A Real Zelda Challenge?

February 28th, 2007 at 4:46 pm by The Missing Link

Some of you might remember a rather recent article of mine that focused on the lack of challenge in modern Zelda titles. This got me to thinking a little bit… and I had an idea that I wanted to put to a vote. (Isn’t it just soooo convenient that I found polling software for this little ol’ blog?) So here’s the idea:

I’ve started working on a project for you guys: a puzzle competition. Pretty much what we’re talking about is a string of puzzles designed to truly test your wits. Unfortunately, these aren’t your run-of-the-mill dungeon puzzles, but these are a good set of brain teasers that I think will really sort out the heroes from the… er… people who die in the first five minutes of a Zelda game. I’ve already got a lot of the planning work done, and I’ve got most of the puzzles at least drawn out conceptually on paper, which means that the only challenges left would be to actually put the thing up online and to code up the website and database system to make it work.

As far as the winners are concerned, this won’t be some minor competition where all you get Internet fame or silly experience points for winning. I’m willing to put a decent prize up for stakes. I’m thinking something on the order of a copy of Twilight Princess, a DS or Wii game, perhaps hard copies of a few of Akira Himegawa’s Zelda mangas. I’ve got convenient places to pick up a lot of interesting Nintendo paraphernalia, so I haven’t decided exactly what will be up for stakes yet. (Perhaps I’ll allow the winner(s) to choose.) However, I’m thinking that this would be a very fun way to dole it out.

However, I’m only willing to do this if I get some participation from the likes of you. If only three people are willing to compete, it isn’t going to be fun. So, this is the time when you get to give me your feedback. Yay or nay?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you asking for a challenge!?
View Results

Filed under Announcements, Poll's Voice

Follow This Entry | Leave a Response | Trackback | Read Other Posts by The Missing Link

78 Messages from the Gossip Stones about “A Real Zelda Challenge?”

Comments

I’m game!! Bring it on, Tee Em El!

it sounds fun, but sadly im not very good at puzzles :’(

Those manga sound, I’m in as well. If I don’t win, well, at least I tried. I can use these to clear my brain of dust AND renew my Zelda-Fan-boy-ism.

I wouldn’t really care about the reward. Solving the puzzles is reward enough for me. I have no interest in having TML give such a gift to the likes of me…

Of course, the first one is too enthusiastic, yet I voted for that one anyway…

bring on the puzzles! WOOHOO!

*rabidly presses vote*
    11111111111111
    Time to test my wits!
    IIIII~’m gonna end up failing horribly. u_u
    Ah well, bring it on!! :3

Dark Mime Gogo said:

Of course, the first one is too enthusiastic, yet I voted for that one anyway…

I purposefully make the options rather excessive to the point where no person is truthfully thinking that exact words of any of them. I figure if we’re going to have polls, we might as well throw in some some fun with them as well.

I want in

The zelda manga will be mine MuHuHaHaha COUGH

Sounds like fun. I would probably sign up for it. It would be a blast, and the prizes are just an added bonus ;-)

Well, puzzles aren’t my Zelda specialty… but this does sound kind of fun! I’d gladly join.

Well, sounds fun, but if I win, I’ll be giving my prize away to the second placer. I can’t really except a gift through the internet, you know?

Sweet. This will definitely prove if my logic class is doing anything for me ;) .

I don’t know why but Zelda as a manga just doesn’t appeal to me. I’ll play but I sure as heck won’t win. A good suggestion for a DS game is Lunar Knights. Its a good game with lots of monster killing and some limited puzzle solving. Of course it could also be a garuntee for PH when it releases.

yes, TML, we are asking for a challenge! ok, so i probably won’t win either but it sounds good….a challenge of wits….possible free stuff….what’s not to love!!!
    though i’m not sure what i’d do with the comic books, except display them of course, but, hey, i’d prefer a game personally……the wii + two games broke the bank :(

Shinigami Ninja said:

wait…so you’re suggesting a game that focuses on fighting as opposed puzzle solving as a prize for a puzzle competition?

