whats going on

I’m in the same boat as thes two (as usual), I can’t help you out much. You could try getting someone to conatact his local authorities and see if anything has happened to him.

Sesshorochikuramaru said:

speaking of missing people…anyone know were uberzeldamaster is?

What’s he/she got to do with anything? he/she probably got tired of getting yelled at for spamming. Anyway, just cause the person hasn’t posted on this topic yet doesn’t mean anything. We kinda animefied it right away, that tends to cut down the number of people who post on any given topic to like, 3. You, me, and Ninja Lord Kakashi. lol.

Ninja Lord Kakashi said:

Yeah, no crap. I would have no idea on how to find him… hm. This is really a stretch here, but if somehow you could find his IP address and call the provider he’s on and see if his connection is still active would be a good thing to do. But even if you could find his address, I’m sure they wouldn’t tell you if it’s active. But it’s worth a try.

Sesshorochikuramaru said:

speaking of missing people…anyone know were uberzeldamaster is?

Maybe TML decided to kick his account. *psst… :D *

Wait… TML! Where is he? I sent him an email about something like a week ago and he hasn’t said anything or posted anything or anything since the 11th. Maybe uberzeldamaster killed every Zelda website webmaster because he was fed up with being yelled at for spamming the boards… :P . But seriously, maybe TML’s spending all his time looking for Jack.

Shinigami Ninja said:What’s he/she got to do with anything? he/she probably got tired of getting yelled at for spamming.

just wondering …theres not too many posts as of late and alot of people seem to be gone lately. maybe its a good week for vacations or something :?

ITS A CONSPIRACY!! All the web masters have gone to a secret meeting, and UZM went to spa uh.. er, I mean, spy on them.

Sesshorochikuramaru said:

Yeah, you know, by this time, even with animefying the topic, there should be roughly 60 posts, not 40. I wonder where they all went. This is weird. I hope its not some Zelda-fan killing serial killer. Where’s an AK-47 when you need one.

I got Okami recently so I spent most of my free time beating it (good game too) anyways, with all the storms going on in the US, they may not have any connection to the Internet, and so “disappeared” but I do hope they can get back on soon (I’m waiting for the next Ask Ezlo too) so let’s try to get back on subject, people. Now to see where they left off…

Jumanji Shishioh said:

That’s probably it. In a big city like Boston it could take a while to get your internet fixed if lot of people have the same problem. ISPs don’t care what your a web-master of.

Jumanji Shishioh said:so let’s try to get back on subject, people. Now to see where they left off…

i think we were trying to figure out if it will be harder than TP… i hate the stylus on DS -_-

ugh… sorry for being so vague…. umm, what i ment is that we were trying to figure out if PH will be harder than TP mainly because of the stylus

Shinigami Ninja said:But for most Nintendo Systems imported games work fine on them. I’ll wait for the English versions of anything though.

Actually, Nintendo has gone to great lengths in the past to make sure imports cannot be played on home consoles. It’s only the portables that are in a universal format. I’ve had to get both a freeloader boot-disc for my gamecube/wii, and an adaptor for my SNES, because I moved from the US to Australia. The SNES was the biggest problem, because the US SNES is incompatible with the australian AC adaptor - so I couldn’t even hook my US system up to a compatible TV and play on that.

Jack the Ripper said:

i dont think thats right that they do that -_- i could have so many fire emblems if that problem didnt exist

Shinigami Ninja said:I think it will be harder. I’ve had problems drawing magic in other games because of the stylus, even with clean screens.

i have problems with the stylus too,it hurts my hands to hold small things

I don’t have that problem but it does feel awkward sometimes. My biggest problem is that it doesn’t sense the touch right. I hope that I die at least once per boss.

Shinigami Ninja said:

my problem is that I always lose the stupid stylus :P ! to avoid this problem,and to avoid a mob of chew-crazy cats leting my cats find it before me,I always make sure either 1) im using it or 2) its actually in the DS.it sounds like a good enough idea untill you play a game where you need to “tap here to make it look like the stylus is useful activate…..something” and you end up dying before you get the stylus out.ive actually had that happen on a number of ocasions while I was playing “the new super mario bros.” on VS mode with my brother :( .from the looks of thing PH is going to be that kind of game,only worse (I can asure you I will die a few times while playing PH ;) )…I suppose the only option I have is to hold the stupid stylus while I play……….problem is I cant press the buttons right then -_-’ .

Ninja Lord Kakashi said:

Shinigami Ninja said:

Mouth. Hold it by the fat end in your mouth and wip it out when you need it. Also, you probably won’t need the a,b,x,y buttons. It’ll use the d-pad to move and the stylus like an “a” button. that’s just my guess, I don’t really know, of course.

