Gossip Stones - The Lost Communication

January 14th, 2007 at 7:00 pm by Archaic Sage

This is no different in the Zelda world either. If you know that tiny tip to help kill Gohma, or “Twenty-Three is Number One” then you are going to be able to push the saviour of Hyrule a lot faster than if you had to systematically kill all of those Deku Scrubs and then realise how to get through to battle with Gohma. Yet, there are also bits of information that only a few should really be privy to, such as Zelda’s a bit of a tomboy.

If you haven’t guessed it yet, we are discussing Gossip Stones, and how they have seemingly disappeared from Hyrule altogether. The first time we really see Gossip Stones is in Ocarina of Time, and we then see them again in the parallel world of Termina. That’s it. There are no other references to a stone that can tell you the thoughts and the gossip of other people in any other Zelda game at all.

The Gossip Stones are grey, round and somewhat soft items within Ocarina of Time and Majora’s Mask. They contain something that is of great significance to the first argument that will be presented. Each Gossip Stone is unique, and they will all say something different, these different items of news are what make them important in the social commentary of the Zelda games. Yet, the emblem that has been carved onto each Stone is one that is more generally associated with the Shiekah tribe.

Gossip Stones

As is shown from the image above, the Gossip Stone is most certainly engraved; however, that’s not the important part. The important part is the fact that it retains the majority of the Shiekah symbol, which is described as being three parts of the Triforce over something below it. This item below it varies depending upon what we are analysing. In this case it could be described as a disjointed Triforce and an Eye underneath it. This Eye is considered an Eye because of the Mask owned by the Happy Mask Shop Man, who has named the mask, The Eye of Truth.

It could easily be a possibility that the Shiekah were able to Communicate through the Gossip Stones and that the other people who needed to understand what they were saying used the mask, The Eye of Truth to understand what was being said. If these were used for communication, there are two possibilities available to us - instant telecommunication or a message system. The former seems the least likely out of the pair. My reasoning for this argument is because if the messages were instant, like a telephone, we would not be able to go up to the Gossip Stones and learn of the fact that Zelda is a tomboy, or that Malon set the original record at the Lon Lon Ranch for the races.

The latter seems far more likely, for two reasons. Simply for the counter argument of the mentioned, it seems like they are left messages as we can access the same message time and time again. Further, it would also appear to be more likely because of the positions of these Gossip Stones, they tend to be in very important places, be that geographically as they do tend to watch over important areas, be that the Fire Temple, the Lost Woods, The Temple of Time or Hyrule Castle and because they all do tend to be a touch on the “hidden” side. None of them, aside from at The Temple of Time are in obvious locations, and that means that if there are Shiekahs out there, they can easily access one of these stones to leave a message for their fellow Shiekahs.

Yet, where did they go after Ocarina of Time? They just disappeared out of Hyrule, as Termina is not in Hyrule at all. It is a possibility that the Gossip Stones are simply created by the Shiekah’s, for the Royal Family and other Shiekah tribe members, and without the tribe’s existence and the existence of the original Royal Family, they have become useless and have simply been swept away into time; such as the stories about the original creation of Hyrule and the Goddesses.

However, there should be some form of reference to the Gossip Stones themselves if the Shiekah made them, as they were landmarks on the geography of Hyrule. Even if the Shiekah became extinct over time, the marks that they left on the land should not have died with them. In reality they should have remained, maybe covered in moss, maybe not. But they should have been there.

We know that when a Shiekah dies, their work does not die with them as we have documented proof of this. The Composer Brother’s, although never officially classified by Nintendo as Shiekah, are obviously Shiekah as they claim:

I am one of the ghostly composer brothers of Kakariko Village.

We know that they were born in Kakariko because of this, and we must therefore assume that they are Shiekah as the Village was exclusively for the Shiekah until Impa opened up the village to the general populace of Hyrule. These brothers prove the fact that what the Shiekah do on Hyrule does not fall with them, as they etched the Sun’s Song onto the Royal Family’s main tombstone, and that did not fall with the brothers.

