Wiimote Controllers Aren’t Toys

October 23rd, 2006 at 2:26 am by The Missing Link

With the launch of Wii imminent, I know that, like myself, many of you are salivating as you anticipate the new system. Whether you have your Wii pre-ordered or not, I reckon that you’re all just waiting to try out the three-dee-gyro-uber-scopic-coolio-awesome-thingy Wiimote controller, yes? Thought so. I’m excited, too. The world of gaming will truly never be the same. And that excitement is so much that it keeps me awake at night. (Not really, but it sounds good to brag about my nerdiness like that.)

Be that as it may, I believe it is absolutely critical to provide you with this very important warning and advice that you should know prior to owning your very own Wii. Consider it a public service announcement if you will: Wiimote controllers aren’t toys. They are complex, sensitive devices used as input mechanisms for a video game console, and that garbledygook means that you need to treat this device with the utmost respect when you use it. After all, since this is device is capable of near total character immersion in gaming, the consequences to the characters you pose as in games are more dire than ever before.

Consider this very real and possible scenario:

Be kind to your Link; don’t abuse your Wiimote control power. Treat your Wiimote with respect.

Filed under Twilight Princess, Fanstuff, Humor, Wind Waker

43 Messages from the Gossip Stones about “Wiimote Controllers Aren’t Toys”

Comments

that video is awesome. lol.
    Dan, i dont’ know who you are, but you rule.

Wow, that’s a pretty accurate recreation of the terrain and character models used in the game. I figured the whole time that this video had been made as an official ad-type thing by Nintendo. X) Maybe they should hire this Dan guy. ;)

That was great! Definetly gave me my Monday Morning Motivation!

That was very well done. And it is also a very accurate representation of what many Zelda players will be going through, including me.

“No no, don’t spin! Jab at it! JAB! Swing the sword you ninny! Aw no, what is going on?!”

That was cool. But don’t worry TML I won’t abuse my power when I have it. I do, however, pledge to injure at least one cucco throughout the course of my Wii Zelda Gaming.

Josephina said:

That was great! Definetly gave me my Monday Morning Motivation!

Ditto.

Sory for double posting but this may interest/disgust many of you.
    I don’t think it’ll do in the Wii though. It’s too expensive.

Oh man that was great, with TML you always get a good laugh.

Nice post TML :D .

That cracked me up!!! Thanks, that really made my day. I wonder if I will be that bad at controlling as she was. *grins*

I laughed so hard that my whole family came over, and then I watched it again, and they all cracked up. Amazing. We need some more videos like this online (although if this really took him a month, I can understand why we don’t). Thanks for the laugh, TML!

I like that I will not the Wiimote

Dude. Cool, but don’t do that. I’ve got dialup. Stuff like that slows down my modem.

Thanks TML. I seriously needed the laughs.

I wish that kind of stuff really happened in WW…but I’ll make it happen in TP. Bwuahahahaha!

I just saw that video a few days ago. Glad it made it over to ZeldaBlog!

It also gives you the main reason that you must both love and dislike your little sister at the same time…

Dan is cool. Thanks for that video. It just increased my inspiration for the Wii by 150%. Thanks Dan!!!

…How did you make that!?

Haven’t you been reading… Anything? THAT WASN’T HIM!

It brings up a question, though. How will the people on the other end of your Wii-mote feel?

Mine’s Broken…:-(
    It doesn’t work. The sound keeps on overlapping at different parts and It says its done when its halfway through.

man that was sick! do it again! *watches video again for 1182th time* hehehehehe. man, thats an awesome ride. Nintendo should really add that capability to the wiimote.

That is awesome, I wish the Wiimote had that kind of power but it only has a quarter of the power in that video. It is funny in that video, but the heads are bigger than the true WW characters heads.

M Warrior said:

You try doing something like that, punk. I thought it was awesome. I can’t wait to make link go careening into a tree! LOL.

