Phantom Delayed; Next Wii Zelda Underway

December 11th, 2006 at 10:31 pm by The Missing Link

Earlier today, I found this article over at Joystiq (sourced by many other sources as well) regarding an article within the newest issue of Game Informer magazine.

First the bad news: Phantom Hourglass has been delayed until October 2007. No, we will not be overloaded with Zelda all at once, which of course is a shame, but that’s the way the cookie crumbles. As you might have seen, the counter on the main page of the ‘Blog has been updated with a good guestimate of its release date. Though 300+ days may seem like forever and a day away from today, you’ve got Twilight Princess in your grubby little paws (I hope!), so you have the opportunity to love it and savour it for a while to come.

But now the good news (if not awesome news at that): The next Wii Zelda game is already in development! In fact, they’ve already been working on this title for about a year, according to the magazine. This isn’t entirely a surprise, but if the rumour is true, the next Wiimote sword-slasher will be out before you know it. But let’s not get our hopes up. The earliest you should be expecting this thing is 2008; after all, it took Majora’s Mask two full years to come out, and that’s when Nintendo borrowed the graphics engine and half of their characters from Ocarina. Besides, we wouldn’t want to rain on Phantom Hourglass‘ parade! Regardless, it looks like we won’t be having to wait five full years before we see Link and Zelda’s shining faces on our TV again.

Filed under Games, News, Nintendo, Phantom Hourglass

40 Messages from the Gossip Stones about “Phantom Delayed; Next Wii Zelda Underway”

Comments

O.O I have no words for this.
    PH is well under a year away.
    Zelda Wii is something like 3 years away.
    basically 2 games we could imagine
    -sequel to TP
    -something completely different :)

You know, I figured that the Phantom Hourglass was to Twilight Princess, as what Majora’s Mask was to Ocarina of Time… but I guess I was wrong.

I wonder what it will be about? Seeing as how Majora’s Mask wasn’t related to Ocarina, I don’t think this Wii-Zelda will be related to Twilight Princess (unless by time frame?). Hmm. If this rumor really is true, I’m going to die of anticipation.

Lord knows my patience is weary. XDD

Viva la Zelda!

Yibbee! new Wii Zelda!!!!! Shame about PH, though…I really wanted to play that…But, is he saying TP isn’t a true Wii Zelda!? The fool…TP is every bit as good on the Wii as on the GCN! Isn’t it…? I thought it was (well, IS, to be more precise) a showcase for the Wii! It makes me mad! Argh!

I’m going to refrain from thinking of either, lest I go crazy waiting.

No rest for Zelda fans. Or their budgets.

ella said:

No rest for Zelda fans. Or their budgets.

that’s right, we’ve got many past Zelda titles to look forward to in the next years over the Virtual Console.

truth be told im not surprised.its safe to say we wont be seeing the new zelda for about 1000 3-4 years.

…hey! I just remembered TP is released on the GCN tomorrow :D !

ella said:

No rest for Zelda fans. Or their budgets.

ah,so true.plus I have to think about other stuff too :? .

Well, atleast my parent won’t go, “You gotten TP on Christmas, why get the other so soon?” Heheh. Next Zelda Wii? I bet 100 Force Gems I’ll have the Wii by then. I also bet it won’t be as good as TP. With those bets, I would win a medium-sized red Force Gem.

Well the delay of PH isn’t too surprising, especially if they have already started the ground work for the next Wii Zelda. Really, when you think about it, they probably started batting around ideas for a Wii Zelda, decided to make TP a Wii launch, and were in the middle of PH, all around the same time. My guess is when TP came to crunch time, PH was put on the back burner. TP probably needed the attention more at that time anyways.

While TP was an amazing game…I wouldn’t put my hopes down for the next wii Zelda. When Nintendo decided to make TP a Wii launch, they had to look through the GCN game they made, and see how the controls in that game could be done with the Wiimote. In this next version, they can focus on the wii-mote, and what the game can do for it. I’m pretty sure that means new items and play mechanics like we’ve never seen before.

Good to be reminded that TP is not the final product, but just the latest game in a truly amazing franchise.

And don’t forget nintendo’s remark that made everyone worried, that TP would be the last regular zelda game.

shadowknight said:

I was just thinking that.wasnt it something like “the last of its kind” or something wierd like that? I wonder what they meant by that.meh,they probably just wanted to get everybody talking about them :P .

They said that TP is the last game as we know it in it’s current form. I guess that the next game will have something different in it. Whatever that it, it’ll be dead obvious. I wonder how they come up with the names.

Great Lord Ephraim said:

shadowknight said:

It COULD mean that it was the last one using the old control scheme(GCN version).

skywalker001 said:

Great Lord Ephraim said:

shadowknight said:

Yeah, I guess that’s possible. Maybe they meant that its in a whole different world, like Termina from MM. Who know, and really I don’t care, when I get a hold of TP, I’ll be happy :D !

13 days until Christmas and a Wii.

Jumanji Shishioh said:

I think you mean rupee. Force Gems have little value as only Link has any use for them.

• 16. Jmo1 says:

I knew about another Wii Zelda for 2 days, but without E3 how will people get to try the game long before it comes out?

must have new zelda!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!O.o

Jmo1 said:

good question. I’m guessing GDC (Game Developer’s Conference), TGS (Tokyo Game Show), CES (Consumer Electronics Show) and other smaller venues. also remember that E3 is still around, and Nintendo will still be there, just everything will be invite-only and on a much smaller scale.

the announcement of Zelda Wii may come at us by suprise, with no set date in May to look forward to.