It could simply be that the stones were harnessed and used in other ways. We see only two further examples of something similar to what the Gossip Stones could be, and that’s with the Stone given to Link by Tetra in The Wind Waker, where Tetra and The King of Red Lions can directly communicate with Link, and in A Link to the Past where there are those “tiles” where Link can communicate with Sashrilla.

Yet, both of those examples go against everything that I have argued for within this article. However, it is the only plausible explanation of what happened to these stones, which select people, can use the stone to communicate with someone telepathically by touching the stone. After all, in A Link to the Past telepathy is not something that is unusual, as Link receives telepathic messages from Zelda at the very beginning of his adventure through Hyrule. It’s not an impossible thought that throughout the hundreds, if not thousands of years between Ocarina of Time and A Link to the Past, including The Wind Waker, that the Royal Family, the strongest family in Hyrule, have managed to re-gather the secrets of the Shiekah tribe and better their invention.

However, there’s no solid proof either way. I would like to see some more background information on this area of Zelda. Simply because it could easily provide a very interesting social history and background to the Zelda games; for those of us who are hardcore enough to care.

Filed under Editorials, Ocarina of Time

35 Messages from the Gossip Stones about “Gossip Stones - The Lost Communication”

Comments

i never thought of the gossip stones as important after i read about malon and the race record, or zelda being a tomboy, it just wasnt useful information. maybe i have to look harder.

Maybe the gossip stones were used to spread mindless chatter throughout Sheikans, or maybe important things too. Maybe after Ocarina of time they had to hide them because it would give out information to the wrong people. Hmmm…Who knows?
    There are many reasons for gossip stones.

I have something potentially relevant, except I’m not sure if it should be posted in a non-spoiler topic. It is very minor and has nothing to do with the storyline, and they’re entirely optional. I suspect those who have played TP would know what I’m talking about by now, and it could be that gossip stones deteriorated into them or the like, and the result of what you do to them could lead to a similar, or slightly different conclusion, based on how you take it. (Being as vague as possible here whilst still explaining what is relevant. If one of the “Powers that be” here sees this and follows, please expand on this yourself if you believe its appropriate.)

Aside from that; the stones are also missing in the games before OoT. It further raises the question as to where they were. Perhaps they were messages left by the Sheikah that dissappear over time, and had simply not been left in the earlier games.

I always wondered why they shot into the sky like a Firework whenever you used a Bomb on them, why would the Sheikah design them to do that?

Mebbe the tribe mentioned in the beginning of MM made them. They’re sorta the parellel-world version of the Sheikah.

DaMoose said:

Wait…What?

Gossip Stones are mentioned in the Wind Waker as well. The King mentions that Tetra’s stone, the one she, Link, and the King all used was made with the same technique.

In TP, the howling stones… reminded me alot of these.

i just think there a way to sneak hints in a game :/ , and in tww, they were just a referance of the timeline that doesnt really exist yet

I think the gossip stones are,in some way or another,living creatures.the mask of truth (or whatever they are called) is probably just a tool used by the shiekahs to read the thoughts of the stones.what the stones exactly are im not sure.when you look at them without the mask it says something like its peering into your mind,they could be trying to talk to you but are unable (that must be frustrating :P ).they are the gossip stones after all,they probably like to spread rumors ^_^ .

ofcoarse then you have to consider TWW…either they chopped them up,they changed form,or they’re babies :D .

You guys think that possibly after decades(TP) they would deteriorate, you said yourself that they were soft.
    All supposed amounts of time, but around this much:
    Created before war+10 years of war+1 year of OoT+1 year after OoT+70 years=deteriorated before TP

Snowsilver said:

Exact quote?

Bboy94 said:
    Exact quote?

TETRA:Are you him? Are you the one who wasspeaking through my stone without mypermission? Answer me!

KING:That stone is an enhanced version of the Gossip Stones long spoken of in the legendsof the Hyrulian Royal Family. I am the onewho made it.

TETRA:You made it? The royal family’s Gossip Stone? I’m sorry, but I have no idea what you’re talking about.

———————————————–

there it is :) .eh…advanced version? thats going to make my theory hard to believe,dont supose they could evolve :P .

