On the Cutting Room Floor

November 26th, 2006 at 2:33 am by The Missing Link

Our first sighting of the new Twilight Princess game was way back in 2004 during E3 week, and boy, doesn’t that seem a long time ago. Can you believe it? We’ve been waiting impatiently for Zelda to finally come out on the GameCube Wii (add GameCube) for 2½ years! There was lots that we knew about the game early on, the early plot about Link as a cowboy… several absolutely beautiful trailers designed to make our mouths water… and that Zelda and Ganondorf were involved somehow.

Having finally saved Hyrule within Twilight Princess, I pretty much have seen everything there is to see (although I still need to go through the collection quests!). I got to thinking, and I realised that there were a few scenes from the earliest trailers that happened to stick out in my memory that I did not remember seeing in the game. And since I am still fanboying over Twilight right now and cannot talk about anything else (and since I’m trying not to make too many spoiler posts on the ‘Blog), I decided to go back to the earliest versions of the Zelda trailers that we saw and see what got omitted from them. After all, since saying what IS in the game is implicitly a spoiler, saying what the game isn’t does spoil anything at all! (Or so I hope!)

To sync up with my talking points, those wanting to follow along with the bouncing ball will find all of the trailers I’m referring to over on The Grand Adventures. Of course, just about ANY Zelda site out there will have them.

So let’s roll back the clock to E3 2004, when it all started. Suffice to say, there is so much in this trailer that, looking back, was merely proof-of-concept footage. Almost none of it made it to the final game as is, and some of it won’t be making an appearance at all. I won’t cover every little detail (because I’m bound to be wrong here and there if I do), but I think you’ll get the general feel of it from this:

For starters, this is a minor nitpick, but you simply won’t find a dead forest. This was included in the trailer because of the dramatic contrast between a very full forest (in the scene just preceding this) and this to show that there are strong lights and darks in the game. But alas, all the forests we see are growing healthily as far as I can see.

This scene almost hurts me to say it’s not in there. This scene was the primary theme in the E3 trailer, really hitting home the “Blades will bleed / Shields will shatter / But as the light fades… / Will the hero rise again?” notion found in that trailer. Unfortunately, there’s no dramatic sunset cutscene where an entire army lines up against our solitary hero. However, make no mistake about it; you will see major horseback combat… and the context will be similar to what you see here and elsewhere in the trailers. (All of which is simply pure awesome.) However, these specific cutscenes do not exist.

We all love Moblins. Well… everyone but Twilight Princess, that is. There are no Moblins in this game. In fact, a few staple types of cannon fodder enemies of the Zelda series do not make a showing. However, new enemies are always cool, and you won’t be disappointed.

When I saw this scene 2½ years ago, I thought… WOW! Heavy forests to do combat in! I look back in Ocarina, and my favourite section of Hyrule Field was the southeast corner… where there were trees. Sadly, this doesn’t exist, but I have to caveat this. There are thick forests to be found in Hyrule, specifically in the opening areas of the game. However, most of the forest is not part of your sandbox area; they’re outside of the bounds of the map where you cannot go. Sure, there are a few smaller, thinner patches of trees, but your world will not be this thick with trees.

With the highlights of May 2004 passed, we now will move forward to the second of trailers… which was unleashed upon the Zelda Horde at the Game Developers’ Conference (GDC) in late 2004.

Fans loved this scene because it brought back something that Wind Waker had not allowed us to do: dive underwater. And it was only natural for us to want it; having an underwater cam and diving ability is awesome cool. However, unlike what you see here, diving is not possible with the green tunic. *cough*

I always thought that this was some sort of giant on the right-hand side of the image, some actual living creature of sorts. After 2 years, I finally realise that it’s just a stupid statue. However, it’s also a statue that I’m fairly certain does not exist. I am almost confident that I know where this scene is in the game, and that statue… not there. (Or if it is there, the statue looks much better.)

