It’s That Time Again!

January 31st, 2007 at 9:20 pm by Darth Citrus

The nominations have started for EDN’s Third Annual Golden Item Awards! The Golden Item Awards are given each year to honor exceptional sites in the Zelda Community.

As with the previous Golden Item Awards, nominations will run from February 1st to the 28th. The presentation date is set for March 3rd, 2007.

In addition, I have made some changes to the awards, including the addition of two new award categories. For changes, nomination info, award descriptions please continue reading the post.

2007 Changes
In response to suggestions from last year, I am pleased to announce the addition of two new categories for the Golden Item Awards! The Golden Light Arrow for Most Lively Forums and The Golden Mirror Shield for Lifetime Achievement. These two categories join the current three, beinging the total number of award categories to five. Descriptions are at the bottom of the post.

In addition, I have revoked the rule that stated a site can only win a GIA once. You are now free to nominate any Zelda Site you wish, including past winners.

Nominations
The Golden Item Awards are not a vote based award, meaning sites do not win from shear popularity or a massive influx of votes. Nominations serve to bring my attention to a particular site and allows fans to explain why a site should win a GIA.

That being said, a Zelda site does not have to be nominated to win a Golden Item Award; however nominations help bring my attention to site that I may otherwise miss in the judging.

Please remember only Zelda sites are eligible. To nominate a site simply visit this page and fill out the form. It’s that easy. Remember there’s no limitation in nominations. So you can nominate as many sites as you wish!

The Award Categories:

The Golden Deku Nut is presented to a website that brings a unique aspect to the Zelda community. Too many websites these days focus solely on game content and nothing else. The Golden Deku Nut honors the webmasters that strive to make their site standout amongst the myriad of traditional Zelda sites.

• 2007 Recipient - N/A
  • 2006 Recipient - Zelda Blog
  • 2005 Recipient - Project Z.R.E.O.

The Golden Bomb Plant is presented to a website with an incredible layout and design. The layout is what gives a website its character, and is easily what most webmasters spend the most of their time working on. The Golden Bomb Plant honors webmasters that take the time to create an easily navigable and aesthetically pleasing layout.

• 2007 Recipient - N/A
  • 2006 Recipient - Zelda Legacy
  • 2005 Recipient - Twisted Futurity

The Golden Ocarina is presented to a young site that shows promise and dedication. These are sites that are constantly working on new content, always striving to improve, and show a promising future. The Golden Ocarina honors the webmasters of these young sites that are intent on becoming notable members of the Zelda Community.

• 2007 Recipient - N/A
  • 2006 Recipient - Hyrule: Land of the Legend
  • 2005 Recipient - Rauru’s Return

Added in 2007, The Golden Light Arrow is presented to the most lively and fun-loving forums in the community. In an age where interactivity is everything, forums allow Zelda fans from all over the world to share their love for the game. The Golden Light Arrow honors the administrators, moderators, and members that make their forum a great place to participate and have fun.

• 2007 Recipient - N/A

Added in 2007, The Golden Mirror Shield is presented to a site that has significantly contributed to the Zelda community for years. These are the leaders of the community, always working to provide quality content and the latest information, game after game. The Golden Mirror Shield honors the webmasters and staff of these sites for general excellence, dedication and longevity in the Zelda Community.

• 2007 Recipient - N/A

Thanks to everyone in advance for you nominations. See you on March 3rd. :P

Filed under Community, Announcements

Follow This Entry | Leave a Response | Trackback | Read Other Posts by Darth Citrus

39 Messages from the Gossip Stones about “It’s That Time Again!”

Comments

My goal is to get ZeldaBlog to win the Golden Light Arrow. My forums rock hard! Er… yeah!

Such a jokester.

Mike Fireball said:

Such a jokester.

I concur!

Of course, you could try to make forums for Zeldablog! :D Who knows, it could become the most lively forums on the net! We do have more than a month! ;)

*volunteers his site*

I have one! This is it. But I doubt as my site is new that I will get anything… oh well. At least some people know about my slowgoing Zelda site.

Technically, its not a forum as no one but you, DC, Jack, Masamune, lord-of-shadow and maybe some others that I can’t remeber can start new posts.

I hope you sweep the boards, TML Sama. *Sama means Lord for those that dont understand Japanese, lol*

Shinigami Ninja said:

I don’t think your browser properly displays the <sarcasm> </sarcasm> tags properly. ;)

*Sama means Lord for those that dont understand Japanese, lol*

No. It an honorific that means “respected person.”

Aw, TML beat me to the Japanese language lesson! As a side note, -dono can be used for Lord, although it’s not used very much today.

I tried making a Zelda site, but eh, it was just too much for me… oh well. It was going to be one that specialized in telling you how to defeat all of the enemies.

with five categories this should be interesting,’coarse I dont know many sites so I think i will just watch :) .

*Sama means Lord for those that dont understand Japanese, lol*

No. It an honorific that means “respected person.”

well,a lord is a respected person,right :) ?

btw,what is a forum? a place where anybody can make articles?

