A Link to Someone Else

March 20th, 2007 at 12:38 am by The Missing Link

I hate to make this the third Twilight Princess article in a row; I especially hate that this article will seem almost like a counterpoint to one of the previous Twilight Princess articles. However, the writer in me is an uncontrollable beast, and it will not simply toss an idea aside! Note, however, that this is not a spoiler topic; no juicy details are revealed… so please keep your comments generic and free from spoilers!

A Link to the Past has always been one of my favourite games. Quite literally, throughout the history of my gaming career, there have been only four games that, in my most humble opinion, have managed to best Link to the Past in terms of how much I liked it, and only two of those four are Zelda titles. (No, neither of them are Ocarina of Time.) However, despite the fondness that, 15 years later, I still have deep down for the title, I look back on it and wonder where the timelessness of the game is. Truly it’s an excellent title, and I don’t mean to imply anything but… because I’m not. What I mean to say is that, since I began playing the game as a young lad, I have very few truly significant memories from the game. They’ve all but vanished.

On the other hand, Link’s Awakening, a game I revisited significantly less than its spiritual sibling, is a game about which I have significant memories. While still high on my list of good games and good Zelda games, it is quite easily not within TML’s Top Ten… yet I can remember feeling more a part of that game that I ever did with A Link to the Past. There are more memories, more emotions, more connection with the title that most games I have ever played. One would almost think that I liked Awakening better the way I speak of it… but it’s not the case. One of the two—Awakening—houses all my fond memories; the other embodies the qualities of nothing short of video game of the utmost quality, perhaps the epitome of the perfect 2D adventure title.

The difference, I’ve found, stems a little character called Marin. She’s the major NPC in the game, taking over the traditional role of Zelda in the series (save for the fact that she never gets kidnapped, thank the goddesses!). And there’s nothing particularly noticeable or distinguishable about her from any other major character. Saria from Ocarina had as much character as Marin did. Malon was rather comparable to Marin recently (and not just because of the name difference.) Even Nabooru had the same inner fire as Marin did. Yet I did feel one major difference between Marin and most every other Zelda character: I felt as if I were truly playing a role in her life. From start to finish of the game, Marin is there with you. From the moment you wake up staring into her eyes until your last memories of her as the Wind Fish slowly arouses from its slumber, it’s easy to find Marin wherever she is. And when you do find her, you never quite know what to expect next. You might find yourself playing a song for her as she sings along with you in some sort of a duet, you might end up talking about the future and our dreams on the beach while the waves roll in, or you even might ask her along to come on a small adventure to move a sleeping walrus out of the way. She’s more than mere plot device as many of the Ocarina characters were; she’s human, and you can feel it; you can empathise with her. I felt as if everything she and Link did together mattered, mattered to me and mattered to her, as if somehow she and Link grew together so very deeply over the course of their brief encounter. For a moment, I truly cared for Marin. I cared for an NPC, and my cup of emotions spilled over.

The four games to rank higher than A Link to the Past (and indeed some of those just below) all share this quality with one or more of its characters. Perhaps it’s just me and my naïve view on things, but when I can find myself seriously that deep with any other character, when I become emotionally invested in another being, despite that he or she is completely fictional, the game is bound to rank high on my list. I end up playing much more than I should. I get to the end of the game and want to immediately replay it over again. I live out the best parts of it in my mind as I go from place to place. I write fiction about it. I am inspired. It’s like poetry to me in an alternate form; it’s like reading a novel that’s interactive. I gush with emotion.

(By the way, in case you’ve ever wondered TML’s Top Ten, here it is:

1. Tales of Symphonia, GCN
  2. Chrono Trigger, SNES
  3. Twilight Princess, Wii
  4. Wind Waker, GCN
  5. A Link to the Past, SNES
  6. Shadow of the Colossus, PS2
  7. Super Smash Bros.: Melee, GCN
  8. Super Mario Kart, SNES
  9. Secret of Mana, SNES
  10. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, DS)

Yes, I liked Twilight Princess… and Wind Waker… for the very reason that I felt a part of some other character’s life. You might even say that I fell in love with some of the characters in the game. For Wind Waker, I felt as if I was connected with Medli, Makar, and Tetra… always seeming to reappear in their lives whenever I didn’t expect it. In Twilight Princess, it was Midna, the small little group in Telma’s place (a group that touches me much stronger that you could ever know), and Rusl. The top two games on my list even get more connected as I start to relate with nearly the entire protagonist cast. There’s something about exploring those in-character relationships, clichéd as they may (or not) be, that just makes me fall for a game head over heels. And somehow I keep wanting more. I mean, imagine what Ocarina of Time could be like with a fleshed out dialogue, with Wind Waker’s and Twilight Princess‘ facial expression engine. Ocarina has tons of very strong characters in the game, and they’ve never truly felt real to me. Imagine what they could be like with just that little extra umph. I do believe it’s why the fanfiction community goes back to Ocarina time and time again; they’re trying to add that extra little dash of creativity to make it more alive than it ever was, to make it truly as memorable a game as it should be.