Most of the dungeon scenes that were in the earliest trailers of Twilight I’m sure have been modified heavily if not snipped out completely. (The design of the dungeon rooms in the final product—or at least what my feeble memory remembers—looks very different from the squarish rooms found in the trailers.) However, this room frankly does not exist. There’s no point in the game where you have the Ocarina Fire-Temple-like pillars of flame rising out from the floor. There is something similar to this, but it’s in a very different context (i.e., no fire).

Run for your lives! It’s the sewers of the dead! Nope, not really. The physical place of this picture IS in the game. The ability to see in this fashion IS in the game (albeit with different graphics). But all these creepy dead people everywhere? Nope. They’ve changed this scene to look like something else.

I’m going to go out on a limb on this one because I frankly don’t know if this is there or not. However, a fellow webmaster and I agreed that both of us didn’t see this in the game, namely Link getting all wrapped up in spider webbing. Now your mileage may vary on this, so if you find this, let me know, and I’ll give this a strikethrough.

This boss? He’s a no show. Nintendo fired him sometime in the past two years. But don’t worry; they fired him because they found much better talent to cover his role. Trust the TML on this one. You love bosses long time.

This enemy does exist in the game. In fact, you’ve seen him before. But he does not look like this.

And with that, we wrap up 2004, knowing that quite a hefty bit of what Nintendo presented was stripped out and tossed away into the garbage. (There’s probably some interesting things in Nintendo’s garbage, I’d reckon!) So now let’s move forward to the last trailer that has significant deviations from the final product: E3 2005.

This trailer doesn’t have too much that’s different as apparently Nintendo had really solidified the content down by this stage of the game. However, there were a few nuance differences, and this is one of them. The context that surrounds this scene is still intact, but Colin (pictured above) does not crawl through the tunnel in this picture. Link eventually will, but Colin will not.

And last but not least, chalk this picture up as another “this happens but not in this way”. This is really just a graphics update, and you’ve seen the new version of it. In this trailer, Link changed to Wolf Link as if he blended. His face gradually became more furry as a snout grew out. In the new version of it, Link sort of instantly becomes a wolf, but from his legs upwards (or frontwards, in the wolf sense).

And there you have it! Hopefully all your delicious speculation about Twilight Princess didn’t depend upon this. If it did… well, you’ve only got a few days or weeks left until you get to play, so get cracking!

Filed under Twilight Princess, Nintendo

67 Messages from the Gossip Stones about “On the Cutting Room Floor”

Trackbacks & Pingbacks

• Trackback from The Desert Colossus:

Heads Up!

Comments

SwEET!!i’m the first one to post!!-does a little jig-

Man…i read all of this,and i’m in the twilight relam now on my game,and i red this whole thing!!!stupid me!!!-slaps head-
hey TML,how late do you stay up?!?!?it’s like 2 when you posted this,and i only wake up on the weekends @ 6:30!!!(5:50 on weekdays ;) )….so…sorry i asked,but i just wanted to know!

I know the game is the darkest loz so far, but the finished version seems lighter than it was first prezented.

TML WHY… WHY, WHY, WHY DO YOU TORTURE ME LIKE THIS, please stop I cant take it any more, lol.

Aww man, some of these things I don’t mind, but others…

That moblin looked really cool…
That open forest looked awesome
Those ghosts in the sewers could have been pretty interesting…
And that Gohma like spider, granted that I trust you that there’s better bosses, but he would have been a nice mini boss then >.>

Oh well, this does proof that one should learn not to get to hyped about earlier footage, things change.

His wolf transformation better be good, TML. *shakes fist*

I’ll miss the ghosts, though. D:

I would’ve liked the scene with the army to be exactly in there, but as long as it’s in the game in a different scene and context, I’m okay with it.

I’m not too woried about these things, Nintendo probably replaced them (most of them) with better things in the game.

I think the game only ssems ligter at the beginning, but as you progress, it gets much darker than before.

Master Link said:

This is true at some level. The game turns out to be not quite as dark as the trailers implied; however, the game is by no means–dare I say it?–Wind Waker.

The game is difficult, and the game will be sufficiently dark at certain times (frankly, it creeped me out at one point). And it is quite literally the darkest Zelda yet, but no, it is not like Resident Evil 4 or some distinctively dark game.