A fourum is basicly one big happy place where all of the members come together and chat. Its sorta like ZB, but everybody can make thier own topics, and then chat them to death. :D

“A big happy place”, eh? Yes. I suppose you could call them that :P

I think either TDC or ZeldaBlog should get the Golden Mirror shield, though I’m not sure how long either of them have been around.

lord-of-shadow said:

“A big happy place”, eh? Yes. I suppose you could call them that :P

I have to agree with your implications that caveats need to be put into place there. ;)

Bboy94 said:

The Desert Colossus has easily been around since before I started running TGA, and that was back in May 2001. ZeldaBlog has been around since October 2005, which will make us a glorious 1½ this coming March, so I don’t know if that’d categorise us as “old” or not, but my hunch is no. X)

Shinigami Ninja said:

If all forums were like that, the internet would be a better place.

I second that. :P

Guy’s I’ve only recieved 4 nominations so far. Anyone can win these awards, so submit a site even if you think it won’t win. You never know. :P

Oh ok then I vote Youtube.

I’m going to make a site soon but I don’t know when. Of course there isn’t enough time to win a nomination. :( Can a site receive the same nomination a second time?

Shinigami Ninja said:

*Sama means Lord for those that dont understand Japanese, lol*

No. It an honorific that means “respected person.”

Actually my Japanese Teacher (who is from Japan, lol) told me that it is a title given to a Lord, Emperor or respected person, :p

Hmm, I don’t know who to nominate for what. I agree with those on the list so far, those are good nominations.

Shinigami Ninja said:

Those would be cool if they existed.

*Sama means Lord for those that dont understand Japanese, lol*

Ninja Lord Kakashi said:
    No. It an honorific that means “respected person.”

Robert UK said:

I say:
    That makes more sense. In Bleach Rukia calls Kuchiki Byakuya “Nii-Sama” (honored brother), and others call him Kuchiki-Sama because he is their commanding officer and they respect him. Everyone else just gets called captain.

lord-of-shadow said:

“A big happy place”, eh? Yes. I suppose you could call them that :P

Bboy94 said:

I was a year and a touch when I got it two years ago. Wow, three years old this month. Blah, I feel young compared to TDC, lol.

hmmm the only zelda sites i really go to are TGA and here…nothing personal to the others i just dont care for browsing to much ;)

i wish i could speak/read jappanese…

I guess I would nominate zelda blog for the golden arrow award.

The Desert Colossus has been around for 7 or 8 years now. It’s definately a old site. Old as it may be, however, cob-webs dont grow on it. It’s still as alive as you and me, and it;s my favorite Zelda site. I definately believe TDC deserves the Golden Mirror Shield award. ^_^

oops,I said I would nominate zelda blog for the golden arrow award….I didnt see that it has to go to a forum though.oh well,easy mistake :? .

For what it’s worth, emperors and lords would easily be respected people. ;) While I cannot say for certain if you would use -sama for all of them, what little Japanese I studied specifies that -sama means someone you look up to.

From what I know of reading the entire Series of Rurouni Kenshin, ‘-sama’ is a title of such high respect, that it almost equates to fear. Shishio, the villain of the kyoto arc was truly evil, and the guys under him, they really FEARED him. It’s reserved for the really big guys, those that have a LOT of power.

As a side note, Kenshin would always use ‘-dono’ when talking to a lady, like ‘megami-dono’. It seems that dono commands respect in the gentle way, while ‘-sama’ commands respect in a very strong way.

So forum RPG’s are still pretty much going to be ignored then. I doubt any will come close to the community forums in recognition.

They have RPGs inside forums?

Ugh, how does that even work?

It is a text RPG. There used to be one at ZFGN, you can still look at it.

Majorasblaze said:

If the forum RPG is inside a forum, I will consider the forum as a whole. If the Forum itself is an RPG, the I will still consider it.

If people actually took the time to nominate forum RPG’s I would draw more attention to them. But don’t go talking about me “ignoring them” if no one can be bothered to even nominate it.

Sesshorochikuramaru said:

i wish i could speak/read jappanese…

Join a class then, it seemed really difficult when I first started but after 18 weeks I think ive got the basics down, you’re still young so go for it, you dont want to look back in 10 or 20 years time and say “oh i wish I had done this or that”, this is your time so make the most of it, we only live once… unless your a Hindu, lol.

Darth Citrus said:

Majorasblaze said:

If so, then I nominate the HA2 forums in TDC

There seem to be quite a few members from ye olde desert colossus. I’m Darkphantomime (currently JQ pickwick) there. So would the other TDCers mind posting their usernames there?

I nominate TDC for the mirror shield. Name ONE zelda site that’s lasted as long as TDC.

Guess who I am… YOU DON’T KNOW, ITS *NAVING* THE SAME AS HERE!
    I nominated TDC for Mirror shield already btw.

Name ONE zelda site that’s lasted as long as TDC

Ooooh. A challenge :P

1998 (June): The Grand Adventures
    1998 (June): Ganon’s Tower

1999 (January): Legends of Zelda (merged with Zelda Legends to become Zelda Legends

1999 (February): Zelda Legends (Merged with Legends of Zelda to become Zelda Legends

1999 (April): Zelda Planet

1999 (October): Desert Colossus

Others:

Zelda Power has been around since 1999, at least, but maybe longer.

The grand prize for oldest still living Zelda site goes to Juliet Singleton and her site, North Castle, which has been around since the summer of 1997. As far as I know, it is the only remaining Zelda site that actually predates Ocarina of Time.

Dark Mime Gogo said:

Ganon’s Tower, The Grand Adventures and Zelda Legends to name a few. :P The sad thing is, there used to be many more. :(

Sesshorochikuramaru said:

i wish i could speak/read jappanese…

i’ll have to look into that :)