Hmm, well, if the game play works the way I think it does, then it shouldn’t be a problem for me. I think it works kinda like the game play of RuneScape, where you tap an area to move your character. Of course, if sword swinging is done by stylus, then it should be easy just to hold the stylus in your hand while pushing the buttons. Multi-tasking isn’t that hard once you get used to it ^_^ I own Star Fox Command, and most of the movement is done by stylus (while the firing button is almost every other button on the game, including the d-pad)

Super Mario 64 DS worked well with the touch screen, while the d-pad became a,b,x,and y. What I liked about 64DS, was that there were 3 control configurations.

My biggest problem is that I’m a lefty. When you play most games left hand mode the letter buttons become the d-pad and vice-versa. It feels way too awkward to use round buttons for movement, plus you don’t have as smooth control.

When does the Tingle game come out again?

Shinigami Ninja said:Mouth. Hold it by the fat end in your mouth and wip it out when you need it.

that would probably work….or I suppose I could just pay attention to where I put the stylus ^_^ ‘ .

im hoping that PH will be like some of the other DS games where the buttons do the same thing as tapping the touch screen (call me an old school gamer,but I dont exactly get into poking the screen ;) ).

sniper said:

I could never figure out how to use the touch screen for that game……mario always died before I could press the buttons :( .

that must be hard.

When does the Tingle game come out again?

some time in 2007………*screams* thats this year :o !!!!!!! *faints*

I cannot wait for this game… so many good games are coming out this year. It’s gonna be great.

Ninja Lord Kakashi said:

that must be hard.

It is, I play it right handed so my drwing is usually not the best, but I get by. I can’t snipe on Metroid Prime Hunters very well either, not that the sniper is any good. I think operating the boomerand and swinging a sword should work fine.

Legend of Link said:

so many good games are coming out this year. It’s gonna be great.

besides PH, what games :? ?

Legend of Link said:

so many good games are coming out this year. It’s gonna be great.

besides PH, what games :? ?

Project H.A.M.M.E.R., Metroid Prime 3 (hopefully), possibly Orb, SSBB, That’s all I can think of.

Shinigami Ninja said:

oh…metroids samus right :? if so what are metroid games like?

isnt fire emblem supposed to come out some time this year too?

Sesshorochikuramaru said:

speaking of missing people…anyone know were uberzeldamaster is?

dont worry, im here, its just… ugh… schools been a real hassle lately… im still trying to be active! :D Anyway… why in the world does Japan get evrything first?! (mom slaps me in face) “Maybe that’s because they make the stuff, GENIUS!” *sigh* if im lucky, im getting a book on japanese and im going to apply their language. It’s really interesting. i already know a couple of words. Konichiwa, TML-san. ^_^

uberzeldamaster said:

haha well i guess that makes sense :) but its still not fair i should learn jappanese sometime too…BTW what does konichiwa mean :? ?

Konichiwa means good morning/hello. i didnt like all those mean jokes *sniffle* i commit suicideeeeee! *jumps off bridge* oh well. Japanese get evrything. Me love Zelda! stupid Japan marketing.

uberzeldamaster said:

oh so thats what it means ^_^ .. anyways, i was just wondering were you were :} like you said japan probally gets the game first because they make it, but still i think they should release it at the same time for the all of the world, it seems more fair, i think

uberzeldamaster said:

They’re just elitists.

Shinigami Ninja said:

oh…metroids samus right :? if so what are metroid games like?

Metroid is a side-scroller/platform shooter franchise, the spin-off series Metroid Prime is a first person Shooter platformer with beautiful environments and great music. Also it doesn’t use a dual analog control, of course, on the wii, nothing does.

Mirelena said:

uberzeldamaster said:

They’re just elitists.

Shinigami Ninja said:

oh…metroids samus right :? if so what are metroid games like?

That was my post. I accindentally did it under my sisters account. Its complicated.

uberzeldamaster said:Anyway… why in the world does Japan get evrything first?! (mom slaps me in face) “Maybe that’s because they make the stuff, GENIUS!” *sigh* if im lucky, im getting a book on japanese and im going to apply their language.

its possible that they first release the games in japan so they can find out wheather or not the games will sell good….or sell at all,then-provided they do make enough money off of it-they release it to other parts of the world since they know that it sells good and they wont just be waisting there money.i’ll be honest though,I dont have any idea as to how the difference between the japanese currency and the other countrys currency would effect the sales.or perhaps it is because they made it that they get it :? .

Wheres TML? It looks a little bit like Dark Mime Gogo’s Jack situation… Maybe… no, thats ridiculous. I dont want to think that they’re dead.

Anyway, Japan gets everything first because

1. They make the stuff

2. They are acting stupid on us

3. They are being *navi* holes

or 4. They are testing the stuff, like somebody said.