Maybe I’ve always been too critical on games that lack this trait, or maybe what I see in the Zelda series is very different from most other fans. But I think that involvement of the player, the bringing of the player into the realm of the imaginary world, is an important trait to have, and the best means to accomplish that is through characterisation. And since Link is a completely generic, zero-dimensional character that can become who you want him to be to begin with, those character-rich and expressive NPCs are the things that pull me into the game… and that makes all the difference in the world to me.

Filed under Twilight Princess, Shipping, Link's Awakening, Wind Waker

Follow This Entry | Leave a Response | Trackback | Read Other Posts by The Missing Link

105 Messages from the Gossip Stones about “A Link to Someone Else”

Comments

[TML: Strike one. Don’t spam. No one cares that you got the first post.]

i feel the exact same way. not having a two/three/four player option (excluding fourswords and fourswords adventures) can get very lonely. so i rather enjoy it when the npc’s remind me of real people. i think people like marin should appear more often and more npc’s need the sort of emotions a person in real life have. like MARIN! and, tml, this is too a spoiler topic! you mentioned midna’s name in the article! and Telma’s group, and Rusl! unless, you fix that a bit later. you could have intended it, though… i need to shut up :p

I THOUGHT I WAS THE FIRST TO POST! sorry for dp, but i was mentioning the article, not camadia’s post.

[TML: No one cares if you’re the first one to post either. So don’t double post about being the first one to post.]

I completely agree with you, Marin is by far the most memorable Zelda NPC and I too prefer LttP to many other games but possess no strong memories of the game besides its secrets. When it comes to Twilight Princess however the character that really struck me emotionally was Colin, watching him grow emotionally stronger and braver despite the changes in the world was really touching.

I really enjoyed LA too, but maybe because it was my first Zelda. They really should have put in more about Telma’s group in TP.

Camedia said:

First post! lol!

I thought that we determined this kind of thing to be SPAM in its most pure of forms.

uberzeldamaster said:

Well you know, no ones gonna know who Telma is or what Telma’ Place is or what the group is like. And Everyone knows about Midna. Its really not very spoilerish.

By the way, TML, nice choice for #1. You and I agree on that point very well. I also agree with you on how video games are like interactive novels, that’s how I feel, and that’s why I couldn’t finish the original Zelda. I never got to finish LA either. It’s my sister’s and she took it to college with her. It’s to bad that anything older than a GBA game doesn’t work on the DS, my GBA buttons are worn out.

uberzeldamaster said:

Notice how I said at the top that this is NOT a spoiler topic. I dropped three names. Two of those names are of characters currently publicly known and are on Twilight Princess‘ official website. Just saying the name “Telma” is like saying the “Cucco lady” of OoT; no one knows who she is. It’s not a spoiler; and I fully intended it that way.

Oh, thank BOB you mentioned Wind Waker. I seriously feel that game in particular gets far too little love. The exact emotions you mentioned that relates you to Marin, TML, are indeed how I feel about Medli and Makar. (Tetra… not so much, haha.)

Actually, the entirety of Dragon Roost Island is perhaps my favorite portion of the game. I feel like each and every Rito is an actual person, and that also goes for Baito, the weird guy who comes to work at the post office there. :D When I beat Wind Waker, I feel like I’ve truly accomplished something, for not only my character, but for every character I’ve met along the way. *incredible amounts of WW love*

This is one of the main reasons I love the Zelda series. All those misc. shooters and stuff, they have no life to them. Sure they are fun to play with friends, but without some real feeling, it dwindles down to nothing.

Hmm, maybe the game LA was so memorable, that Marin’s spirit broke through the digital realm and escaped into reality, living as a seagull in this world, staying alive more than a memory. It was great how they put so much feeling in the best games, with TP one of the best so far (and PH may come up later to support TP) and there are more games to come out one day to take the places of the games today.

I guess that’s where we fundamentally differ on Twilight Princess. I dislike it for the same reason, NPC’s. I really did connect with Oot far more than I did with TP, in fact, the only place I really felt I connected to a group of characters was the children scenes. I felt hyrule castle town, the goron mines, and kakariko all lacked that sort of emotional heart every zelda game has had because of it’s NPC’s. The fact that half the people in HCT didn’t talk was a major blow too.

TML said: ‘Maybe … what I see in the Zelda series is very different from most other fans.’

I cannot speak for others, but this is the biggest reason I play videogames also — for the people. It seems to me that this is also what makes classic books (like Les Miserables) so excellent: the people. Someone once told me something to the effect that they were a people person, not a book person. That seems to me to be a contradiction; I read books to know the people within them. As Orson Scott Card points out, though, the biggest problem with books is that they are static. The moment the author set down their pen (or keyboard), they changed. They became a slightly different person. But the characters within the book don’t change.

This, I believe, is why people who read lots of fictional books also tend to use their imagination often. They wonder what would have happened next, want to resolve problems not solved in the game. Eventually the character, somewhat like Pinocchio, becomes alive within our minds (if they are not already). Videogames, when created in a certain way, are simply a different kind of soil for characters to grow in.

