I’m in Your Games… Addin’ to Your History!

March 29th, 2007 at 8:28 pm by The Missing Link

I promised. I threatened. I want to hear your opinions.

One of the things that I don’t think has been done anywhere that I’ve seen in the community is an official poll about how strongly people care about the relationships of the Zelda games amongst one another. To a large extent, the community is polarised between caring and not caring, but I have a hunch that there’s actually a gradient of opinions, people who care a little or a small bit as opposed to none at all or 100 percent. I’m certain some people actually were eager to know that Majora’s Mask was a direct sequel to Ocarina of Time… or that Wind Waker took place “100 years” after that. So for this Poll’s Voice, I want to hear your thoughts about what you think about history within the timeline.

As always, the actual responses to the poll are extremely exaggerated, so please don’t not pick an extreme choice one way or the other because it’s “too extreme”! (I don’t think that anyone really believes any particular point of view exactly as written!) Just pick one that seems to fit closest with the way you think.

So... about history... To what degree should previous Zelda titles play a role in new Zelda games? (Or in other words, how much a factor should timeline be in new Zelda games?)
View Results

Filed under Timeline, Poll's Voice

Follow This Entry | Read Other Posts by The Missing Link

50 Messages from the Gossip Stones about “I’m in Your Games… Addin’ to Your History!”

Comments

I like this poll, TML. It does seem that people are a little wishy-washy when it comes to caring or not caring about the timeline (or timelines???? dun dun dun! ;) ). Now we can know everyone’s true overexaderated opinion! ;)

I, personally, love timeline debates. I almost NEVER post in one though, cause I know they can get nasty and I don’t want to deal with it.

Now that I see the options, I’m not too sure which one would suit me best. I love timelines and I’m always up for a good debate (whether or not I’m well-armed), and I think history does play an important role in the series; you can’t believe otherwise with the same villain coming back forty times: history HAS to repeat itself. But is the history of one game vitally important to another, especially now that we’ve got an official split timeline?

Hurray, confusion. :D

Well I seem to be in the popular category :D Whilst I don’t particularly take notice of strict timelines… I do love references in games to past examples in the series. I love the little details! And exploring the Zelda world and finding them just puts the icing on the cake :)

I believe that a timeline can benefit games that are going to be continued. It makes more sense when you can relate to the little details, such as when you get to the top of the clock tower in majora’s mask, link has a flashback of when zelda gives him the ocarina of time.

The fact that the Zelda games have their own history is one of the major things I love about them. The timeline theory is an actual headache which I don’t like to think too much about, but I do like the little references that you find to previous games like the stained glass windows in Hyrule Castle in Wind Waker filled me with glee, the Imprisoning War being turned into OoT and the Skull Kid remembering you as the funny Ocarina kid in Majora’s Mask. It just adds to that feeling of being sucked into Hyrule as you play- it’s like recognising the the things that get parodied on TV and feeling just that little bit cleverer for getting it.

Well, as of right now we can assume that no one here is named Grog.

I think that it would be bad if Nintendo put too many in game references to other games. It would make people who really play games for story not want to start playing Zelda if they haven’t before. I’m always hesiteant to buy anything 2 or 3 if I haven’t played the one before, until I learn wether or not the story of the previous one has much impact.

More polls Sir TML, I say more polls.

haha i like the grog one ;) but that wasnt me who voted for that one..a back story in a zelda game is good enough for me :)

If nintendo released a timeline that wasn’t made in thirty seconds then I would say, Hey cool, Thats interesting. But with the one they’ve released, I think it sucks.

I get the feeling that most people who read ZeldaBlog are either going to love timelines, or want to see some previous history.

Oh well, at least for future debate we can say:

“90% of the intellectual elite who write for, and read ZeldaBlog want a timeline, thus we should have a timeline to keep the core Zelda players going.”

I think Grog may have had a very abusive childhood. ^_*

History is important, but it shoudn’t be the main point of the story- every game needs to add something to the story, but not have that be the only thing it does. o_o Did that make sense to anyone but me?