Of course, it doesnt really matter to me if PH comes to the US at the same time or no, i dont think ill like it very much (As for Tingle, i hope he dies and dies hard in a tsunami!).

uberzeldamaster said:Of course, it doesnt really matter to me if PH comes to the US at the same time or no, i dont think ill like it very much.

because of the sloppy graphics? that kinda made me not look forward to it very much..

aye sesshorochikuramaru. the graphcs sucked and i dont think ill be able to adapt to making Link move with the stylus and ONLY the stylus. i think i saw a trailer on E3 that said you will use the stylus to make Link move, and nothing else.

uberzeldamaster said:

yeah, that would be really hard…im playing LOZ right now(im on the last level ;) but i digress) and that kind sounds more easy then using only the stylus to move(ohhh i hate that thing)

only the stylus 0_o ? *falls over* …

uberzeldamaster said:

He’s fine. He emailed me back about my identity crisis, which is now all cleared up. (See post 67 & 68)

Ninja Lord Kakashi said:

only the stylus 0_o ? *falls over* …

It won’t be that hard. I’ve doen stuff like that before with Tao: Curse of the Demon Seal, that was easy. The game sucked rocks though. One town, one dungeon. The dungeon was a tower and you just kept going up the tower to the top. It gets really boring do to lack of depth and environmental diversity. And the spell were really boring with hard to remember names and harder to remember symbols. Speaking of magic, I’d like to see Nayru’s Love, Farore’s Wind and Din’s Fire make a comeback one of these games. And that cool barge of the dead-like ship from the OoT shadow temple. That was cool. I don’t know why but lately I’ve been having this thing for ship deck combat and boarding action. I think its because of one piece o_O. that would be cool if you could board ships in PH!!

Shinigami Ninja said:And that cool barge of the dead-like ship from the OoT shadow temple. That was cool. I don’t know why but lately I’ve been having this thing for ship deck combat and boarding action. I think its because of one piece o_O. that would be cool if you could board ships in PH!!

one…piece? so then are they finaly done waisting time in the desert :P ? (I actually stopped watching it because I HATE ussop it was getting so repetitious).anyways that would be cool if you could board ships and actually fight on them in PH.also its possible that the boat in OOTs shadow temple is the same as the ghost ship in TWW (speaking of, while your in the ghost ship look at the ceiling…kinda creepy for a cel-shaded game :P ).

Ninja Lord Kakashi said:

On cartoon network, almost. In the US release of the manga, they’re just starting, in the Japanese release/english scanlations, theyv’e been done with that for ages, in the japanese Anime, they’re way ahead of the desert.

I heard that they stopped making One-Peice in the US… its still going strong over in Japan. Like i said before. The Japanese get everything, and why? Because they make it! *grumbles* it doesnt help the case whether or not they make it. Zelda is received over there first. Woop-dee-freakin-do.

uberzeldamaster said:

And because 4kids screws the flippin hell out of everything. They erased entire arcs out of the show because of Mr.3 and they’d drop episodes because someone would fart. DAMN THEM TO HELL!!!

“drop episodes because someone would fart”? hee hee hee! that was funny. oh well. I actually liked watching Monkey fart (or at least i think thats his name).

uberzeldamaster said:

It’s Luffy. Monkey D. Luffy, but its in the Japanese format of Family Name first.

oh, ok. i remember now. i have a bed time of 8, so i could never watch it much :p

uberzeldamaster said:

That sux. Its not that great anyway. Not the english dub. The japanese dub is better. they have it at animemangafun.com but the anime is broken right now.

ah, darn it. i was thinking of looking at FullMetal Alchemist on it… i love alchemy! the concept of transmutating objects into a totally new, yet totally related, object, is fascinating… *mouth drools*

Well, that’s not how real alchemy was supposed ot be. The idea of real-world alchemy was to turn lead into gold. When that failed they tried other metals. That’s how they discover brass and several alloys.

not only that, but there was the universal solvent. the universal solvent was supposed to dissolve anything and everything. the only thing it couldnt dissolve? O.O this is weird… the only thing it cant dissolve is wax O.o…

thats pretty funny :D .

yeah, thats what i thought the first time i saw it. then, get this, i was reading a MENSA riddle book, and it was showing a picture of a man holding a vial with a liquid in it, and a king. the caption read, “A scientist tells the king that he has discovered a substance that will dissolve anything. How does the king know the scientist is lying?” The freakin scientist was holding the substance in a glass bottle. Stupid scientist.

Legend of Link said:

so many good games are coming out this year. It’s gonna be great.

besides PH, what games :? ?

Super Mario Galaxy. :)

I’m going to buck the trend here and say that as a former fanfiction writer, I wouldn’t want ‘em to bring it on. Yes, I have a fondness for AUs. I’ve written one, and even though it’s not exactly the best-written fic out there, I still have a soft spot for it. It was that much fun.

But it was fun because it was a total flight of fancy, tied to the Zelda universe but not grounded to any particular canon. I loved trying to figure out how to weave elements of the games into a modern setting. It was the leap that made it exciting. If there were a game set in the modern day, I’d feel limited by that new canon.

Besides, when it comes to the games, I’m a traditionalist. Leave the crazy nonsense to fanfiction, where we can choose to take it or leave it.

Yeah, I’m a fuddy-duddy. My car gets forty rods to the hogshead, and that’s the way I likes it.