Phantom Hourglass, Now Also Two-Player [updated]

March 7th, 2007 at 11:16 pm by The Missing Link

[UPDATE: Phantom Hourglass trailer embedded after the break. Found at GoNintendo.]

For those of you who haven’t been in the know, GDC—the Game Developers’ Conference—is this week in San Francisco, and unfortunately I’m not there. However, that just means I’m back at the homefront finding links and news for you about the future of our favourite series.

And the future of our favourite series is Phantom Hourglass. There’s a few small notes about the future DS title, although there’s still a lot left to the imagination. First up, we know that Phantom Hourglass will have a two-player battle mode attached to it. IGN has some pictures of it as well as a small review should you care to read it. Also, TSA of The Hylia has a good image of the controls for this battle mode. It’s a straight up competition with one player posing as Link and the other posing as enemies, alternating between rounds. GameSpot supposedly has all of the official press release screens of it, but they’re down right now, so I can’t tell you if they’ve got something different than IGN or no.

Second, according to GoNintendo, the release date for Phantom Hourglass is expected for this coming holiday season. The timer on the ZeldaBlog main page has been pushed back a month to November 15 as our new guesstimated day, but even if they release an official release date tomorrow with Miyamoto’s keynote, you can expect that date to be slide forward or back to say the very least. They’ve also—just in case you’re worried—got confirmation that there’s a separate single-player quest as expected, saying that it’s for both 1 and 2 players, so no worries of a Four Swords-like experience (other than the side-games).

I’ve heard through the grapevine that there’s a lot of secrets about Hourglass still to be revealed, and that the delay from Q4 2006 to Q4 2007 will be well worth the wait… but we shall have to see what details come out tomorrow and later on down the road.

Note that there will be no liveblog of the festivities tomorrow as I doubt that thousands of amazing things will come out of it. (I also would feel someone guilty that I’m spending time writing about the competition’s games when I should be making my company’s games!) We might get a few interesting titbits here and there, but it’s probably not going to be like the Nintendo conference back at E3 last year. My recommendation? Watch Kotaku, Joystiq, or any of the other gaming blogs and news sites to get clued in until I get home to manage an update.

UPDATE:

Filed under News, Phantom Hourglass

Follow This Entry | Leave a Response | Trackback | Read Other Posts by The Missing Link

67 Messages from the Gossip Stones about “Phantom Hourglass, Now Also Two-Player [updated]”

Comments

ah… my brother and i will like the two player feature a lot… opps. got to go, i have school in 5 minutes! >.> .

I just hope that they have some way to play the ds on my TV by the time it comes out. Otherwise. I will be getting jealous of my brother playing it constantly.

So I’m assuming that the two player might also include a Wi-Fi option?

Two player battle mode, cool, I wonder how long it will be before we see a new Four Sword’s game on Wii, Wi-Fi gameing cant get better than that.

Oh yes it can. SSB in WI-FI. That beats it right there.

what company do you work for TML?

The DS thing better be online wi-fi, or I’m gonna be mad. None of my friends have a DS, or any interest in zelda. At least, none of the ones that I could ever play against.

Shinigami Ninja said:

what company do you work for TML?

This, like the Evil Fish of Doom™, is the stuff that TML doesn’t talk about. Only that it’s not Nintendo.

**sniffs** I don’t even have a DS yet. **sniff**sniff** But someday, mark my word, someday, it will be mine! Hahahaahaha! *cough*cough* Hahahahaha… ^_^

Zen Blade said:

Don’t buy one used if you can’t check the screen. A friend of mine did that and got one that was so scratched it was hardly usable. Thank heaven for thirty-day return policies.

Shinigami Ninja said:

what company do you work for TML?

Honmestly, why don’t you talk about the Evil Fish of Doom(tm)? Its just a fish, and hes not even that evil. He’s something of a push-over. The Evil Goat of Mega-Death(tm) is more evil.

so we can be expecting phantom hourglass in….two years or so :P ? all joking (or half joking) aside,the two player thing sounds cool,I just hope its not like most games where you need two of the same game to link them.

Shinigami Ninja said:

the “evil goat of mega-death ™ ” is a robot,taking away the ability to be evil :P .

Shinigami Ninja said:

Heretic! The Evil Fish of Doom™ is evil! Evil, I say! Evil! Evil!