Darn, I wanted a middle of the middle. XD I like timelines… to a point. I’ll admit I got giddy when I noticed connections between LttP and TP; still, I’m no timeline purist. But I kind of like some indication of where-am-I-in-Hyrule’s-time?, so I went with choice 2. :)

I want to know what brutish punk is really Grog in disguise.

I’m actually in between the two middle choices, but I chose the top one because I thought I was a bit closer to that one.

Emily said:

Wow, its been a while since I posted. Anyways, yeah, I picked the 2nd choice. Ur right, i was really excited too when I found out about the LttP-TP connection. Alota nostalgia there.

I was torn between choice three and grog :D .I chose three though.I think if nintendo keeps forcing the games to fit in some make believe time line the games are going to start to lose something.

……I wonder who grog is…..

The sad part is that there are a lot of gamers like Grog.

I think that all of the Zelda games should be connected someway. Just something that will make you say “Oh, I remember that.” The future games shouldn’t require you to know anything about previous games for the full story.

………… grog made me laugh, now my ribs hurt. *grunt*

i voted for the top choice :D what nintendo should do now is release a timeline that they think about for a long time. but… like i said… WW seems to be the odd man out. it doesnt fit anywhere except in the haziest of solutions. TML, make a WhoseBlog? about timelines and timetravel within the zelda games (just a note id like to throw in; THE SEQUAL TO TP BETTER BE BETTER THAN TP!).

Ninja Lord Kakashi said:

……I wonder who grog is…..

And yes, GROG is just like that.

This post made possible by the Wii Internet Channel! Just thought I’d try this… ;)

i STILL dont have a wii… :p

i gotta go, tornados are heading toward us. but before i go…

wii (pun intended ;) ) need to start a rating system on the games. which ones we played, which ones wii (once again, pun intended) have already played, we need to rate them, so that when we learn about each others opinions of the game we are rating, we will learn about what types of things stump us in real life. like… im afraid of the shadows and unknown (coughcoughshadowtemplecough)
    just a quick mentioning.

Dark Mime Gogo said:

Ninja Lord Kakashi said:

……I wonder who grog is…..

And yes, GROG is just like that.

You should read Hagar the Terrible, lol.

BTW do any of you have your Wii’s working online yet? If so then why dont we swap our friend codes so that we can play against each other when Pokemon Coliseum comes out.

uberzeldamaster said:

i STILL dont have a wii… :p

i gotta go, tornados are heading toward us. but before i go…

just a quick mentioning.

Wii jokes are so last year.

And also, who said anything about a TP sequel? (post 19)

triforcelord31 said:

The sad part is that there are a lot of gamers like Grog.

Sadly, I know one. The only storyliines he cares about are KOTORII and Halo. I would also like to know of the connection between TP and LttP.

oh no. I forgot the connection between TP and LttP. Although I remember the connection between TP and OoT, which would be the Temple of Time and such.

Pliskin said:

If you have tp, then listen carefully to what is said in the last cutscene. It should spark a flame to the connection.

TML, polls are the greatest thing of life. They allow us ‘gossip stones’ to be heard! We have a voice and opinion, and polls help us see what other people think about issues, such as timelines. Excellent choices, too!

LJinx said:

Took the words right out of my mouth.

triforcelord31 said:

The sad part is that there are a lot of gamers like Grog.

now just because grog dosnt share your opinion on the matter dosnt make it sad ;) .seriously though whats the big deal if people only play the games to fight in them? especially in zelda,after all I think we can all admit that the plot in zelda can get repetitious (and as a result,a little boring),but the fighting never really does.

Dark Mime Gogo said:I believe Grog is a character of a daily comic strip known as BC, about prehistoric stuff, like the invention of the wheel and other weird and humourous things, though some deal a bit with religion, it’s done on a relatively minimal level (Compared to Family circus…)

And yes, GROG is just like that.

huh,who would have thought that grog actually has his own comic :P ?

When I read the Grog answer,I thought of that show, Dave the Barbarian.

sniper said:

Pliskin said:

What was the quote from the last cutscene? Can u remember? Just wondering…

I felt too lazy to read all of the already made comments, so I don’t know what people are arguing about. Anyways, what they could do is take back their time line and wait to release it until they come up with more games (along with a few spinoffs) and maybe we could work something out. I like to add things not normally accepted to my timeline, like the CD-i series and the cartoons, just to make it more interesting. I’ll eventually come up with something, and I promise not to slap it together in less than 30 seconds. One more thing, I voted for the top one.