Stupid Wii-people. How’re your weak little nerdy arms after 30 hours of slashing? Yes, the game has changed. But that’s not new. Remember Wind Waker? Early Wind Waker? With that awesome Ganondorf fight? Yeah. THAT’S change.

Windmill Man said:

That, sir, was a technical demonstration of the Cube’s prowess, and you know it. That wasn’t ever considered to be a part of a game whatsoever. After all, it was shown well before the Cube’s launch.

And as far as your snotty little tone, drop it. Consider this your first strike for violating Rule #4.

Much apologies. If I offended you, it was not my intent. BTW, when did I swear?

im not asking for spoilers at all, im just kinda curious, was anyone else creeped out? :)

Windmill Man said:

Much apologies. If I offended you, it was not my intent. BTW, when did I swear?

Rule #5. Forgive me, but it was early… and math and early don’t go together. X)

S’all good. But my Wii arm is doing just fine, thank ye much. ;)

wow,they even dumped a boss (and I was so looking forward to fighting that one :) ).

The Missing Link said:The game is difficult, and the game will be sufficiently dark at certain times (frankly, it creeped me out at one point).

i know this may sound strange,given that TP is a T rated game,but would it be enough to scare a,oh I dont know,10 year old?

Great Lord Ephraim said:

There’s two reasons this game was pretty much T instead of E. Number one, it takes itself MUCH more seriously than Ocarina and Waker did. The evil in this game really is evil and doesn’t make bones about it. Number two, there are a few scenes that are HONESTLY creepy. And I’m a 26-year-old guy. It’s nothing like horror, but it doesn’t make you step back and wince a pinch.

Would that be the redeads in TP? Because the ones in OoT and WW do freak me out.
And… like, what level of creepiness? Any little hint? So I can prepare for it.
*breathe slow, in…. and out….*

Great Lord Ephraim said:

alright,thanks for the info.unfortunately,that is going to cause me to get scared! some problems as far as getting TP goes.dont exactly want a game thats going to scare my brother.also unfortunatly…that stuff sounds really cool! sounds like the “evil” villian is finally evil! guess ill have to get thinking (about what…ive no idea -_-’ ).

The creepiness primarily results from one specific cutscene somewhere in the game–won’t say exactly where over the public airwaves, but I’ll be more specific if you E-mail me with the question. It’s one of those… Stanley Kubrick moments, very surreal, very just… odd, yet somehow applies to the story in a weird sort of way.

If you prevent him from seeing that, then there really shouldn’t be anything that bad to watch.

alright,looks like ill have to handle a spoiler or two (or more! *screams*).

nah…. I’ll risk the fright compared with the ultra spoilers. *runs away from spoilers*

shadowknight said:

well I would prefer to be shocked/momentarily freaked out,but sadly some things must be done.

Grrrrrrr…I have the game…but no Wii. I wanna play, but all I can do is read the instruction book snd the back of the case…oh well, hopefully I’ll get a Wii someday.

um…why did u get the game and not the wii,also?!?!?!

anyways…..I BEAT TWILIGHT RPINCESS!!!YESS!!!!!(and it only took me 41 hours!!!) -does happy jig-

Darn it, I wanted an army to fight ;_;

Who the *navi* is that guy?

master of windwaker said:

um…why did u get the game and not the wii,also?!?!?!

*claps

picture 2 looks too hard, really
picture 7 looks like the OoT Fire Temple
picture 10 looks like Gohma from OoT
glad they changed :)

Scepia said:

picture 2 looks too hard, really

I was looking forward to the challange ;) .

S’all good. But my Wii arm is doing just fine, thank ye much. ;)

Dont go to Scotland and say you have a Wii arm, they will think you have a small arm, I love the Scottish sense of humour.