Seriously, though, it’s because he literally killed me seven times straight despite having full hearts and fairies whenever I faced him. The seventh time—also the most frustrating time—I actually managed to kill him at the same time he killed me. After the cutscene was over, the boss mask sitting there for the taking, I wonder what the game will decide about my zero-heart count because I, after all, lived through the cutscene. But no, it checked and killed me. Only on the eighth did I manage to beat the Evil Fish of Doom™. I have remained a scarred man since, and I refuse to fight him again.

Goht, on the other hand, while challenging was immensely fun. The Evil Fish of Doom™, however… once you stepped into the water, you were in his domain, and he never held back.

thats some story TML :) .

The Evil Fish of Doom™? Do you mean Gyorg? That took me like two tries!

Shalazar said:

So I’m assuming that the two player might also include a Wi-Fi option?

yeah if you see a picture of the box it says wi-fi and its the same thing at the 2 player battle thing

Geez, it’d be dissapointing if it didn’t have
    the Wi-Fi tag. /=

Shinigami Ninja said:

Heretic! The Evil Fish of Doom™ is evil! Evil, I say! Evil! Evil!

He onl touched me once when I fell in the water. After that, I found the pattern and he only hit me when he rammed on the island.

I already knew PH was going to have multyplayer since May 2006.

well it all really depends on which side of the platform you fall off of.if you fall off the side he is on you will most likely get eaten by him or-depending on how much you damaged him-his little piranhas that he spits out.if however you fall off the opposite side (i.e. the one hes not on) all you really have to do is climb back on and hope that the piranhas dont pull you in.the problem I always……had :’( ….with him was that when I tried to zap him as a zora while he was stunned his little piranhas would poke at me untill he had recovered,which ofcoarse led to a failed zapping and….well….you get the rest :P .im not sure if I would count him as the hardest boss ever-that tittle ofcoarse would go to LOZ gannon-but he was without a doubt the most annoying boss ever.

Theres a new Phantom hourglass trailer if anyone cares

hupla said:

Theres a new Phantom hourglass trailer if anyone cares

where?

The hylia

Awsome trailer at GoNintendo!

…. PH WOOOOOOOOO! :D .> no one saw that right? Gyorg, or the evil fish of doom ™ is very very hard. TML, you have my sympathy. the only, ONLY ONLY way to kill him easily is with the feirce deity. l >

[TML: Stop spamming UZM.]

Two Player In Phantom Hourglass is oooooooold news.

im sorry, tml… but guess what? i have a new nickname… and its The Dark Missing Link! bwuhahahahahah. ok, im done. seriously, though, the Evil Fish of Doom ™ is hard…

I don’t remember if I posted already (most likely not) but this is looking better and better. That tall guy shaking Link up has a bad guy feel to him (perhaps he’s in the Great Sea Mafia, lol) I can’t wait to get this.

I don’t know why, but I’m not at ALL thrilled by that trailer. D:

VenusQueenOfFaeries said:

I don’t know why, but I’m not at ALL thrilled by that trailer. D:

It’s the funky faces. It throw it off.

sheesh,minish cap looked better….truth be told the link statue looks a little better compared to that :D !

sorry for the double post but to avoid any confusion I ment the minish cap graphics look better,I have nothing against either MC or the graphics they use :) .

The gameplay for PH looks amazingly fun, with the action taking place by drawing around on the screen, rubbing the screen, etc. The blocky graphics on the faces, however, is throwing me off of this game.

WHOA!!! That is so cool!!! I mean, the graphics aren’t the greatest, but it looks like pretty engaging gameplay… and it’s PORTABLE! That is awesome for people who are always on the move like me. I predict that it will be coming on MANY vacations with me!

my…..i dont know what to say besides those graphics look horible,the game looks choppy and link doesnt really look like link :/

Sesshorochikuramaru said:

His face looks painted. The gameplay looks fun and all, but hey, what Zelda doesn’t? I don’t know, I just expected something a little more, eh, well… passable.

Shinigami Ninja said: His face looks painted.

yeah, i thought it looked ready to drip off or something…

………………… no.

[TML: Consider this your FIRST WARNING as per the site rules. I tried to be nice earlier. I’m fed up with it. Don’t spam, or I’ll make it so you can’t.]

After watching it a second time its not so bad, I was prepared this time. But it could still be WAYWAY better.