You put the CD-i series in? howd u do that? is that even possible? (maybe it is)????????

I know the main atraction of Zelda should stay the gameplay, but the timeline is important after so many entries. You can’t just go and take the timeline away. You need some connections between past games. At least give you a push and keep the game interesting. I think the stories should stick to what they are doing. Have a simple story, but complex timeline. The story doesn’t have to off newcomers just give some added fun to old fans. So if wii (wii jokes are back in[says me]), the old fans, want the timeline who is it hurting?

kevin_gohma said:

(wii jokes are back in[says me])

dude, somebody agrees with me for once! I LOVE you (not really :p)! you know what? timeline and storyline are equally important. without the story, there would be no point in creating a timeline, because there is no reason to debate whether or not so and so event in oot spurred this in TP. so quit saying timeline is more important than story, and vice versa, they are equally one and the same.

I think nintendo just needs to think of a time line that makes sence :P .if you think about it,we dont have to count what nintendo says as cannon,that much is true,however what they count as the “official timeline” will become there guide to making the new zelda games.as a result,if the time line is bad…..the games will be bad too :o (well,probably not bad but less than they are now).

uberzeldamaster said:dude, somebody agrees with me for once!

i dont like the wii so make as many jokes as you can :P

Grog made me laugh really hard.

All right TML. I believe you have broken one of your own rules.(gasp!) You are guilty of flaming! (double gasp)

“Tarnation! I don’t see the point in any o’ this history stuffs, ya’ll! Just give me some indy-cation of what I’m a-doin’—they call that backstory in them fancy-schmancy circles—and that’ll set me up jus’ fine!”

we really don’t talk like that.

Mirelena said:

Same here. I do like the little past game references. I use that to try and form some sort of plausable timeline of my own… until my head starts to hurt.

volvagia99 said:
    we really don’t talk like that.

he probaly just got the idea from a cartoon ;)

Sesshorochikuramaru said:

volvagia99 said:
    we really don’t talk like that.

he probaly just got the idea from a cartoon ;)

i dont like to make fun, unless they make fun of my personal views first… oh well. it wasnt as funny as Grog though. and it does remind me of dave the barbarian :p

uberzeldamaster said:

nor do i, it just sounded like something from a older cartoon :)

volvagia99 said:
    Since this is obviously a jeer at southerners and since I am a southerner, I say that you are guilty of flaming.And furthermore…(continues rambling on and on until someone hits him in the head with a shovel)

he never said it was a southerner talking,you just asumed that it was.so technically you are guilty of flaming ;) .

Ninja Lord Kakashi said:

volvagia99 said:

……………..darn

Pliskin said:

sniper said:

Pliskin said:

What was the quote from the last cutscene? Can u remember? Just wondering…

I don’t want to spoil it.

Sesshorochikuramaru said:

uberzeldamaster said:dude, somebody agrees with me for once!

i dont like the wii so make as many jokes as you can :P

What’s wrong with Wii? What did it ever do to you? I have Wii, and it’s the greatest!

Wii is responsible for single handedly destroying GCN,delaying TP for a gazillion years,breaking windows,TVs,etc…,helping nintendo force people to spend there money on a console they really dont want just to play the games from there favorite series (I didnt have to do that…yet -_- ),having a very strange name (though thats forgivable :P ),and causing spoilers to be harder to dodge :D .

It wasn’t Wii’s fault, first of all. It was the dudes at Nintendo. And secondly, TP was prob gonna come out for gamecube, like, 3 years ago, if the didn’t bail on N64 DD. I was SOOOOOOOOO excited for N64 DD, and they just dropped it. It was odd, really. Same with virtual boy.

while it may be true that the people at nintendo delayed twilight princess,they only did it because of Wii…thus making it Wiis fault ;) .

sniper said:

fine, i guess seeing as it was nintendos doings i’ll forgive the wii…but not nintendo :P