Shadow Ninja Kakashi said:

Bboy94 said:

All supposed amounts of time, but around this much:

Maybe they are living creatures, in a way. Like the Armos, but designed as message carries. The Sheikah were probably serious gossips (and gender confused, but that’s a different story ;) ) and used their creations, the Gossip Stones, to pass on serious gossip, without wasting Deku Nuts and magic. They are semi-living stone made of soft talc-like stone (talcum is made from a very soft rock, so soft, it crumbles in your hand) and they have some form of intelligence and sentience. They were designed to blow-up when hit by bombs as a way to keep enemies from reading anything that could be attacking Hyrule, and reset when things are calm. Maybe because the Sheikah died out, and after a war, new ones haven’t been set us, but the Royal Family kept the secret of the stones, and used them for the future.Because they’re living, they may not have deteriorated. Just my two Force Gems.

DaMoose said:

I do believe I know what you are referring to, and I concur with you, good sir!

Though those work a bit differently than those in OoT…

I shall expand no further.

Legendary_Blade said:

DaMoose said:

I do believe I know what you are referring to, and I concur with you, good sir!

Though those work a bit differently than those in OoT…

I shall expand no further.

I think he means the howling stones. They pretty much are gossip stones with a hole in the middle.

So, where does all this leave us?

In OoT, Gossips Stones are message machines, telling irrelevant things like “Zelda’s a tomboy” and “Kaepora Gaebora is lighthearted”, while in TP they’re Howling Stones, with Wolf Link tapping into them for “direct communication”, if you will?

And in/prior to tWW, King Daphnes Nohansen Hyrule managed to transform what has been theorized to be a patented Sheikah secret into the modern-day Gossip Stone (or, in-game the pirates’/Tetra’s stone, or whatever), once again, and in a realistic manner, used for direct communication, the closest device to a telephone we’ve ever seen in a Zelda game.

OK…This all seems like some great information, but, as I asked before, where does it leave us? Can we actually divulge any Sheikah-related info from the Stones, beside the fact that they weren’t very good at making their products tamper-proof?

Discuss away!

…… all your base are belong to us! i cant make any sense out of the gossip stones. if they were used by the sheikah, they would all be serious gossips. i mean, do the sheikah sound like the type of people to gossip?

Shinigami Ninja said:

Legendary_Blade said:

DaMoose said:

I do believe I know what you are referring to, and I concur with you, good sir!

Though those work a bit differently than those in OoT…

I shall expand no further.

Mmmm hmm, ‘t is also what I was referring to. Their looks resemble them quite similarly, but arguably work slightly differently (I will not discuss their functioning).

uberzeldamaster said:

As serious as they may seem, they could be those type of people who spread that kind of information…we never really know because we know little about them (besides Impa and Sheik, we haven’t arguably encountered any other Sheikah). They were perhaps the closest race/people to the Royal Family, thus learning quite a bit of valuable information to chatter amongst themselves, maybe that was their form of…amusement…*looks around innocently*.

I like to think of them as a way of furthering the story when the developers were too lazy to put more people or cities in.

You know, its not polite to Gossip, and those stones are no exeption. Besides, Gossip stones didn’t have anything interesting to say anyways, no wonder Nintendo phased them out.

all your base are belong to us is an instant win cheat from several different games. One of which I believe is Warcraft III.

Wait, what did Akira say?

Akira said:

So, where does all this leave us?

Discuss away!

(Emphasis mine)That’s what I thought. Something clicked when I read that, and I got a theory. Since they weren’t tamper proof, maybe the Sheikah were using gossip as a code, since at that time, it was like war, and if the enemy didn’t know the code found I the gossip, then it seems like useless info. By the way, the “unknown stones” of TP had no related purpose to the Gossip Stones.

Jumanji Shishioh said:

Wait, what did Akira say?

Akira said:

So, where does all this leave us?

Discuss away!

of course not they were broken. There was a hole right through the middle. Like a gossip stone Hollow but not evil.

