18 Months of ZeldaBlog

April 1st, 2007 at 10:02 pm by The Missing Link

When I originally launched ZeldaBlog back on the first of October in 2005, I had not been thinking that far into the future to realise that our half-birthdays (or half-anniversaries, I’m not sure which one websites celebrate) would always be on April Fool’s Day. It literally only came to mind toward the middle of March ‘06 when I began planning our first April Fool’s Day prank. However, of all the days to have for a half-whatever, I honestly think that I timed it such that it fell on the best possible day of the year to have it on.

Today… ZeldaBlog has turned 1½.

However, before we go into that… if you haven’t figured it out by now… APRIL FOOL’S! Darth Citrus and I were extensively pondering all the possible pranks that we could pull this year, and we couldn’t think of any real elaborate ones that didn’t require months of prep time, and so in a flash of inspiration, I came up with a much lower key one instead.

The brilliant (or annoying, your choice) part of it was that it was going to be very subtle, a major (but theoretically believable) lie embedded in the middle of an otherwise very serious article. For those of you wondering about the origin of this article, no, I didn’t create this solely for the purpose of pranking you; on the way to work about two weeks ago, I came up with this crazy idea for an interview with Shiggy and Eiji which would cover each Zelda game in the series, but one question about each only. It’d be the niftiest way to cover the series from start to finish and honour the 20 years of Zelda whilst looking at the future at the same time. It truly was a very serious article idea.

It wasn’t until several days after that when I came up with the idea for the AFD prank (the secret, nonexistent, alternate ending to Twilight Princess, which incidentally started out as being a marriage scene between Link and Zelda… but evolved from there), and a few hours later I decided to merge the two ideas, embedding the AFD prank within the one-sided interview article. I had created the proverbial Trojan horse, and I wanted to see—as an experiment—how well this AFD prank would fare.

The results? Well, we had many people fell for it. However, people also figured it out… and I’m actually not surprised by that. The secret to making a good AFD prank is to make something that is at the very limits of believability. People will jump at it at first, desperately thinking that it has to be true… but upon a closer look, they realise that it’s a complete fake. Honestly, if there was such an ending, GameFAQs would know, there’d be a video on YouTube, and other Zelda fansites would have certainly reported on it. But no, no such evidence exists anywhere on the Internet, and I certainly didn’t bolster my claim by linking to it. While some might consider me mean, heartless, even cruel(!) for this AFD joke, anyone who had done their homework should have recognised it for what it was. In a certain light, it really wasn’t about me fooling you… but you fooling yourselves… ;)

At any rate, the April Fool’s question has been stricken through and replaced with the actual question I would ask about Twilight Princess. Be that as it may, the spoiler tag on the topic will remain. Even though the secret alternate ending is very much fake, it still hints at information presented in the real ending of the game. I could just remove the question completely, but I want to leave the April Fool’s question in the article for posterity’s sake. If you do want to read the proposed interview questions, however (they really are some serious, deep, good questions there), if you trust yourself to skip past the fake Twilight Princess question (which is the only text in the article in a different colour of text than the rest of the article), rest assured that there are no spoilers in the rest of the article for your eyes to accidentally feast upon. Or you can wait until you’ve beaten the game… or for when the Spoiler Rule expires on May 19. Your choice.

Anyway, outside of the whole April Fool’s thing, as I said earlier, today was officially our half-whatever, making us one and a half years old. (Huzzah!) I have absolutely enjoyed building this site, crafting articles for you a few times a week (most weeks), and talking about Zelda nearly 24/7. I never thought that this site would make it this far when I first created it, but overall it has become one of the most unique sites in the community, and one of my favourites. (Of course, I am biased.) Recently, Zelda Dungeon even rated this little corner of the community the ninth best Zelda website in the community, giving us an excellent write-up for the award. (Thanks, Mases!) More than anything, I’ve also enjoyed quite thoroughly getting the chance to affect so many ZeldaBlog readers in any given day. I think our site stats show that we get 500-600 visitors every day (with quite a few more today for our AFD extravaganza!), and I’m absolutely thrilled to know that this site—which started out as a community experiment, I’ll remind you—has accumulated such a strong readership.

So I propose a toast of some variety to the site, and I certainly hope that we’ll have another 18 months (and hopefully many more!). And beware of next year! There’ll most certainly be another prank 365 days from today, so make sure you’ve got your Master Sword ready. You never know what I’ll cook up next time. Mwahahaha!