And who knows? If recent theories about the nature of reality and probability are correct, somewhere out there this person really exists. Although I suspect the existence of other universes, I personally think that our current view of the multiverse is flawed. But until we have actual evidence one way or the other, fictional characters gain even greater power and credibility from the idea that they might be reflections of actual people who are (to paraphrase Terry Pratchett) only as distant as the depth of a shadow or the width of a sunbeam.

The Legend of Zelda is a perfect example. Listening to comments on here, it appears that pretty much everyone has strongly disliked some aspect or other of the games. Yet we return again and again. (All of you who dislike Twilight Princess ARE going to buy the next major Zelda game, aren’t you?) For me, it is because I want to know the entire history of Hyrule — every last delightful detail. And why do I want to know about the history? Because that is how you find out about the people.

Jumanji Shishioh said:

She’d still be dead. Seagulls only live for like 5 years. Honestly, I’ve not been able to see tis kind of stuff in the Zelda games at all. I’ve never really connected well to video games. I have with anime better than video games.

Finally, someone is giving Marin the respect she deserves.

For me, no matter how cliched the storyline may be, my favorite part of an RPG are the characters. Talking to people, whether it be hints or just to see what they say, has always been my favorite part.

I like Zelda games, alot, but for character involvement, Majora’s Mask and The Wind Waker nailed it. I loved being around characters like Tetra, Meldi and Maker, waiting to see how I would interact with them next. Female characters in OoT (Malon, Saria, Ruto and Nabooru) excluding Zelda felt real, and none of them were kidnapped (except for Nabooru, but she had some spunk to trust a ten year old kid to get ancient treasure from a temple). Sadly, the game never gave them alot of facial expressions. Thankfully, the Akira Himekawa manga of OoT fixed that problem.

Hopefully, Eiji Anomura will make the next Zelda game with a lot of memorable dungeons and alot of interesting characters. I liked TP, but the only NPC I really enjoyed was Midna.

call me an old school gamer but my best memories are with NES’s LoZ…anyways. i actualy havent played LA yet its on my “games i still have to play yet” list…but my brothers told me its a good game. i should make a top 10 list sometime ^_^

My first real in game connection was with Aerith in Final Fantasy VII, I cant quite understand what it was about her but something about her personality shone through the game and touched me in a profound way, maybe it was the fact that until FF7 I had never experienced in in-game character die in such a shocking and graphic way but I will always have a special place in my heart for Aeris, sorry I mean Aerith… or is it Aerisu?

BTW my top ten games are-

1.Final Fantasy VII
    2.The Secret of Mana
    3.The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess
    4.The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time
    5.The Legend of Zelda a Link to the Past
    6.Final Fantasy IX
    7.Metroid Prime
    8.Super Smash Bros Melee
    9.Final Fantasy X
    10.Golden Sun the Lost Age

I agree with your article TML,the more personality the characters have the more you want to help them.that always makes for a more interesting game :P .

this is what my top ten games would look like:

1)Fire Emblem 7
    2)Final Fantasy X
    3)Twilight Princess
    4)Final Fantasy V
    5)Majoras Mask
    6)Links Awakening
    7)The Wind Waker
    8)Super Smash Bros. Melee
    9)Final Fantasy VI
    10)Legend of Zelda

Matto said:

I really should have included Majora’s Mask in my list as well. In all honesty, that is the first game I ever played that actually felt as if it had a legitimate town that actually felt real. You actually got to help people with their lives; my only wish—in that vein, at least—was that the people outside of Clock Town exhibited the same sort of connection… and that those relationships didn’t get reset every three days (although that’s much the plot of the game, so I cannot get rid of that quite so much).

Emily said:

Well, I have to agree with you. When I finished Wind Waker, which was about two or three years ago, I was deeply moved about the Ritos. Mostly about the reluctant Prince Komali and his supervisor Medli. I loved them all so much that I almost wrote a story about them.
    That in it’s own though, is a whole nother story.

Top 10 List
    1. Wind Waker
    2. Twilight Princess
    3. Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney
    4. Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney Justice for All
    5. Lost in Blue
    6. Rivera; The Promised Land
    7. Ocarina of Time
    8. Trauma Center; Under the Knife
    9. Harvest Moon; It’s a Wonderful Life
    10. Pokemon Ruby (Which I got a complete Pokedex on, thank you very much!!!)

…the small little group in Telma’s place (a group that touches me much stronger that you could ever know)…

I completely agree with you about that group. They were amazing! I would love to hear your thoughts on this group in a more in-depth fashion. Perhaps a future article?

The Wolfess said:

It very well may become a future article. :D I shall put it into my Rainy Day Article list. :D

The small group was my favourite addition to Twilight Princess. What attracted me was the diversity of the group - these people never would have met, if it were not for their common cause. (and no, that was not a spoiler - I hope…)

The Wolfess said:

Well, today is a rainy day. For me at least.

1.Tales of Symphonia (GC)
    2.Metroid Prime
    3.Fire Emble 7
    4.Metal Arms: Glitch in the System
    5.Golden Sun
    6.TLoZ: Oracle of Ages
    7.Twilight Princess
    8.Ocarina of Time
    9.Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
    10.WarcraftIII:The Frozen Throne/Starcraft/Age of Empires II
    They’re all tied.

honkydory01 said:

That’s kind of what a group/clb is. Its a group of people who share a common interest or cause. So no, its not a spoiler. If you told them that the group is trying to resurrect Tingle, then that would be a huge spoiler.