One thing to enlighten us TML, how exactly will you have the warning system work here? At TDC for example, if you get three warnings in one month, you get banned. But if you get one or two warnings in one month, then those warnings will disappear the next month.

Concerning PH I think I saw Dragon Roost Island in a video…

HEY, Link was fighting a Gerudo in that trailer, this game is going to be great.

noted tml. i dont even know what spam is. back to subject! the phantom hourglass trailer really made me not want to play the game. i mean… look at links face! *is sick* that was an utter disgrace to the other links! still, it should be interesting gameplay. just one question, though… is that freakin NAVI??????!!!!!!!!! all we need now is tingle and this game is going to die and die hard!

Spam is considered posts that stray off topic and are made quite frequently by the same person or persons. Spam is considered a bad thing on any forum or blog. So please, be conscious of how much you post and be weary of posting too much at one time when there isn’t much to be said at all…

That probably isn’t navi though. I don’t believe they included a plot device explaining the appearance of a fairy cursor in the wii version of TP. This could be the same thing…

regardless of the graphics im still looking forward to PH.I think it will have alot of information in it about the time line (or the one nintendos been trying to put together anyways ;) ),mainly because its the sequel to TWW which is a part of nintendos time line.plus the two player thing looks fun (if you dont need two games to play that way :? ).

Yeah single kart multiplayer FTW also worldwide wi-fi would be great

Dark Mime Gogo said:

But the creepy french-like guy looked directly at the fairy.

uberzeldamaster said:

noted tml. i dont even know what spam is.

DMG;s description of spam was rather broad. Spam is an acronym Stupid Pointless Annoying Messages. So before posting ask yourself if it pertains to those criteria. Also, anything extremely off topic would be considered spam. Like if you went into this topic, and without reason or correlation the discussion, said “NINJAS ROCK!!”,that would be spam. Although its true, it would be spam. Understand?

I think I know what Phantom Hourglass is about and why it’s called that. It’s simple, when Link finds her something horrible happens to her and Link has to find a magical hourglass that can turn back time to save her. My theory suggests that Tetra dies in a sense and so thats why its called Phantom Hourglass. And I beleive my theory might just be hitting close to home on PH’s plot.

That was a pretty sweet trailer!

Link kinda looked like an alien though….

Aw well, I can’t wait to be spending the last months of this year playing PH. :)

Dark Mime Gogo said:

It’s a rather grey issue to be quite frank. Usually, it involves me remembering that I’ve assigned strikes to those particular people in the recent past. Generally, three strikes within the amount of time I can remember and they’re out. And while I know I have dished out strikes in the past, aside from the recent one, I’ve forgotten who they were given to, so effectively everyone else is on a clean slate.

Wow, so if I spam my butt off and TML gets amnesia for a day, Im good to go!! jking.

hupla said:

Yeah single kart multiplayer FTW also worldwide wi-fi would be great

That’s what I want. Something like wht you do with metroid prime hunters. Only better. They should make it like Xbox live. I honestly think that that is the best way.

This looks like to be a very promising game. At first I feared the gameplay but now they seem to fix it up. The graphics are still weird looking though.

Wow……thst look’s REALLY amazing…and, it’s even got WARNING! TP SPOILERS! (I will put “strike” on it, so it’ll be easier to scroll over without seeing some vital words) [TML: DO NOT POST TP SPOILERS IN A NON-SPOILER TOPIC!].

It uses the Stylus in so many ways……I wanna play it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hupla said:

Yeah single kart multiplayer FTW also worldwide wi-fi would be great

Exactly!!! That’s perfect! (Please Nintendo, don’t fail me now…) BUUUUUUT, you’ve all (ok, maybe not ALL) seen four swords (yes, gba version) and you know how that was, right? Weeeeeeel, I got’s me bruddah, so I’m fine :) I just hope it’s got Wi-Fi……

Shinigami Ninja said:

His face looks painted.

Hogwash! Ok……maybe the graphics aren’t that good……But I don’t care! (If I’d have gone for the graphics, I’d have left Nintendo a long time ago)

Ninja Lord Kakashi said:

regardless of the graphics im still looking forward to PH.

That’s the spirit! :D

Hmmmm……I got in my first try…ok, it MIGHT’ve cost me a fairy, or two…wait, not more than one, but it was really easy…pretty dull, in fact.

ZFAN, if the characters look bad then it can sorely detract from gameplay. Especially when they could do much better and we all know it.