Filed under Announcements

Follow This Entry | Read Other Posts by The Missing Link

69 Messages from the Gossip Stones about “18 Months of ZeldaBlog”

Comments

Bravo and congratulations to ZeldaBlog!

Alternate ending. Oy, you got me.

I’m really glad to have found this site, what with people who actually take a careful and fairly mature look at the Legend of Zelda, giving it the kind of respect it deserves.

Cheers.

Bravo TML and congratulations on the success of the Zelda Blog and we all look forward to celebrating the next Zelda Blog anniversary for many years to come.

Yeah, nice one. You even got some jack-a*navi* to play along. But as soon as people were avoiding any explanation I figured it was a bunch-o-scheiss.

Long live TML.

Long live the Legend of Zelda.

LONG LIVE ZELDABLOG!

I’ll pipe down now. :)

I still hate April fool’s day. Honestly though, last year you really got me goin’. I still didn’t know that you pulled that kind of stuff on april fools day and I was shocked and disgusted to hear that Jessica simpson might play Zelda. That’s just wrong. if the ever did make a Zelda movie I would want one with little known actors and actresses. Otherwise it would seem too generic.

Shinigami Ninja said:

*laughs* The cast of the movie last year was chosen for that very reason, to horrify anyone who believed it was true. At the same time, the completely oddball cast was done solely for the purpose of putting it—as I mentioned—on the edge of believability so that people would be able, on their second glance, to realise that it was hopelessly untrue. :D

Us fooling ourselves? Oh, you are good TML. I’ll give you that much.

(Actually, in my opinion, I think ur right. People should have looked beneath the surface if this genious prank. Which I did.)

Happy 1.5 Birthday ZeldaBlog. Hip-Hip-Hooray!!

I figured the alternative ending was a fake,I just couldnt figure out why you made it up :P .then I read the posts for the article and realized it was april fools day -_- .

anyways,congratulations on the site….half birthday…anniversary….thing TML :P .

Shinigami Ninja said: if the ever did make a Zelda movie I would want one with little known actors and actresses.

I love this site and everyone on it. If you ever stopped, I would keep this site going on by myself.

Oh joy, say… Windmill man, did you just change your profile because of what I posted in the previous article?

I’m sure quite a few people were ltao after I posted that… heheh…

SAM THE CUCKOO! GO SAM!

happy 1½ :) i’ve been here for close to a year

Ninja Lord Kakashi said:any zelda movie with real actors/actresses in it would be incredibly lame.now if they made it with anime graphics that would be another story ;) .

i remember when the mario cartoon was on…anyway your right brother, an anime would be cool and movies with real people in it are lame :P

happy 1½ :) i’ve been here for close to a year

What about Scarface, the Godfather Saga, or V is for Vendetta?

Wow, I hadn’t realized that 1 1/2 years have gone by! Coolies! I haven’t realized that i’ve been sitting in this Cubicle for 1 1/2 years as well, (which is how I came across this site in the first place, sitting in this cubicle, bored out of my mind, and surfing the net.) At least I have this blog and several other Zelda sites to keep me entertained and from going insane! Plus, I’ve really grown fond of this community as well! From TML’s Constant nagging on double postings, to Darth Citrus’s huge explinations! Ah, I love it here, and I hope to see this site go to 5 1/2 years & +!!!! Congrats, ZeldaBlog!!

Dark Mime Gogo said:
    What about Scarface, the Godfather Saga, or V is for Vendetta?

haha this should tell you something…what are those :? and no im not a little kid, i just act like one ^_^ but seriously i really dont watch any much movies :)

Okay, then… What about Star Wars?

And Godfather Saga and Scarface are movies about gangsters and mobs. Both happen to star Al Pacino, coencidence?

Dark Mime Gogo said:

Okay, then… What about Star Wars?

i watched the animated starwars ^_^’ but not the real one

Dark Mime Gogo said:

Okay, then… What about Star Wars?

I never watched star wars (or any of the other movies you named for that matter :) ) so I cant say wether or not I like them.all I know is that it would be…awkward…to see some real actor trying to dress up like link :P .