Starlight Serenade said:

Emily said:

10. Pokemon Ruby (Which I got a complete Pokedex on, thank you very much!!!)

I didn’t know that was possible. I tried it a hundred times on Red and Silver, never did it.

Ok ^_^ it took me awhile but heres my top 10!

1st & 2nd(there tied). Fire Emblem 7 and or Final Fantasy V
    3.Fire Emblem: Fuuin no Tsurugi
    4.Final Fantasy X
    5.Final Fantasy VI
    6.Legend of Zelda
    7.Link to the Past
    8.Final Fantasy XII
    9.Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones
    10.Final Fantasy IV

i guess i dont have a big selection of series 0_o never noticed that before

Sesshorochikuramaru said:

Ok ^_^ it took me awhile but heres my top 10!

1st & 2nd(there tied). Fire Emblem 7 and or Final Fantasy V
    3.Fire Emblem: Fuuin no Tsurugi
    4.Final Fantasy X
    5.Final Fantasy VI
    6.Legend of Zelda
    7.Link to the Past
    8.Final Fantasy XII
    9.Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones
    10.Final Fantasy IV

i guess i dont have a big selection of series 0_o never noticed that before

The Wolfess said:

What did you think of Shad? I liked the guy but he was a total English stereotype, lol.

Shinigami Ninja said:I can tell that you like turn based RPG’s. You should try to pick up Skies of Arcadia. Its not the greatest graphics, but seeing as ow you’ve played GameCube titles I’m going to assume you don’t care a whole lot. Its got a great Ship to Ship Combat system. It’ll be hard to find but its a great game. I just got a little bored with the turn based battle system like I always do.

i’ll have to look that up later :)

Actually I’ll have to revise my list, there was one I forgot about.

1.Tales of Symphonia (GC)
    2.Metroid Prime
    3.Fire Emble 7
    4.Metal Arms: Glitch in the System
    5.Mech Warrior 4:Vengeance/Bleck Knight/Mercenaries
    6.Golden Sun
    7.Twilight Princess
    8.TLoZ: Oracle of Ages
    9.Ocarina of Time
    10.WarcraftIII:The Frozen Throne/Starcraft/Age of Empires II They’re all tied.

That’s it.

uberzeldamaster said:

ok, i get it now. my bad. my really bad. in that case, i really do need to shut up. oh, tml, i read this glitch where you can make Marin stay as your partner for the rest of the game! just go to gamefaqs.com! or, heres the url for the specific page that has the glitch. http://www.gamefaqs.com/portable/gameboy/file/563277/27573

ok. sorry for dp (again -_-’) but i had to let you know that the url will work, so if you are getting that page cannot be found- dont even point the finger at me. the glitch is pretty awesome, i dont have the game though… they also have one where the sprites for the moblins are rearranged to where it looks like marin’s holding a sword. i think that the glitch for the marin trick is harmful, and it requires the ability to do the screen warping glitch. to perform the screen warp glitch, press a direction during screen transition, and then press select. you will end up on the opposite side off the screen from where you normally appear. I.E. if you enter a screen from the right, you appear on the left side of the screen, right? doing screen warp will put you on the right side of the screen from entering the right. i dont quite know what happens yet visually, because i dont have the game XD credit for information about the glitch goes to jelly soup of gamefaqs.com. i am in no way the finder of any of the glitches described in that page. also, there is a warning somewhere near the beggining or end of the page, but it says that jelly soup is in no way responsible for damage done to the files, game, or gameboy itself. same goes for me. >_> _> i wish i had Link’s Awakening. *crys*

i absolutely HATE a link to the past for some stupid reason.It was waaayyyy too easy. I was at my friends house, and i beat it in 2 hours!!!!!not 2 shabby, eh ;) ? Still, i pity anyone who wants that game IT IS A REALLY BIG WASTE OF YOUR TIME AND MOOLAH! i am soo serious.

And my Top Ten?well, take a peek…

1.The Legend of Zelda:Ocorina of Time
    2.” ” Twilight Princess
    3.” ” Windwaker
    4.Super Smash Bros. Melee
    5….dunno!

master of windwaker said: Still, i pity anyone who wants that game IT IS A REALLY BIG WASTE OF YOUR TIME AND MOOLAH! i am soo serious.

LOL! i dont think so…

now that someone has posted, i can now issue forth MY top ten list.

