Zelda Brings out the Best in People. At Least Someone

December 12th, 2006 at 3:50 pm by lord-of-shadow

Hey, this isn’t the biggest bit of news, but it’s such a touching story that I wanted to share it with you guys.

When I was a kid and recently diagnosed with diabetes, a teenage guy I had never met felt sorry for me and gave me his NES. Soon after that he bought me an SNES. And thus began my love of video games. Those gifts, that guy’s kindness, changed my life and helped make me into the person I am today. This story reminded me that kindness. I’ll let SuperDecimal, of Zelda Universe, describe it in his own words:

I gots teh em0, and simply walked out of school an hour early.
I randomly came across a GAME shop that was down to its last 50 copies of Wii TP near the Bus-stop..
There around 70-80 people in there, but because I got there before the school, I managed to get one.

Outside, there was a mum hugging her son, telling him that they had no more copies, and the little boy just accepted it, and wiped away his tears.
He must’ve been at least seven or eight, but he took the ‘news’ so maturely that I felt so upset for him.

I simply handed him my copy. :)
The little boy’s face…that’s a scene I don’t think I’ll forget for a long time. His face just suddenly shone, and he was all smiley and huggable.
His mum offered to pay for it, but I said no, and just went home.

That felt good.

You are a bigger man than I, SuperDecimal. I doubt I could have ever brought myself to do something like that on the spur of the moment. You may very well have set this young boy on the path towards Zelda webmasterdom and video game obsession :p

It’s a little thing, but it touched me, and I wanted to share it with the community.

Filed under Community

Follow This Entry | Leave a Response | Trackback | Read Other Posts by lord-of-shadow

34 Messages from the Gossip Stones about “Zelda Brings out the Best in People. At Least Someone”

Trackbacks & Pingbacks

• Trackback from auto insurance quote:

auto insurance

Car Insurance

Comments

nice story.and it gives me an idea! ill just go to some random game store tomorrow and look all sad,then someone is bound to give me a GCN TP for free :P ! it might be a bit more convincing if I were,uh,smaller though :? . just kidding of coarse :) (…er…maybe ;) ).

That’s what I call, a true Christmas spirit ^_^ It always feels to good to give to the unfortunate.

Nice story…

I’m going to put away the itch to hijack your topic, LoS. But it does remind me of something that I would like to bring up.

The makers of Penny Arcade have an excellent thing going with the Child’s Play Charity, where gamers buy and donate games to sick children around the world. I plan on donating a good bit this year, and if you’re feeling the giving spirit this year, I recommend doing so also.

I’m glad you brought that up TML. I’ve been contributing to CPC since its beginning (three years ago?), and it is really a great charity to give to. I would also highly recommend for everyone to at least check the website out.

mm… sweet story. Theres a bunch of goodness in the world…
True giving..

hmmm… Interesting. I think I’ll give that guy the gift of grammar and spelling.
On a side note, on Wii launch day this guy was in line dressed as Mario, when he got his he went outside and held it triumphantly in the air shaking it, he got the first one. The jerk had to unkowingly rub it in that 15 people would have to wait a week to get one.

Zelda along with other NES classics(Mario,Metriod,etc.) also me the way I am today.

thats so nice

that’s really cool :)
hope everyone can get a copy of the game, this is just heartwarming.

I usually try to be the big tough guy type who never lets anything get to him but that really touched me, lol. It would be nice to think that we could all do that but I guess we wont know until we are in the same situation. SuperDecimal, may the path of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

Nice story, but I suspect that’s all it is; nothing more than fiction. I hate to be so cynical, but I can’t help but feel it sounds a little too much like those chain e-mails that sometimes make their way into people’s inboxes.

However, the sentiment should be appreciated and as TML pointed out, there is a nice charity called Child’s Play to which you can donate :) It’s good to see gamers giving something back to society :)

Wow, I must really be emotionally deficient. If it moved a big tough brittish guy but I just thought, “Yeah, so what” I must have serious issues. My folks waited in line for two hours to get me a Wii and when they called to say they got the last one I just said “Really? awesome,” in a very monotone voice.

nice thing to do. :) I hope everyone who wanted a copy got one.

I haven’t even gotten a Wii yet. :( I’m trying, but you can never reach a store in time when you live in the middle of nowhere. If I saw a young child in that situation, I’d have the roughest internal conflict of my life.

dont you think that would have come across rude? Even if it didn’t excite you, it would have been better to reward their efforts with some happiness.