Long time since i posted on this blog(but i’ve been checking it nearly everyday though)

I’d love to try your puzzle challenge…but i’m wondering:
    are these puzzle related to Zelda in any way? Or are they just random brain teasers with no connection?

Anyway i’m up for this =D

Can’t you win something else other than a Wii, DS, TP, or Manga.(I have the first three and I read the Manga on the internet) Like some other games?

Darth_Ales said:

The puzzles I have so far assembled all involve some aspect of Zelda at some step; to be more specific, you will have to rely upon your knowledge of Zelda at some point during each puzzle. Those steps may be merely cursory parts of a larger brain teaser, but they will be relevant.

M Warrior said:

As I said, I haven’t decided upon the prize, and given the fact that every reader probably has different paraphernalia already, I will probably end up allowing each player to choose his or her prize specifically. I would reckon that it also need not be Zelda-related, perhaps even Nintendo-related. (Living within spitting distance of the Nintendo campus and employee store makes my ability to find unique things rather handy.) I merely pitched the few there as possibilities.

JediAnn Solo said:

For what it’s worth, hints will be provided, and I’ve already got a mechanism in the planning to assist in the provision of those. Some of these beasts I wouldn’t expect everyone to get without some help, and so I imagine that this will help even the playing field a bit.

Sounds intriguing… This could be interesting.

For completing your task of puzzle I shall desire…
    *deep boomng voice that sounds kinda mystical*
    Popcorn Necklaces.
    *reg voice*
    Sounds like it will be awesome. And when it comes to the nintendo store. they don’t ahppen to sell old N.E.S.’s do they?

As much as I like prizes, I think you and I already concluded that I would fail. Miserably. ;)

I think it’s an awesome idea, I personally wrote my own fanfic/riddle on the NSider boards that spanned about 2 months. A lot of people really liked it. The answers are already posted at the end but you can still try it yourself:
    Trial of the Triforce - Book of Mudora
    Trial of the Triforce - The Labrynth of the Moblin
    Trial of the Triforce - The Sword of Evil’s Bane
    Trial of the Triforce - Conclusion

i was wondering how would the prizes work? and about the zelda manga, what game(s) is it based on, i know they have alttp ones

Dark Mime Gogo said:

Of course, the first one is too enthusiastic, yet I voted for that one anyway…

says you :D ! those zelda magnas got my attention real fast ;) .how do you find out who wins though? first to complete all the puzzles or something similar? not that im even slightly,kindof,remotely,even a little good at puzzles or anything,but I mine as well try, :? .

All right lets do it, bring on the challenge.

Sounds awesome, I’d definitely be interested in participating.
    Also, I love riddles and especially those Zelda-based, I actually made a HUGE riddle/fanfic based on the Zelda series if anyone is interested in taking a look at it.

Alright! I’m in! Bring it on, TML. ^_^

I don’t reply here much (though I check it every day), but woo! I’m in!

So when does it start?

Bboy94 said:

Yeah, same with me, Bboy94.

So, TML, are these going to be text-based puzzles? How exactly will this work?

I’m in for the manga!
    When does it start??!!

Shinigami Ninja said:

So when does it start?

Assume that I go ahead with it (how can I not after people respond like this?!), it’ll start some time after, you know, I actually get the puzzles into HTML and code the answer submission system. I wouldn’t expect any of this to happen until at least April, at the earliest, and maybe not then. We’ll have to see.

Jario said:

So, TML, are these going to be text-based puzzles? How exactly will this work?

Rules will come out prior to the actual beginning of the contest. I have yet to write them out, even though I’ve got about half the script written in my mind.

I would do it in summer so no one is in school

Yes! Amazing idea TML! Can’t wait, ’cause I’ll be there!

I vote all three. XD

I’m up for a challenge. I’m not sure how well I’ll do, what with my sense of unlogic, but I may actually need my unlogic to win.