1. Twilight Princess (for uber graphics, music, and gameplay)
    2. Super Smash Brothers Melee (i love it when characters from seperate games come together and duke it out)
    3. Majora’s Mask (c’mon, you dont think transforming into a deku scrub, goron, and zora (not to mention demy god/deity) is at least a little bit cool?)
    4. Ocarina of Time (i cant help it. this was what sparked my interest in the zelda series. my first game that was zelda related.)
    5. uhhhhh… i would have to say… LOZ? (i STILL havent beaten it!
    6. i think Super Smash Brothers. (i played this ssb first, and i rather liked the championship style it adminished)
    7. mario 64. (i liked that nega-world thing you got if you got all 120 stars. plus the free 100 lives and the triple jump.)
    8. oracle of time (the concept of traveling through time and affecting the present through the past really messes with my head a little bit.)
    9. oracle of seasons (i loved the music of the lost ruins, which, luckily happened before lvl 3, where my game glitched and i couldnt go any farther :p)
    10. Link to the Past (loved the whole Dark world Light world scheme. really sparked my interest in the game. bunny link’s funny:D!)

brew over that for a bit, eh?

master of windwaker said:

I really hope you are joking, if not you are a liar. That is impossible to beat LttP in two hours.

I AGREE!!!!!!!!!!!! Lttp was hard…

im stuck in that stupid ice temple -_- im thinking of just restarting it because i cant remember what i’ve done so far, besides…all the side quests are fun to do ^_^

you know, i read that article about zelda’s top dungeons, i think i remember the ice dungeon being ‘the most convoluted’ dungeon out there. seven floors of madness… i am ashamed at how many times i died. oh, and dungeon six from LOZ? it’s called “The Demon”. i didnt find it very hard! Also, the seventh dungeon is where that pond with a single moblin is, west of the great fairy closest to the ‘origin’. use the whistle to make the water go away, and a staircase will appear, showing you the entrance to dungeon 7. i was rather suprised that an 8-bit NES had the graphics-and power-to do such a thing!

i am very sorry for DP, but TML, i sent you an email. did you get it?

Marin was a w00tness character! She had a rare, authentic, people person feel about her, which is rare among NPC’s, common npc’s or no. any way, i felt bad when we utterly destroyed everything that Marin existed in, especially herself. if i had a choice, these would be the characters that Link would go out with.

Zelda>Marin>Midna>Malon>Hetta (you may not know who that is)>no idea beyond Hetta.

Sesshorochikuramaru said:

master of windwaker said:

Mate, either you’re telling one big, senseless lie or you obviously played a game you thought was ALttP: you’re the very first person I’ve ever heard (rather, read :p) saying ALttP sucks. And unless you show us a video of you completing it in under two hours (a la the one TML showed us with the crazy speedrun of OoT) I will not believe you whatsoever.

ALttP is the longest Zelda to date, people can only beat OoT in about 3 hours at the fastest there is no way anyone could beat LttP in 2. It is impossible, even if you knew where everything was and could beat everything reall quick, it takes longer to travel to all the places than two hours.

uberzeldamaster said:
    and dungeon six from LOZ?

i hate that one..wizzrobes, ugh

uberzeldamaster said:
    no idea beyond Hetta.

who is Hetta :?

Shinigami Ninja said:All Ice dungeons are a little piece of Hell in a game cartidge/disc. Which, along with other evidence, has lead me to the conclusion that Hell is frozen.

yeah, thats kinda the same with water ones too ;)

I recently read that “Link to the Past” is known as “Triforce of the Gods” in Japan, thats actually quite a cool name.

Sesshorochikuramaru, that’s because water and ice are the same thing, just different forms. Different forms of the same satanic evil.

Shinigami Ninja said:

LOL, i think i might of been a little tired when i wrote that 0_o’

Ah! The ice dungeon! I remember that one. Being young and foolish when I first played ALttP, I never took the time to go get potions or heals. Consequently, I think I died at least a hundred times ’cause every time I went into the dungeon I had no magic and 3 hearts…

Big mistake, needless to say.

I really liked Marin, too. I played through the game several times for no reason but to hear her sing. I guess that’s kind of pathetic, since the sound system on GBC isn’t all that great. Oh well, put me down as willfully pathetic then! That tune won’t fade away in my memory if there’s anything I can do about it!

That’s really weird. I wonder why they changed it.

master of windwaker said:

though it may be true that you can get past some of the temples pretty quick,I dont think its fair to say its an easy game (or a fast one for that matter).most of the dungeons have you running for your life through the whole thing,plus the puzzles are pretty complicated.also save your pity,I dont think anybody looking to get LTTP will need it :D .

ahhhh,so true ….no matter how many times I replay the water temples I can never get past them smoothly :( .

*sighs* all japanesse names sound cooler :’( .

Yeah, like Metroid Prime 2: echoes was Dark Echoes in JP, Eureka Seven is Psalm of Planets Eureka SeveN, or something along those lines. Japanese people get all the cool stuff. Like those toilets that don’t need toilet paper.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!! -runs away from flying daggers- :’(

Shinigami Ninja said:

then theres always FE:7,it actually has a name in japan….fire emblem: blazing sword or something? I was looking at a zelda site not too long ago and it has all the japanese zelda names,they all sounded better,exept maybe LA,I think that one was dream island :? .

Light Walker said:On a side note, am I the only one who loved FF8? Although come to think of it I mainly like it ’cause of Kate Lorraine’s “A Mist Over Winhill” fanfic.

dont have it yet :/ ,but I plan to have it soon ^_^ .