Saphine said:

Lord knows my patience is weary. XDD

Viva la Zelda!

Actually, PH is like Majora’s Mask, but for WW, not TP.

Oh well at least we have twilight princess to play to death until then.

Oh well at least we have twilight princess to play to death until then.

Playing the same game too many times in a row gets boring though.

Oh well at least we have twilight princess to play to death until then.

Playing the same game too many times in a row gets boring though.

not fire emblem :P *kills nergal for the 1,974,273,487 th time*

Great Lord Ephraim said:

Oh well at least we have twilight princess to play to death until then.

Playing the same game too many times in a row gets boring though.

not fire emblem :P *kills nergal for the 1,974,273,487 th time*

LOL! Which FE game is Nergal from though? The first FE for GBA? That’s suddenly bugging me.

But I don’t think TP will ever really get old, you know? I mean of course doing the dungeons over and over again will eventually get to you, but all the mini games and such, and secrets, and glitches, and yadie yadie yada, it will truly take a long time. Plus, I bet every one of us will go back to TP in like a year and a half or so when we have forgotten about it when PH is out, and we’ll beat it again. That’s what I’ve done with OoT, MM, WW (yeah, I know), and ALttP over the years.

The first American FE, called FE Blazing Sword in Japan. But it was the first one here so yeah.
    I do agree with you on that point, FE never gets old. Even PoR was a great game. It just wasn’t up to FE standards.

yeah,nergals from FE 7.hes fun to kill ^_^ .fire emblem dosnt get old because there has to be over a thousand different ways to play it.then you take into acount the support conversations and…well it has an insane replay value :P .

Great Lord Ephraim said:

That’s the worst part of PoR. No value in getting all the conversations because you can’t replay them.

I think it was! This is my seventh time playing it, and its STILL fun.
    Back to the topic, I think I will never get tierd of TP, ever.

shadowknight said:

I think it was! This is my seventh time playing it, and its STILL fun.
    Back to the topic, I think I will never get tierd of TP, ever.

it had alot of flaws:it was missing the level S wepons (some),the support stunk (kinda),the characters were…lacking,and the plot didnt come untill…well…it just didnt come :? .I think they tride to copy the older snes games.but this is zelda blog and not the place for a FE conversation (I need to get thinking about making my own site -_- ).

maybe the reason they said TP will be the last of its kind is because they are going to replace him with tingle :) .while there at it they can merge the series with mario! it can be “the legend of mario:tingle princess” :D *shivers* .

Jumanji Shishioh said:

Hmm…something dead obvious…Wait. A. Second. Every Zelda game before now has been an offline game, right? So maybe…

The Legend of Zelda: The MMORPG.

I have no clue how Nintendo would pull that off, though, since Zelda’s always been focused on one player, one protagonist.

Don’t even go there. Mario and Zelda mix in one place and one place only, the battlefield of SSB. Maybe we should curse mark you. Where’s Orochimaru?
    Just kidding.

eeh….. i heard a post on here saying somthing about zelda sequels. heres how it goes people. Oot sequel is mm. ww sequel is ph. tp sequel is new game coming out in 2008. loz sequel is aol. i dont think that alttp had a sequel but it may have been la. oos sequel is oracleot, or vice versa. i have no idea about the cdi games, but those suck anyway.

oops. i went too far XP

I doubt the new Wii game is the TP sequel, seeing as it’s going to be something new and revolutionary.

Wii Zelda, it shall have controlls more Wii based than TP, you shall actually swing the sword. The most depth in storyline in a video game ever. Acclaimed greatest game of all time…

Atleast I hope!

I think it is a good thing for PH to be delayed, it will be worth it, plus I can’t even afford TP, PH is for next year.

VIVA ZELDA!

No “la” because that would be LONG “LIVE THE ZELDA,” trust me, I take French.

I heard about the Wii Zelda awhile ago. There’s a rumor going on that this new game will be called the Legend of Zelda: The Final Destiny. It is suppose to take place, don’t get mad at me, after every Zelda game in the timeline. It’ll have a new Link. Here is what I heard so far: A man in a black cloak throws an ancient artifact on a broken table. He uses the artifact to revive the powers of Previous Link’s greatest enemies: Ganon, Vaati, and Majora’s Mask. He absorbs the powers. Meanwhile, Link is walking to Hyrule Castle then the man in the black cloak appears before Link and challenges him. Link loses badly. The man uses his new-found powers to transport Link to a different time-zone. Link must destroy the evils in each time-zone to transport to another time-zone until he can return to his orignal time-zone and face the man for the final showdown! Sounds like a very interesting game. I hope it is true!

M Warrior said:

Sounds like someone deluded hope. I don’t think nintendo would bring back a bunch of old final bosses, put the word Final in the title, or anounce a specific timeline point.They like to keep everything open, and when you put the word final in things, it sounds like the end. I mean when you think about it Final Fantasy XII sounds entirely ridiculous, and Final Destination 3 sounds really dumb. Hey, lets have a game/movie series caled “End of the World” And put four more sequels after it. Say it with me “End of the World 4″

M Warrior said:

Who said anything about old final bosses? It didn’t say anything about Link getting transported to different games. It is just a rumor, you don’t have to believe it. And the “Final” in the title means the ultimate showdown.

Just kidding.

no worries,I dont have chakara anyways :? .

I don’t know if that maters with a curse mark. I think it would just kill you faster.
    BTW any new news on SSBB?