Ninja Lord Kakashi said:all I know is that it would be…awkward…to see some real actor trying to dress up like link :P .

or tingle :D that would be very awkward

or tingle :D that would be very awkward

omg. dont even mention his name around me. as it was said in that one Poll’s Voice, “Uh! Just, like, hearing his, like, name, like, bursts my personal bubble!”… ok, one more thing. Huzzah! Hooray ZeldaBlog! And even more huzzahs .^_^.!

uberzeldamaster said:omg. dont even mention his name around me.

ok fine ;) .. i just wanted to say how weird it would be for him to be in a real movie :P

Zeldablog is the greatest thing since you could find Rupees in the grass!

i dont know, being able to find rupees in the grass made the game a bit easier :? . they fixed that in TP though im just glad you didnt say “since sliced bread”

Congrats! I’m sure this site will have many more fantastic years. This site rocks!

yeah! go ZB! yeah! woohoo… ok, im bored (but only a little bit ;) )

Oh, I’ll be ready for ya, TML! Dont you worry! And happy half-birthday to ZeldaBlog!!

Dark Mime Gogo said:
    What about Scarface, the Godfather Saga, or V is for Vendetta?

OMG. No way. You at least have to know of SCARFACE for Farore’s sake!! The Godfather rules too, and V for Vendetta is my favorite movie of all time. Where have you been kid???lol

OK, to the actual topic. I knew that the joke wasn’t true….. after searching YouTube for like 3 hours…. literally. ^_^ But yeah, I can’t wait for your scheme next year TML. And three alcohol-influenced Scottish medieval soldier cheers to ZeldaBlog! Yeah, don’t ask ;)

Josephina said:

Dark Mime Gogo said:
    What about Scarface, the Godfather Saga, or V is for Vendetta?

Holy crap. I totally didn’t realize that April Fool’s didn’t happen until today.

Is that normal? I don’t think it is. It seems I don’t realize that a holiday is going to happen until… well… the day it happens! (Except for Independence Day and Christmas… and sometimes Easter, which is coming up soon). Maybe it’s because I don’t have a calendar… I dunno.

Anyway… happy One-and-a-half ZB. I remember when ya first started.

Legend of Link said:

Anyway… happy One-and-a-half ZB. I remember when ya first started.

Yeah, Easter is on sunday. If you didn’t know it was april fools day I’m guessing that you got duped good.

Shinigami Ninja said:Your mad that she hasn’t seen ganster movies that no one I know has seen when neither her nor her cinematically deprived brother have seen StarWars?! Those movies defined the half of the sci-fi genre that star trek didn’t.

starwars looked cheap (I actually did see 5 minutes of it),all the aliens looked like mascots :? (exept maybe those dinosaurs).

Well, Star Wars was filmed in the ’70s. The times back then just weren’t as advanced as todays technology. Even still, they were awesome movies. still are.

im no movie expert (obviously :? ),Im just saying the aliens were disappointing :P .

Ninja Lord Kakashi said:

What Dinosaurs?! And it’s not about the Aliens man, it’s about the STORY!

Geez, buncha graphic whores, kids nowadays… *grumblegrumble*

i dont know, i never really get into space things(except DBZ,but then again thats an anime ;) )

your telling me the aliens play no role in starwars ? and here I thought it was a space based movie ;) .seriously though,I know the storys more important than the mascots aliens,problem is I didnt get to see much of that :P .

Buy the freakin’ movies, why don’t you? Ask them for your birthday. Borrow them from a friend. THEN you’ll see how sorely wrong you are :D .

Dark Mime Gogo said:

hey, i never said i hated star wars, its just, im not really a movie person, i have a hard time watching tv for longer than a half hour. :)

i cant remeber if this was mentioned earlier in the article… but what if they made a zelda movie (they would probably make him wear scottish pants XD)? and for all you skeptics, Man Skirts ROCK (besides, Link wears one, you non-believers -_- i rest my case)!

uberzeldamaster said:

YOU EVIL PERSON!!! THEY ARE NOT SKIRTS!! THEY ARE KILTS!!! I COULD GET ABOUT TWENTY PEOPLE TO COME KILL YOU FOR THAT!! Sorry, bagpipers are sensitive about that. And Link wearsa tunic, it lust looks like a kilt because of the belt. Kilts are generally pleated and they have a certain clan’s tartan patern.

if nintendo made a zelda movie,you know link would most likely be a kid in it

if nintendo made a zelda movie,you know link would most likely be a kid in it

Why do you say that?