Trinexx, the boss of Turtle Rock in A Link to the Past, was my Evil Fish of Doom. I must have died over ten times straight because I kept missing the heads with my Fire and Ice rods, so I’d run out of magic, then potions, then hearts…

Obviously, my aim with those rods is severely lacking (I swear, my aim is incredible with every other item…)

I have to agree: Marin is one of my favorite NPCs in the Zelda series; she became very close with me, and I loved her character. As unique and well done as the ending of Link’s Awakening was, it’s almost as if I hated it because it not only took her away, but also proposed the idea (or confirmed) that she wasn’t real, and that aggravated me.

I also heavily enjoyed Secret of Mana, one of the RPGs I will play.

master of windwaker said:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!! -runs away from flying daggers- :’(

what version do you have of LttP? the GBA one? i think anyone might be able to get past FS in a couple of hours…is that what you ment you got past in 2 hrs. or maybe you used a de-bug code, come on tell us how you did it, im interested ;)

I didn’t really like Lttp too much. I dunno why, I beat it, but I’m not too crazy about it. However, I must say it was hard. Hard. Very Hard! No one could get past it in two hours.

Shinigami Ninja said:

That’s really weird. I wonder why they changed it.

They thought it sounded too religious for Western People. That’s the reason why they changed the Hylian Text for Western games too.

My top ten is probably
    1. Wind Waker
    2.Ocarina of Time
    3. Twilight Princess
    4.Link’s Awakening
    5. Majora’s Mask
    6.Trauma Center: Second Opinion
    7.WarioWare: Smooth Moves
    8.Oracle of Ages
    9. Pokemon Red (my first videogame- good times!)
    10.New Super Mario Brothers
    So, as you can see, it’s been changed a lot recently!

Hey Pokemon Red was my first too!! Honestly, as much as I think it stupid now I have a lot to thank pokemon for. If it wasn’t for Pokemon I wouldn’t have gotten a game boy or played Zelda.

wow. its odd how things turn out, isnt it? ^_^ i think i have the Oot to thank for the zelda spark in my veins!

uberzeldamaster said:

Seems a lot of people do. For me it was LADX, I saw it at a friends house when he was playing it on his computer via a GBC emulator. That prompted me to ask for Zelda for christmas, I got OoA.

LttP’s magic got me into Zelda.

my first zelda game was loz 0_o’ ,which for some reason dosnt seem to be anybody elses first zelda. I think my first game ever was….eh….sonic :? ?

The Wolfess said:

I apologise for bringing this up rather late in the topic (discussion has moved on from this somewhat, as it would seem), but I simply wanted to voice my agreement on both matters: that I truly liked the addition of that small group to Twilight Princess (their role in the game, their personalities, the group in general- it would be true to say that they are at least among my favourite parts of the game as a whole, if not one of the parts I feel most attached to) as well as to agree that I would be interested to read any future article about them that might appear here (there doesn’t seem to be an awful lot about them around, or is that just me…?) and to hear anyone elses’ point of view on them.

Just a brief comment… again, I apologise for bringing it up so late in the topic…

No problem with that Apathy. We’re just all reminiscing because we’re bored and waiting for the next article. I didn’t really think to highly of them. Aside from that one time at the big place, they didn’t do a whole lot.

apathy, there has been several occasions where i posted something about another thing long before i even read it. do NOT feel ashamed and embarrased about it. you are a zeldabloggite, and we live our lives making mistakes, as all humans do. link makes no mistakes, it is simply our mistakes that cause him pain. WE MUST AVENGE HIM!

uberzeldamaster said:

Well, half the time you get scolded for spam.

Besides, this isn’t the place to discuss that group. Its not a spoiler topic.

Faethin said:

master of windwaker said:

Amen brudda! Anyone who thinks they beat ALttP in two hours is nuts. He needs to take a lie detector test or something. ALttP was my first Zelda game, and I think it was fun, but freakin’ hard!

Ninja Lord Kakashi said:

Oh yeah, I forgot something! I have always connected to the story line of characters. My first game was Sonic 1, but it started with the simple story of Sonic 3 and Knuckles. My parents bought both for my bro’s B-day. When I (yes I said “I”) got the Master Emerald at the end and saved Floating Island, and Knuckles, I just felt like I had actually accomplished something for these fictional characters. Then I played ALttP and the sensation was even greater. When I played LA I played for HOURS not to beat the “BIG BOSS” or to get home, but to see if Link and Marin got together. The personal struggles (like a certain character in TP *cough* *hack*) and their reactions to others (reactions including love lives) interest me the most. Yes I need good gameplay, and yes I like cool bosses, and dungeons, but that is not nearly as impotant as the story within. I read a lot of books for the same reason I play video games. To escape from our world to a world where anyone can make a difference. Anyone can be a hero. Even a geeky guy like me. Fiction, whether in books or games, is a tool for our imaginations. Like any tool it can be used for evil, but like any tool for good! These are outlets for our personal thoughts. And I’m sure any game developer (especially RPG and mainly story based games) could tell you that they put thier heart and soul into thier games. Many people say video games are evil, or that they are not good for anything, but those same people watch thier sports on TV, or their movies, which keeps us even less active then Video Games. Sorry for babling so much!

clark1617 said:

Ninja Lord Kakashi said:

Ditto.