*half-scottish* ^^

I’m glad that the spider boss isn’t in the game, because I don’t like spiders XD
I just can’t wait for the game, but I don’t have any choice but wait ^^'’ I live in Europe and I wait for the GCN version because I don’t have money for the Wii and I don’t have money for TP either.. Man ^^'’
Oh and I wanted to ask something, I know it doesn’t really fit here, but I just saw the: ‘16 days until GCN Twilight Princess’ thing. But is this worldwide? I mean, the Wii version release wasn’t worldwide, so it makes sense if the GCN release isn’t worldwide too. But it does makes sense that the release is worldwide because the sign isn’t saying in which country the release is. Well anyway, thank you if someone would help me out ^^

Dark, creepy, and Stanley Kubrick-y (whoever that is). I like those kinds of games.

The Emerald Wind said:

Hm. :? Why did you only buy the game? That greatly confuses me.

Awwwww! I wanted the ghosties! That sadly disappoints me :( . I don’t like spiders either Rhyme. Glad to see he’s gone. They’ve used Gohma way too much . Well, I don’t really know what else to say.

29 days until Christmas, meaning Wii + TP + other stuffs. :D

Josephina said:

The Emerald Wind said:

Hm. :? Why did you only buy the game? That greatly confuses me.

so it dosent get sold out maybe (well,for the buyer.buying a game will just lead to it being sold out) ? if not,it is a start,right :) .

i love being english and living in america :)

I was wondering:would it be possible to import an american Wii? im sure it would be costly,but you could get it faster.and for that really large sum of cash little price (that we wont estimate) you get to play Twilight princess approximately…a couple days sooner than you would have had you kept your money (you’ve got nothin’ better to do with your money anyways,do you :P ? ) !

well,back to subject:I fell sort of bad for that poor spider :) .then again,I cant blame nintendo for dumping something that they used about 6 times already.yeah,come to think of it im glad they dropped the loser :? (spider boses are lame anyways).

Darn !No giant army lining up to attack Link

TML,

I think I know what freaked you out because it freaked me out too!

very,very,very,very,very minor spoiler
Is it the scene before a certain dungeon? (the scene is before the halfway point of the game)

I wish Moblins were in the game! That screenshot looks so cool. Pictures #2 and #4 would be great additions to the game! Can you repeat to me, “Wii Connect24?” :) I hope that Nintendo uses these trailers and adds the extra features… Gohma looks… So awesome! :D I can’t understand why people wouldn’t want Gohma to be in Twilight Princess! :P

[My Wii Broke! :( Im getting a repair soon… I want to play Twilight Princess so badly!!]

I wonder if they only put new stuff in the wii version of twilight princess (or took stuff out depending on how you look at it).its not like anyone has tested the GCN version (they better not have!).well,anyone who would say anything about it (as im sure there are people who test(ed) it who arent allowed to talk about it).aww,that would mean im stuck with that lamo spider!

volvagia99 said:

Great Lord Ephraim said:

assuming the GCN version is actually released, it will be the same as the Wii version. 99% sure. or it could be that the GCN version is better - for even more money for Nintendo :P

what I really love about TP is all the cutscenes and sidequests, instead of “we have completed the Forest Temple, let’s go to the Fire Temple” as in OoTl

(Are these considered spoilers?)Moblins are in the game, there somewhere around. The ghosts are in the game but they have a different role. Redeads are in there but they not as creepy as expected but they did get something new. And this is probably the first Zelda game that doesn’t have Octoroks! It is also missing a lot of other stuff but the new stuff makes up for it.

M Warrior said:
And this is probably the first Zelda game that doesn’t have Octoroks!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :O !!!!!!

According to a map in Official Nintendo Magazine there’s a whole area named after Moblins.

SamTheHappyEmo said:

hmmm…moblintopia :) ? (dont tell me if im right or not though,not that I think I am or anything)

And this is probably the first Zelda game that doesn’t have Octoroks!

Not the best move. Now it doesn’t seem like any Zelda enemy has a perfect attendance. They’ve taken away the most important reason that I liked octoroks.

Ganondorf: Now she is nothing to me

I forgot about that statue/giant/whatever it is (or was o_0 ).what made me think it was a giant is that it looks like its taking link somewhere or leading him in one picture.I was looking forward to finding him (or her ;) ) too.well,i guess im fine as long as they didnt take the gorons out…thats MY job :D ! mwa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! (you may not know it,but I rather dislike gorons).