[TML: Shinigami, please watch your language.]

Shinigami Ninja said:

i know a few animes that are/were really hard to watch because of there bad art/animation(a good example would be IGPX,i hated that show!).its kind of the same with games, i think. and if games are choppy they make me dizzy 0_o. maybe it will be ok, but i think nintendos getting lazy…

thanks dark mime and shinigami. i will be better about that, i hope. anyway, the thing is, i thought about it, and graphics shouldnt be the only thing i judge the game on. so ive developed a criteria.. what ever that means. ok, here it is.

graphics /5

sound /5

gameplay /5

controls /5

and last but not least,

story line /5

the point of this is, like most people do this for, is to judge the game on a number system, and the explanations for the different sections are as follows.

graphics: the graphics of the game would count as the texture, the sight, colors, and what does it look like when characters interact. like when the pirate was shaking link, i vaguely remember thinking the hands clinging to links shirt looked cheesy as they interacted with each other. that will be this category.

sound: the music, the sound effects, etc. very basic stuff, you know.

gameplay: the… well, this section is still under construction.

controls: how do you think the way you make link move is going to be? hard? easy? medium-rare? 1 equals super-hard, 2 equals hard, 3 equals medium, 4 equals easy, 5 equals super-easy.

story line: ok, this is the cause for the game, and a very important thing it is indeed. apparently, terra was sent over board, and link needs to find her. this is all i know so far, so tell me if you have any more information.

ok, zelda bloggites, im inviting you guys to rate each of the five categorys according to what you THINK is going to happen, cause I know you dont know everything about it. remember, hypothesize. go crazy, just make sure its explainable. here are my personal ratings :

graphics 2/5

sound 4/5

gameplay under construction

controls 3/5

storyline 4/5

remember, hypothesize, come up with an explanation, and go nuts! this is your opinion about the game! or what is going to be released as a game. tml, i am sorry if you find this spamming, but i dont think it is. now that you know my ratings, what will yours be? think about it.

i’ve never rated a game before…this will be fun

graphics 1.5/5

sound 2/5

gameplay ?/5

controls 3.5/5

story line 4/5

lets see…

graphics 1/5

sound 4/5

gameplay under construction: ?/5

controls 4/5

storyline 4/5

so I really only have a problem with the graphics;zeldas music,storyline,and controls tend to be good…its just thoughs graphics :? .ive seen what the DS is capable of (FFIII’s beggining) and next to that it does indeed make nintendo look lazy :P .

I think the face looks fine so what if its a little crummy I think thats just when the close ups come so you wont see the face THAT often

greenlink said:

but if the games anything like what they are making it out to be close ups will happen alot.

ah I dont mind to me it looks fine

still,nintendo could do better.its possible though that this video is from the unfinished game;meaning that the graphics could undergo some improvement before finally being released.its a longshot though….

Ninja Lord Kakashi said:

I agree

okay! i finally came up with a subject for gameplay. gameplay will be the hardness of the GAME, rather than the controls.

gameplay ratings are as follows;

1: are you freakin kidding?! this games gonna be easy!

2: meh, whatever. ill breeze right through it.

3: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! this games gonna be like boiling water…. right?

4: well, this could be a bit challenging.

5: AAAAAAAUUUUUUUUGH!! MY EYES, THEY BURN FROM THE UBERNESS!

go crazy kiddies!

oh, just to let you know, my gameplay rating is 3/5.

my gameplay rating is 4.5/5? just because im not so good at zelda or playing the ds :?

Sesshorochikuramaru said:

you arent the only one… XD of course.

my gameplay rating would have to be 3/5.zelda games are always difficult to pick up on at first,but after you play long enough you can usually catch on to the way the battles work,how/when to use certain items,that sort of thing.

Ninja Lord Kakashi said:

you know, i was thinking the same thing. tp was hard to pick up on because… oops, i almost revealed a spoiler…

okay, im sorry for dping, but its been ages since anyones posted. i have decided to revise my ratings. they are now currently as follows:

graphics: 2.5/5 (i still dont like the way link’s face looks…)

sound: 4.5/5 (i dont know why, but i expect a lot out of music!)

gameplay: 3.6/5 (it’s a DS game, what did you expect? a five?)

controls: 2.5/5 (i have a problem with the DS’ stylus, so sue me)

storyline: 4.5/5 (meh, saving tetra is a good cause, dont you think?)