Thanks. I know I write a ton at a time, but I like to make my opinions clear. Also I want to let y’all know that I’m not always so really serious. Seriously!LOL!

Ladies and gentlemen, contrary to popular beliefs and opinions, it IS Possible to beat LttP in less than two hours. There, is in fact, a video on youtube by ye olde “The Silent Assassin”.

Mind, I’m only posting this because SOME people aren’t really that aware of speedruns. TSA beat it in only One hour and Forty seven minutes.

But that other guy that flamed LttP has no idea what he’s getting into, so…

And that my friends, let’s you realize that it is IN FACT, possible to beat Lttp in less than two hours… AND IT’S A COMPLETE GAME TOO!

But, could he do it on his first try, no.

Ive been playing that game for over ten years… HOW CAN THIS BE POSSIBLE?!

master of windwaker said:

And my Top Ten?well, take a peek…

1.The Legend of Zelda:Ocorina of Time
    2.” ” Twilight Princess
    3.” ” Windwaker
    4.Super Smash Bros. Melee
    5….dunno!

HOW COULD YOU? =P
    Anyway, My top five are ALL ZELDA (Yeah, I’ve got no life):

1. Twilight Princess
    2. Ocarina of Time
    3. A Link to the Past
    4. Wind Waker
    5. Four Swords Adventures

That basically shows that my life goes here, my little spot on the internet where Zelda rules all. I like A Link to the Past greatly, and it seems to tie up with Ocarina of Time, and yet Ocarina still beats it.

Dark Mime Gogo said:

… AND IT’S A COMPLETE GAME TOO!

with most of the side quests? but i still dont think its dumb or easy game..anyway you would have to play the game about 50 times like i did with fire emblem before you could get past it so fast ^,^

I

Sesshorochikuramaru said:

Dark Mime Gogo said:

… AND IT’S A COMPLETE GAME TOO!

I totally agree! How could anyone get the side quests done in that amount of time? That’s half the fun! But I do know a heck of a lot about quick games. my friends challenged me to beat Super Mario World in less than 30 minutes. I beat it in 20. (Sorry, just had to brag a little.) But I had played the game a million times before. So you beat ALttP in 2 hours the first time - yeah, sure! :)

In an interview that Nintendo Dream conducted with Eiji Aonuma in December 2006, he revealed that there exists two universes. The split in the timeline occurs during Ocarina of Time, after Link returned to his child and talks with Zelda. A few years after Link returned to his childhood, [TML: Robert-UK, that is a huge TP spoiler!]; Twilight Princess then occurs a hundred years after kid Link’s time. Meanwhile, The Wind Waker occurs in a parallel world, hundreds of years after the adventure of adult Link in Ocarina of Time.

The creators maintain that the series has a set timeline, but due to the poor translation protocols in the 1990s and debate over what counts as “canonical” material, the available information continues to be disputed. Eiji Aonuma has since promised he will do his best to patch it all up and reveal the timeline someday[citation needed], and Miyamoto stated in a 2003 interview that there is a master document containing the timeline, but this document has not been seen publicly and subsequently there is little other proof of its existence.

sooooooooooo……kid link gets TP and adult link gets TWW :? ?

Yeah, but he also said that TP was between OoT and WW. He isn’t telling the truth, he is giving us false info.

Bboy94 said:

He isn’t telling the truth, he is giving us false info.

yeah it sounds kinda goofy… maybe he cant make up his mind :D

HAH!

I knew it!! I wrote about the split timeline theory once. It’s kinda confusing, but I have a written out version of it and a diagram is soon to come.

Not to spam, but that is just my writing and a link to it, on the same website I posted about a while back.

Maybe I should have clarified as to my definition of a complete game. I define a complete game as one that goes through all the dungeons and defeats all of the bosses, no matter the order in which he takes them, rather than a 100% run. Now it’s actually possible to CHEAPLY beat the game in five minutes, by exploiting a relatively little known glitch. Though he didn’t get all the heart pieces (or any for that matter), I still count the run as a complete run. If you want everything, try out a 100% run.

I can’t remember if he beat the Moldorm in the Tower of Hera or not…

And just to clarify, I am not the one that made or submitted that video. Honor goes to TSA and Andy9999 respectively.

Compare it to the run of OOT that TML posted a long time ago, where glitches were abused, then overall, this run looks more complete.

And I DO recall someone asking for a video of a speedrun like the one TML posted about OoT.

Still, in a first try? And if he thinks its a dumb game I don’t think he’d play it enough to do it in under 2 hours.

Shinigami Ninja said:

*gives you 1 million cookies*

Yeah, this is probably going to blow up in my face with spam cookies…

Links awakening is surprisingly deep… why is it that so many abhor the sound and music of old, great game boy games?

What was this topic about anyway? I forget. I wonder if we’ll get it to one hundred comments.

Sesshorochikuramaru said:

Bboy94 said:

He isn’t telling the truth, he is giving us false info.

yeah it sounds kinda goofy… maybe he cant make up his mind :D

Ive just realized that a split timeline would mean that there’s two Twilight Mirrors, Midna could meet the Link in the other reality.