Comment section = forum?

if nintendo made a zelda movie,you know link would most likely be a kid in it

Why do you say that?

look at the majority of the games,hes a kid in most of them, plus if the movie had real actors it would be easier for them to find a kid to play links part…i think

uberzeldamaster said:

Im half Scottish so ive had to wear a Kilt on more than one ocassion, the only problem is that they itch like hell but at least the breeze is refreshing, lol.

if nintendo made a zelda movie,you know link would most likely be a kid in it

Why do you say that?

Then Zelda would be a kid too probably. As long as its not Dakota fanning. I don’t like her. She plays just about every role for a pre-teen girl in every recent movie. Its annoying. Besides, her Zelda would suck. I like an idea of adult Link movie done in anime.

uberzeldamaster said:

I bet that was fun. I haven’t yet had to wear one, (I’m just learning the pipes) but someday I’ll don my Kilt and scream at the top of my lungs. Or not. I’ll just play Bagpipes at Whistle Binkies and Rochester Fest with the rest of the band. And maybe do some for my sister’s Metal band.

Dark Mime Gogo said:

I never said I hated star wars,I just never watched it.if the stupid cartoon can hold my interest im sure the real thing could too,but like I said I never got a chance to watch it :P .also im thinking of getting FF 7 for my birthday so thats not an option :?

Shinigami Ninja said:Then Zelda would be a kid too probably.

im having a problem quoting this post(because its so long) but isnt zelda usualy around the same age that link is

Ninja Lord Kakashi said:

I’m sorry, I didn’t mean any offense

sorry, i know they are called kilts, i was just being stupid and quoting cosmo from Fairly Odd Parents (plus, i think my mind blanked at the time):P. and i didnt think of the belt over tunic thing, im always thinking of how people comment on how link doesnt wear pants…

if you look closely at tp, you’ll notice that Link is wearing pants, rather that a kilt like in Oot.
    P.S. Cosmo is the greatest.

blockquote>sniper said:

P.S. Cosmo is the greatest.

i didnt see that, ill have to look closer. P.S. no hes not! hes actually kinda stupid… :?

TO SESSHOROCHIKURAMARU:

I would have quoted but its all screwey like. Yes she is, thats so they can get married and all that jazz. But I don’t like little kids in live action movies too much. It always seems too corny.

if nintendo made a zelda movie,you know link would most likely be a kid in it

Why do you say that?

uberzeldamaster said:

There have been a few times when ive thought, “Wow, this must be how Link feels”, lol.

TO SESSHOROCHIKURAMARU:

…i dont like things like that either,there unrealistic…

Congragulations, Zeldablog! That April Fool’s Day joke was funny. I haven’t beaten TP yet so I wasn’t sure what to belive. :)

uberzeldamaster said:

sniper said:

P.S. Cosmo is the greatest.

Link is wearing beigish pants under his kilt. P.S. Cosmo’s stupidity is what MAKES him the greatest.

sniper said:
    Link is wearing beigish pants under his kilt.

his pants are actualy white in OoT…but i think he only wears a tunic when hes a kid

sniper said:
    Link is wearing beigish pants under his kilt.

Here’s a thought. Google image search. Or play the game again. I don’t fell like doing either right now.

i hope this link works…its pictures from the N64 OoT

as for TP im not sure if its a spoiler or not…but i guess if you dont want to know what color pants link wears in TP dont scroll down :?
    however in TP he has brownish pants

sorry for double posting but my link didnt go to the proper picture -_- i ment the one with his blue tunic…after kid link… sorry

HE has white pant with a white shirt under a tunic of varying colors. He never once wears a kilt.

yeah….i never said he wore a kilt

yeah….i never said he wore a kilt

I know. Others have however. And those pics you link to point that out nicely.

Shinigami Ninja said:I know. Others have however. And those pics you link to point that out nicely.

oh.. i thought you said i said he had a kilt…

sniper said:
    Link is wearing beigish pants under his kilt.

In the concept art for tp, you can see that Link is also wearing a golden mail under his tunic.

yeah….i never said he wore a kilt

I know. Others have however. And those pics you link to point that out nicely.

Wouldnt it be funny if Link wore a Kilt in a future game, it could be called,”The Legend of Zelda Kilt of Illusions”, lol.

I’d like to see the red tunic from alttp in Kilt of Illusions.

yeah….i never said he wore a kilt

I know. Others have however. And those pics you link to point that out nicely.

It would be like Majora’s Mask, but instead of collecting masks, you’d collect outfits.