BRIGNS IT ON!!!!!! (is prepared to come in last place and laugh at himself) just plz not soon……. (summer as someone else has said)

skywalker001 said:

its in april…………is april summer :? ?

This is the best zelda related thing i’ve heard of since zelda and DS were put into the same sentance. I’m excited for this!

Probably the BEST practice for this I would have to say would be A Link To The Past. BUT…I could be wrong. It’s been a while since I’ve played an old Zelda game.

YES. Let’s do it!

Ninja Lord Kakashi said:

its in april…………is april summer :? ?

I said at the earliest April. It may be summertime depending upon how much time I dedicate to making it work.

ok, bring it on

I might participate in such a diversion. Problem is, I just got my internet fixed, so I have alot of message boards, emails, and the like to go through. Therefore, I might not participate. Depends on the prize (soundtracks, official weaponry replicas, pewter figurines, stuff like that has a higher likelyhood of forcing my participation).

LordDragonClaw said:

…(soundtracks, official weaponry replicas, pewter figurines, stuff like that has a higher likelyhood of forcing my participation).

oooooh!!! soundtracks, weapons(please let there be an official replica of TP master sword someday!!), and perter figurines sound like AWESOME prizes to me…i vote for those TML! ;)

LordDragonClaw said:

Weapon replicas? Do you want me to go absolutely broke? XD

It’s difficult to say exactly what I can come across. I know what can easily find (that’s also within the price range I’m looking at for the prize); there are many cool things that I’d love to give away… that aren’t either in my price range or easy to find. We shall have to see.

Apprentice_Goron said:

LordDragonClaw said:

Them ain’t cheap, Brudda Goron.
    Neither are these. Though there is a wooden one for $25.

Shinigami Ninja said:

Apprentice_Goron said:

LordDragonClaw said:

[link]
    Them ain’t cheap, Brudda Goron.
    Neither are these. Though there is a wooden one for $25.

Wasn’t thinking of weaponry THAT big. Maybe more like Sheik’s knife from OoT or something small like that. Maybe even a Deku Nut!

As for the figurines… Okay, I’ll settle for wood.

LordDragonClaw said:Maybe more like Sheik’s knife from OoT

i didnt know sheik had a knife

Sesshorochikuramaru said:
    i didnt know sheik had a knife

Sheik had a knife in a promotional picture made for the game.

As for the challenge, sounds like fun. Sadly, I found the prospect of putting in all of the HTML and answer submission coding more exciting…but that’s just me.

Halan said:

Sesshorochikuramaru said:
    i didnt know sheik had a knife

Sheik had a knife in a promotional picture made for the game.

oh…never seen that, does he have one in smash bros too?

Sheik does have a knife in one of the promo posters for Ocarina of Time. I have it up on my wall here. I didn’t know they actually made one of that though.

Puzzles, eh? Hehehe, I like it! Even if it didn’t have something Zelda-related as a prize, I would totally do it.

Unless it was Rubik’s Cube related…Why must they mock me…>>’

Ninja Lord Kakashi said:

its in april…………is april summer :? ?

oh… ^_^’ .

also about this whole shieks knife thing;is it visible in the game or only added on in that poster?

If you have the soundtrack, its the picture of her/him fighting Lizalfos, Stalfos, and Moblins with LInk.

Shinigami Ninja said:

Apprentice_Goron said:

LordDragonClaw said:

[link]
    Them ain’t cheap, Brudda Goron.
    Neither are these. Though there is a wooden one for $25.

oh, right, heh heh ^.^; i kinda wasn’t thinking about cost….sorry about that TML……..silly me……but if soundtracks are cost effective that would be *really* cool.
    full soundtrack of TP….oh if only it were out……

It is, but it will cost alot. The WW and OoT ones still cost about $50. I’m getting one from Ninty Power… >_>; any time now…

I have a poster up on my wall of Link and Sheik takeing on an entire army of enemies, theyre both stood on a hill while Lord of the Rings sized army surround them, Link has nis Master Sword while Sheik has her small blade, tis a shame that we never see it within the confines of the game.