Sesshorochikuramaru said:

Bboy94 said:

He isn’t telling the truth, he is giving us false info.

yeah it sounds kinda goofy… maybe he cant make up his mind :D

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Please!! Don’t start up another timeline debate! They make my head hurt really bad.

whoa whoa whoa!thats a BIG spoiler, this isnt a spoiler article! be careful

Sesshorochikuramaru said:

whoa whoa whoa!thats a BIG spoiler, this isnt a spoiler article! be careful

I think maybe TML should expunge it from the records.

Well, 90’s not too far off.

Mirelena said:

Sesshorochikuramaru said:

whoa whoa whoa!thats a BIG spoiler, this isnt a spoiler article! be careful

I think maybe TML should expunge it from the records.

that probaly would be a good idea…is there still alot of people without TP?

Not without, per se. Rather, a lot of people who haven’t been able to find the time to beat TP. I happen to be one of those people. But Spring Break (Starts on GOod Friday) Should more than render that problem at long last :D

I checked out some videos on the games Shadow of the Colossus, Chrono Trigger, and Tales of Symphonia. I should really get these games! But sadly, I don’t have enough money to buy those games(Excluding Chrono Trigger, I don’t have a SNES so I’ll wait for that to come to the VC) and a PS2.(If I ever get that I’ll probably buy some Final Fantasy games too) Yes, I’m not much of a gamer but I’m planning to get a bunch of games in the future!(The VC helps a lot). I also seem to barely have a life.

whats a VC? and can it play jappanese SNES games?

Sesshorochikuramaru said:

whats a VC? and can it play jappanese SNES games?

I think thats the virtual console for the Wii.if nintendo was smart they would start translating some japanesse games for it.ofcoarse,I would play some games (fire emblem for example ;) ) even if they wernt translated :? ).

You should be able to pick ToS for like $20 used. Its gettin kinda old. Especially since its a gamecube title and all. And yes, VC is Virtual Console.

Shinigami Ninja said:

And yes, VC is Virtual Console.

so… can you play jappanese games on it :?

VC… i think i should get one of those… >_> *looks around* BIG suprise… Twilight Princess!!!!!!!!!!!!!! itll be fun going underwater in the hmmmmmmmmmmm temple with Link .^_^.

Go for the gold! Reach one hundred posts!!w00000000000000000000t!

What the crap…? my post is all weird… i think my computer is playing games with my head… :p

Does anyone else think TML died? I’m seriously considering it.

Eh, it’s only been ONE week. It’s not like he’s dead… yet… or is he? *Dramatic chord plays*

Seriously man, even our TML needs at least SOME down time from writing. Maybe he’s just a little lazy. I get that a lot, especially when I should be writing something but don’t really feel like it :D .

there was one game i played called the legend of the dragoon when one of the characters died i found my self crying along with the rest of the heros it was one of those times when you never see it coming

Sir Link said:
    it was one of those times when you never see it coming

there was one game i played were i should of seen it comming -_- …i kinda knew, i guess was just hoping i would be wrong about it *cough cough 100th post cough*

uberzeldamaster said:

so what? i got the 100 and FIRST post! :p

forgive me TML ;) but your post is 101 :? im the 100th post.

i know, what i meant was i was the first post after 100 :p.

[TML: Not any more. This is your LAST WARNING. Stop spamming and posting useless topics or else the next time your account is gone. Period.]

in this articles predessor, i said i would explain the connection between MM and TP. the simple truth is… well… look at Majora in his mask form and the Fused Shadow Midna has on her head. did you notice the eye on the Fused Shadow? it looks a lot like an eye off of Majora. and the spikes on the edge of the top of the FS (and i mean the Fused Shadow, not Four Swords), it looks like the spikes off of the sides of Majora. in the lakebed temple cutscene, where link is shown the evils of power and it’s weilders, it says that there is an ancient power that was used by a tribe for dark rituals and evil purposes. in MM, the cutscene the happy mask salesman shows you, he says that Majora was a mask used by an ancient tribe for dark rituals and evil purposes (if you still arent getting this, Majora and the Fused Shadows were both used for evil intentions, which lead me to believe that they are one and the same). the only difference between the information in these cutscenes is that one was sealed away by the tribe, and that the other was sealed away by the light spirits, and the tribe was actually banished. ok, i think i have done my part, so think over this.

Mirelena said:

I think maybe TML should expunge it from the records.

Done.

Josephina said:

Does anyone else think TML died? I’m seriously considering it.

No. Work just caught up with me. ;)

uberzeldamaster said:

Go for the gold! Reach one hundred posts!!w00000000000000000000t!

In order to get the Virtual Console(VC) you need to have the Wii and Internet Connection for it. And Chrono Trigger is a Japanese game! Aww… man I heard that America’s Wii consoles won’t get old Japanese games. And I saw an entire 4 hour speedrun of an english Chrono Trigger! Was that just a fan-translated thing?

M Warrior said:
    Aww… man I heard that America’s Wii consoles won’t get old Japanese games.

thats really stupid…that would be the only reason i would ever get a wii…for the japanese FEs :P