[TML: THIS TOPIC IS NOT MARKED SPOILERS. DO NOT POST SPOILERS WHATSOEVER!]

SamTheHappyEmo said:

Nope, there isn’t, I checked several times.

Great Lord Ephraim said:

Then you’ll really enjoy a certain part of the game. ;)

In my last post, I quoted that Legendary Frog cartoon to say that the Octoroks don’t mean as much to me anymore. Their absence is NOT stopping me from getting TP

poor octorocks :( there my most favorite enemys,i liked them ever since LoZ(mainly the pink ones). I hope minishes are in it, but dont tell me if they are/aren’t in it ^_^

Im just dreading the return of the Wallmasters because I HATE them so much, the Misery Mire Temple in Links Awakening was my first encounter with them and I will NEVER forget it… those damn things kept grabbing me every time I got near a Treasure Chest or door, lol.

Sorry for the double post but it was a Link to the Past and not Links Awakening, sorry.

Im just dreading the return of the Wallmasters

No wallmasters in TP.

M Warrior said:

SamTheHappyEmo said:

Nope, there isn’t, I checked several times.

Yes, there is. On the map that got a whole page-spread, number 19: Moblin Encampment. Thanks for the mini-spoiler underneath, by the way, though it’s my fault for visiting a Zelda site.

Edge magazine also has a screenshot of them, claiming their design isn’t as screen-stealing as previous games. All in all, I’m pretty sure Moblins are in there.

they used to get me all the time in LOZ.the blue rupees they left were so tempting (and with my young age at the time,how could I resist :P ?).

SamTheHappyEmo said:

They may be called Moblins. (I don’t know; I’ll check my guide tonight.) If they are, they sure as heck don’t look like anything I’ve ever called a Moblin before. (Again, this is subject to a very bad memory.)

Im just dreading the return of the Wallmasters

No wallmasters in TP.

YEA!!!:D

Im just dreading the return of the Wallmasters

No wallmasters in TP.

Hahaha, now im actually a little disapointed… theres no pleasing me, lol.

Im just dreading the return of the Wallmasters

No wallmasters in TP.

Hahaha, now im actually a little disapointed… theres no pleasing me, lol.

trick yourself :P .just tell yourself TMLs lying :) .

Wallmasters were the first thing to actually scare me *navi* silly in a game. Walking along, minding my own busine-AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. *ahem*

Despite the changes, Twilight Princess is still breathtaking. :)

Oh yes:

Windmill Man said:

The Wii-mote doesn’t tire your arms out at all. I play the game anywhere from 3-8 hours at a time. I never get tired. At all.

Well, Ninty broke over 20 years of tradition not adding the Octoroks. As for the Wallmasters, YAAY!

I always thought those boar-riding bridge fighters were Moblins. I think they just changed it ‘cuz the ones before looked too WW-style.

SamTheHappyEmo said:

M Warrior said:

SamTheHappyEmo said:

Nope, there isn’t, I checked several times.

I thought it was a Bokoblin camp…

Great Lord Ephraim said:

trick yourself :P .just tell yourself TMLs lying :) .

The TML would be evil like that.

Is anyone else extremely irritated that the 3-D forest was removed from the game? I was looking forward to this more than any other area in the game. Also, I think the hyrule shown in older videos looked way more realistic than the hyrule in the final game. The final hyrule has more green, but all of the areas are like sub areas. What happened to just being able to walk into the forest from the main overworld without the screen fading into and then back from black? I don’t feel like nintendo used these two years to make the same game. I feel like they made a zelda game in a years time and then basically started over on a new one. I want to see the original game, before all of the old areas were removed.

checkmate10 said:

im sure they had a reason to remove what they did.I do think that they waisted developing time when they switched it to the wii though.

you know, forests are my favorite habitats, so it must suck not to have so much forest as i thought there would be. On another note, i thought i would enjoy those ghosts in the sewers, but since they arent in the game… uh…… WWWAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!