Iwata Interviews…

October 31st, 2006 at 1:13 pm by Archaic Sage

On the UK Wii site, there is an interview with the creators of Zelda, and it’s been translated into full English. It’s an awesome read as it really puts a few things into perspective for us.

Iwata interviews some of his fellow Zelda staff members and it makes for good reading. Although I cannot guarantee the accuracy of the translation as NoE do want to localise this for the Western Audience, I would say that it is pretty reliable as they are a Nintendo establishment.

Iwata asks a few brilliant questions, and in some cases the interview feels more like the ramblings between friends than a serious ground breaking interview. Yet, there are a few bits of information that have been revealed to us. It’s nothing ground breaking, but it still shows that the creators really do care about the game, and Miyamoto still has a very large influence indeed. A few choice quotes are below

In other words, what the player has just done will be useful to them, but by itself it isn’t enough to solve the next puzzle. So you feel that making the player think about that extra step is what makes a Zelda game?

Nothing at all. There is no waste in terms of time or data. I learned a lot from that and tried very hard to reach that level of quality during development, but there were a lot of questions for which I wasn’t able to find answers. For example, I wasn’t able to find satisfactory answers to questions such as whether or not it’s still necessary to allow the player to cut the grass in Zelda games.

Apart from what everyone else has said, I would say that it’s the realism of the game world. In other words, whether or not the player will be able to enjoy the story without feeling that it is unnatural. This is something that Miyamoto-san mentions frequently, but I don’t mean the kind of realism where each individual strand of hair is accurately depicted, but rather the fact that a shop owner is not likely to give a hearty welcome to a child that comes into their shop in the middle of the night.

That’s right! (laughs) But things can get out of hand if you overdo it. On the other hand, if we don’t put enough of these things in the game, Miyamoto-san will always notice it and send an e-mail saying something like: “I went to all the trouble of trying this in the game and I was sad because I didn’t get a new reaction from any of the characters in the game.” I called these his “sob story e-mails”.

Read the article in full here .

Source: Nintendo Europe

Filed under Twilight Princess, News, Nintendo

18 Messages from the Gossip Stones about “Iwata Interviews…”

Comments

hmm…interesting…it-WAIT! no cutting the grass!?! thats what makes zelda zelda :D .

Yaay for Miyamoto!!! Yaaay for Zelda!!!

Good. Realism is good. Zelda is good. Nintendo is good. Video games are good. The world is good. I love you all so much…

Nice Article.

Nice Article.

Great Lord Ephraim said:

ditto

I always knew that the idea for cutting the grass came from the mind of Shigeru Miyamoto, this is the guy who got the idea for Pimin by working in his garden after all, lol.

Hmm. I can read the full article where? If that was a link there at the bottom, well… it’s broken, so much as uh, non-existant.

You can read it all here: http://ms.nintendo-europe.com/wii/?site=v1_01.html&l=enGB

i don’t care what the *NAVI* he says,but just that i get the twilight princess the world wants(and the guide,too. =])!!!!!!!!!

• 11. Sage says:

Windmill Man said:

*slowly backs away* Could someone please get a strait jacket for this guy?

Great article, by the way. Twilight Princess is gonna ROCK. X3 But does this mean the end of braking into random peoples houses, smashing all thier pottery, stealing thier life savings and leaving without anyone noticing? D:

On a completely unrealated note, Happy Halloween!

Sage said:

Windmill Man said:

*slowly backs away* Could someone please get a strait jacket for this guy?

On a completely unrealated note, Happy Halloween!

I hope not. I want to cut the grass. It’s the only time when lawn mowing is fun. When you get fifty rupees per lawn.

The article said:
    …but I don’t mean the kind of realism where each individual strand of hair is accurately depicted, but rather the fact that a shop owner is not likely to give a hearty welcome to a child that comes into their shop in the middle of the night.

That statement reminds me of the entire Majora’s Mask game, where you would get different responses from characters depending on where they are, what the weather was like, and what time of day it is. That is one of the things that I loved so much about the game, the variety of reactions you could get out of people was placed entirely in your hands. It looks like they will be taking that idea and expanding upon it for Twilight Princess. Awesome.

Halan said:

The article said:

I agree entirely, Halan-san. it was cool, i would like to be able to build relationships with people too. Not too deep, like, a shop owner acting more friendly or familiar the more you visit.

Halan said:

The article said:

Or rather: a shop owner who acts friendly towards you when you first visit, but becomes more gossipy and backstabbing to other customers as you know each other more!

That would be good to SamTheHappyEmo-san. Perhaps it could be influenced by what and how much you buy.

Sage said:

Windmill Man said:

*slowly backs away* Could someone please get a strait jacket for this guy?

On a completely unrealated note, Happy Halloween!

Well, it would be more ninja style, that would be cool….
    Sorta like the WW, sneaking into the bomb shop.

I like Zelda my fav. was Majoras mask i want to see the acient makers of the mask>_