Sounds like fun!!

Bboy94 said:

i don’t think the one from ninty power is a FULL soundtrack though, it only has like 8-12 track on it or something ridiculously short for a game with as much music as TP. :(

but it mean if TML was suggesting a wii game thats $50 and i think one with connections might be able to get a new TP soundtrack for $50, but then again one might also be able to get a wii game for $30 or something ridiculous, i really don’t know……anywho, if the winner is whoever finishes first, then i’m out completely, i’m never good and timed/speed stuff….

Puzzles…*drool*

Let’s do it! Great idea, TML!

Everything seems ready for takeoff to me. One question though…how will the winner be determined? Is it how quickly they solve the puzzles, or how many puzzles they solve? But, other than the details, I’m fine with it.

Sorry for the double post, but kudos on the Homestar reference! I love that site!

Prophet of Winds said:

This will all be explained in the rules section once I’ve worked it up, but essentially it will be a race to the finish with the first one crossing the line winning everything. I’m not going to go into any more detail for now because I don’t want to spoil anything (there’s actually going to be story involved!), but that answer should be enough to whet your appetite!

now it sounds even more fun :)

:O
    I love puzzles. Especially if they are zelda related. And if they span over all the games, I should have a “chance” now that I’ve finally played OoT and MM and some others. Except for the fact that I can stare at an obvious puzzle for 30 mins and not know how to do it…*coughTPcough*.
    Sounds fun.

Trumpkin said:

I know the very feeling ;) .I usually solve those by accident :) .

Apprentice_Goron said:

Bboy94 said:

No its the whole thing. You can buy the stupid short one for $50 and get a model MS and Hylian Shield.

Prophet of Winds said:

Will someone with a slow computer ( I mean slow. Like a minitue to load this page slow.) have a disadvantage during it, or do you think that won’t be a problem?

Bboy94 said:

Apprentice_Goron said:

Bboy94 said:

I got the TP soundtrack with Nintendo Power and it is not the whole thing - it’s only 7 tracks!

Whoops, I meant:

It’s probably a timed event, like in any racing game, where there’s a time trial mode. I’d guess that the person with the fastest time would win, and the puzzle would be open for a limited time, like a week.

Sorry. I dont know how to quote. (I’m new at blogging.) The first sentance was a quote from Prophet of Winds. It was post # 67.

Prophet of Winds said:

Probably not. There will be a few puzzles that need to be downloaded, but I’m going to try to keep them as utterly small as possible for everyone. For example, one of the puzzles I’m working on only weighs in at 14 kB. It’s not going to be the smallest puzzle, but I’ll work on making it such that everyone will be able to play. :)

Prophet of Winds said:

I’m glad the downloading amount is small. I’ve only got 100mB left on my computer! I need a new computer…:(

Sweeeeeet! I’m in.

Sweeeeeet! I’m in.

I do truely adore the Zelda series, and appreciate the skill that an avid player holds. I myself, however, find the concept stifiling; A barrage of puzzles of a tasking sort would likely be beyond my skill weilding the Master Sword. Sadly, I must admit, I am not the bearer of great zelda-related skill, (I am currently finding Turtle Rock, in A Link to the Past, to be quite difficult.) and would have to opt-out on this opportunity. I do sincerly support your great effort to promote this saga that has united every one of us.

TML, i have a riddle for you (no, its not zelda related, but its tricky!), you have a pound of gold, and a pound of feathers. which one is heavier? think carefully!

the puzzle idea has me hooked… im twelve, to be 13 this july 30th (yay! i have the same birthday as harry potter! :D ) of course, im very good with puzzles, an’ stuff. oh, i took the A.C.T. last year! besides the point.what really matters, is that im going to have fun just solving the puzzles as well as winning prizes!