Another fact is that they’re solid (I think) so they’re not the same stones. I was thinking last night after my post, and I’ve come to a revelation. First, let us take a step back, to the days when we just thought of the Zelda series as games, and not something incredible, where it was just something silly and such. Now that we’ve been returned to reality, let’s think and take note on this. Back in LoZ, the Old Man gave us confusing words (darn translators) that had a meaning, so I figured that the Gossip Stones were the same. Like when the stones said that Zelda is a tomboy, it means she’s Sheik. When they say Kaepora Gaebora is lighthearted, he’s the reincarnation of Rauru (Marin pulled off a similar stunt ;) ) I could be wrong, but think on these things, I have. Now, you may return to the Zelda-verse.

Jumanji Shishioh said:

What did Marin do?

Shinigami Ninja said:What did Marin do?

she turned into a seagull (speaking of which I almost have the good LA ending :D ).

oh by the way I agree Jumanji Shishioh,the gossip stones could be giving coded information (or they could have no better way of putting it :? ).I think they just record (or watch) things that happen and tell it to whoever can hear.it could be the shiekahs way of spying.

*sigh* What am I to do to get people to listen to. I weep, lol. Just kidding. I still think the gossip stones serve the purpose of giving us details of the game. Of course, people seem to like the idea of coded gossip.

in that phoelink story, i provided a link that if you went to that oot part of the site and clicked on walkthrough (please dont stone me now), it had something simply reading as “gossip stones”. it gave you a list of the forty gossip stones and where they were and what they said. they would say, “It is said that Ganondorf rides a full black Gerudo stallion.” it said this at least 25% of the gossip stones. is there a reason for this??

let me correct myself. it said said quote at least 10 times out of the forty godssip stones. ill have to check later for majoras mask.

*sigh* that portion of the site does not list the gossip stones at all. tis the cruelty of life.

by the way,I ment I agreed that nintendo used the gossip stones to give coded information,not the shiekahs.my post-as always-was a bit unclear.I think if you look at the gossip stones,as far as gameplay is concerned,they are tools to help the players understand the gameplay and some of the plot (or atleast help them guess,I can think of atleast three gossip stone messages that hint at things in the plot).but,when you overanalyze it like were doing :P ,they could be recorders that the shiekahs use to spy.I mean hey,if you walked up to a stone and you could feel it peering into your mind,you wouldnt stick around too long no matter how suspicus it looked :D .you wouldnt have to worry about people stealing your info then ^_^ .

that thought of, “gazing into your mind” is a little creepy. then again, so are we to aliens.i mean, look at who they meet when they get here! its like they see a bunch of farmers from 1950 just standing there going, “…… Come ‘ere, leetle creeter.”

They could just be fun crap put in the game for no real reason. Just like *NAVNAVINAVINAVI* at *NAVINAVINAVINAVI*’s window in TP, or the romantic couple in the town square of castle town in oot. Or any of another hundred random things in any given game.

Akira said:

Yeah, except for the actual telephones in L.A. The gossip stones are more like walkie-talkies. And hows come you guys only talk about stuff like gossip stones, not how an old man was able to cover an island with fully-working telephone booths! (not to mention that the wires used for them were underground!)

Shadow Ninja Kakashi said:

Heh, heh. I got that ending on the first run-through. In fact, I haven’t seen the bad ending yet. All you have to do is shut the game off when you lose all your hearts. Seems cheap, but for some reason, I get all OCD about making sure I have no deaths.

Prophet of Winds said:Heh, heh. I got that ending on the first run-through. In fact, I haven’t seen the bad ending yet.

well your not missing much -_-’ ,actually,you dont miss anything,the good ending is just added in it would seem.

Prophet of Winds said:All you have to do is shut the game off when you lose all your hearts. Seems cheap, but for some reason, I get all OCD about making sure I have no deaths.

*gasp*,*whistles nervously*…uh,for shame…ch-cheating like that :? .

Prophet of Winds said:

well since kohilint was just a dream its very possible that it all just started there.if it were anything else it would of involved tingles slave driver skills it would have been quite a feit and probably more talked about.but since its not ulari stays second to the gossip stones.

I was going to mention the telephone booths, but I thought there was one. I don’t read enough spoilers. The TWW Version of the Gossip Stone seems more efficient than the OoT/MM version, since there’s liess likely a chance of someone getting hold of useful info juicy gossip.