Who you calling a punk, I wasn’t insulting the video! And I don’t know how to make videos, much less a sprite movie. And I was saying I wish the Wiimote had that kind of power.

Umm, I’m not seeing the video? What’s up with that? I think it’s my computer, but that still sucks.

M Warrior said:

im sure he was joking.

the video must have taken a long time to make though (a month was it? ).ofcoarse I cant say I relate to the beggining of the article :P .as a matter of fact,the only way I can see myself really wanting the wii is if…nintendo…gets the rights to FF and releases FF X-3! *screams* . but that wont happen…I hope :? .

M Warrior said:

I was joking. But you did seem like you were insulting the head sizes. Sorry if I offended you.

Great Lord Ephraim said:

Light Link 007 said:You’re gonna miss out on a lot of great games. Like the Wii-only Zelda that’s supposedly in production.

well,I have to look at the price of the unit and what the unit has to offer.right now it dosent seem worth it.ill wait until theres a price drop,by then there should be a nice selection of games.the only thing im a bit unhappy about not getting is FF X-3! fire emblem,but if its anything like the last one…well,lets just say I can wait :P .

Great Lord Ephraim said:

the only way i would be interested in the wii is if they remade and translated all the japenese FE’s starting from the 1st Marth one to FE 5, i have all the english FEs and the Japanese one Fuuin no Tsurugi (FE6)

So funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

M Warrior said:

Great Lord Ephraim said:

And don’t forget games like twilight princess, redsteel, resident evil only wii and so much more. Plus the wii is the cheapest of the next-gen consoles and probaly the most innovative. It’s definitly worth every rupee….er..I mean penny.

Excite Truck, Elebits, and Rayman look very good too… not to mention MP:3, Heroes, SSBB, and Mario Galaxy which come next year.

Pliskin said:

TP is coming for GCN though (someday) and I have little interest in the other series you named.also ive said this before,i dont compare prices so it doesnt matter which price is higher or lower.

Legend of Link said:

the ones coming next year dont bother me,as the Wii will most likely have had a price drop.cant say ive ever heard of the others though :? .

another reason I dont want the wii is that I highly doubt I could control the wiimote better than in the video I would like the controller.

btw TML,this is off subject,but is there a reason the blog wont load good for me? I keep getting half of whats really there.

Legend of Link said:

I dunno about Elebits. It seems too…gimicky, something you’d have intrest in for five minutes, then get bored with it.

By the way, what does it mean when it says “your comment is awaiting moderation”? I’m still pretty new here, so it would be great if someone could explain that to me.

Prophet of Winds said:

I’ve never had that happen to me before. Maybe it’s something relatively new? But I would assume it goes through a process to make sure its not too long or there isn’t any crap on it.

Crap as in viruses and broken links and junk like that.

I didn’t do any of that stuff, but its a bit of a long comment, so… I don’t know. I’m just glad I haven’t broken some obscurely-known rule that I had no idea about.

Josephina said:

Prophet of Winds said:

I ain’t new. It means that you tripped the spam/bad language/innapropriate discussion filter so it sent it to TML for moderation.

What a good person. Bravo!

It would make a great ASSA. Wii-Motes and spam filters.

Prophet of Winds said:

Sorry Prophet, I wasn’t trying to blame you for anything. I just thought it might have been a manditorial authorization of some sort for all posts, but…

I guess I was wrong. Didn’t mean anything against you.

Great Lord Ephraim said:

It might be the server. I know I had problems accessing the site from my home computer when I hosted it at home. (Don’t ask why; I’m the one it should have worked for best…) Turns out the router was stupid. The new server is probably not designed to handle such long PHP scripting times and eventually stops after it only gets through so much of the page.

When I get to my new apartment, I’ll yank back control of the ‘Blog, and hopefully that will fix everything. However, there’s not much I can do until that time.

i couldnt stop laughing about the video

xD that was funny. I saw it on the hylia a few days ago. (though I think you guys posted it first)

MOREEEE WHOEVER MADE THIS! MORE! :P