I used to work at a video rental store. I’ve given kids free video game rentals many times.

Great Lord Ephraim said:

That’s not to say Iwasn’t happy. I was ecstatic. But I just can’t show that very well. Then there’s the fact that I had been reading Bleach on MangaVolume for two hours and they were all talking about Rukia dying so it was fairly depressing. That said though, I am not easily moved, and they were mad as *navi*. They almost didn’t give it to me. But I did a happy dance (it was just my parents so no humiliation) and they gave it to me.

ah I see.yup,magna can do that :D .

Great Lord Ephraim said:

ah I see.yup,magna can do that :D .

Now if it was One Piece I would have been jumping and screaming simply because of its jovial nature, but Bleach is more depressing.

Great Lord Ephraim said:

ah I see.yup,magna can do that :D .

You should try reading the Tenchi Muyo Manga, ive been planning a fanfiction that will work as a crossoevr between Tenchi and Zelda for quite some time, anyone whose seen the anime or read the Manga will understand how I can make this work.

They almost didn’t give it to you? Good for them! It was flipping cold outside, and all you managed was a “cool”. It was so cold I couldn’t even knit my scarf. So, little brother, I think I’m entitled to see this “happy dance” of yours, because Mom and Dad weren’t the only ones waiting outside Best Buy for two hours! And I didn’t even get the GameCube out of the deal. I also claim dibs on the Wii when I get home on Thursday.

And reading a Manga is no excuse for your lack of enthusiasm. :b

Mirelena said:
And reading a Manga is no excuse for your lack of enthusiasm. :b

surely the words of one who dosnt read ‘em :P .

hmm this is zelda blog not issue blog -_-

i hope everyone else who doesnt have a TP yet gets one soon ^_^

maybe a very tiny spoiler?
My brother was playing TP today, he just got it.i like how they make link have a some emotions in the game its cool,and im used to his voice already too :) .

Great Lord Ephraim said:

Mirelena said:
And reading a Manga is no excuse for your lack of enthusiasm. :b

surely the words of one who dosnt read ‘em :P .

No kidding. She obviously didn’t hear that RUKIA WAS ABOUT TO DIE!!! Not just die but be unjustly EXECUTED!!

you were diagnosed with diabetes?????!!!!!! OMG!!!!!!!

WHY DID NO ONE TELL ME THIS?????????

GOD DAMN MAN, I WISH I COULD HEAL YOU RIGHT NOW WITH MY ZELDA POWERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GOD!!!!!! :p

nice story tml. it was very sad then happy.

• 27. ella says:

Aww… I probably would’ve done the same thing. Every time I go by those guys with the bells and the red buckets I throw in whatever money is in my pockets.

I probably would’ve cried if he’d looked up at me all happy. I almost got teary reading this. XD

double post, but… its really 5:41 pm where i am. you must live in a diffrent time zone TML.

uberzeldamaster,please blank off your swearing next time.

Great Lord Ephraim said:

Mirelena said:
And reading a Manga is no excuse for your lack of enthusiasm. :b

surely the words of one who dosnt read ‘em :P .

I saw a preview for that one in shonen jump.sounds like a good one :) .

I usually try to be the big tough guy type who never lets anything get to him…

Oh yeah? *holds up a baby Zora with big puppy eyes, looking at Robert tearfully* How about this? *lol*

I’d probably do the same thing in SuperDecimal’s situation. I’m a real softy ^_^ hahahaha!

Jumanji Shishioh said:

I usually try to be the big tough guy type who never lets anything get to him…

I AM SURROUNDED BY BLEEDING HEARTS! Oh well, the world needs charitable people too, of course charity does not invlove giving 40-year old encyclopedias to Katrina victims.

Jumanji Shishioh said:

I usually try to be the big tough guy type who never lets anything get to him…

Ill tell YOU what I told Ruto, the baby is NOT mine, lol.

• 33. Sage says:

Awww… that makes me want to… smile. And thats something right there. (my list of reasons to live is down to… 3. Thats actually pretty good, considering my circumstances, but anyways… *shiftyeyes*) That must have taken a lot of guts. I probably would have been too busy admiring the shiny packaging to even notice the kid. n_n; But then, my Wii and Tp was a surprise gift, so unless the kid was ther crying in my house I wouldnt have been able to do anything. and if that was the case I probably would have done something like yell, “Why the *navi* are you in my house?!”

heh… teh em0s. I get them sometimes. I got to stay home from school one day I had them so bad. course, I blamed it on a stomach ache. heh…