The First Annual Bloggiversary!

October 3rd, 2006 at 2:32 am by The Missing Link

Huzzah! It’s time to unveil the news post that has taken an entire year to make. Drumroll please… ZeldaBlog is officially one year old! (Alright, alright, yes I’m aware of the fact that we really opened on October 1. Give me a break; I have excuses, and they’re good too!) Needless to say, I’m glad that we’ve made it this far… and best yet, I’m glad that we’ve been continuing to get more and more readers as each month passes. So I owe a lot of thanks to all of you for making this happen.

I wanted to do something really special for ZeldaBlog for it’s bloggiversary. That special something was going to be a slight change of layout—that is, a change of setting from ye olde Kakariko house to some new and exciting locale in the Link to the Past environment. Sadly, I didn’t get that done ahead of time (again, valid excuses!); however, I still intend to get that done, although the date on its completion is still unknown. Instead, however, I felt that doing a “Year in Review” type segment would be more appropriate, but instead of using my “blogger voice” to do so (as I am prone to do), I wanted to shed away for this post what you know as The Missing Link and be a bit more personal and share a bit of my inner monologue with you all.

Some of you might remember that the ‘Blog here was actually created for a specific reason. (It turned out to be, to my surprise, a rather controversial reason, but, alas, so goes the story.) I was dismayed by the sheer competition (and outright theft) going on within the Zelda community and wanted to find a way to change that. I wanted webmasters to be able to celebrate the differences between our assorted sites so that we could come together and work with one another to make the community a better place. The goal was something that I knew would be difficult if not impossible to achieve with just ZeldaBlog alone, but I figure that it’s always better to aim too high and miss than to aim too low and hit the target.

This past year, I pleased to say, was a much better year for our community in my opinion. We didn’t lose all that many websites (not our doing), what little drama there was got quenched fairly quickly (again, not our doing), and webmasters from several sites came here to ZeldaBlog to share their experiences with others (okay, so that one is our “fault”). While ZeldaBlog still has not reached the lofty goal I set for it, where the ‘Blog serves as a nexus point between all the other websites out there, I feel as if we have done something significant, something unique, something that I do not believe has happened in the entire history of the Zelda community: We created a project that, for a long-term basis, has had the constant cooperation of many webmasters across the community, with readers pooled from several websites all together in one place.

And I’m happy with that. I feel, truly, that that’s as good a start as any to this experiment of mine. So I want to give a big special thank you to the webmasters that have made this happen; I am utterly amazed at how far we have managed to come.

As a random aside, when I came up with the idea for ZeldaBlog, I chose October 1, 2005 to be the launch date of the site because I wanted it to get out a little ahead of Twilight Princess. This way, I felt, we’d be able to get a budding discussion rather quickly over all the Twilight news that we’d be getting from the Nintendo RP Machine. One year (and two days) later, here we are… still waiting… patiently… patiently… so very patiently. Que será será…)

As far as what did happen over the course of the year, we’ve been both awestruck by Nintendo’s brilliant strategy as well as taken back over their various missteps. (I told you all; you all would get over the name Wii. Trust the TML, for he is good.) We’ve gone through dry spots of news, and we’ve gone through a virtual buffet of updates. Some predictions have been shown true, while much speculation has been shown to be lots of fluff. Nintendo, despite having been so secretive, has actually been in flux quite a bit this year as slowly we salivated, waiting for the next morsel of information to be flung into our cage. Nintendo has managed to move from third place in the current-gen market to the pole position for this the next-gen race, and it will be very interesting to see how that turns out. I, for one, will be intrigued just to see how the 360, the PS3, and the Wii will fare come November. The future is absolutely unknown.

Speaking of the future, I do have one announcement to make. This actually is somewhat out of character for me to be so candid to you on the ‘Blog; I’m quite used to hiding behind my Internet moniker and simply relaying whatever Zelda thoughts I have been recently contemplating, but I wanted (and needed) to share with you some “late, breaking news”…

I have been offered a job within the videogame industry to help make games, and it is my intention to accept this offer. (This, actually, is the reason my post is late; I was in some secret, undisclosed location interviewing for this position, and I heard back this afternoon the good news.) Personally, I do not believe in coincidence, so the fact that this announcement is happening so close to the blog’s bloggiversary… well, I think it’s absolutely curious.

I’m not going to say who I’m working for, but no, it is not Nintendo of America. No, it is not NCL (Nintendo of Japan). No, it’s not Nintendo of anything. (As such, there will be no conflicts of interest in me talking about Zelda here at the ‘Blog, so no worries! I have absolutely no plans to stop blogging anytime soon!) I’m also not going to say to where in the country I’ll be moving either, but I will have to move from my command station in New Hyrule, Ohio. Since my home server (which runs that which you are reading) is going to have to take a small trip, I’m going to be transitioning ZeldaBlog over to the Zelda Legends server within the next few weeks. (Thanks Khuffie!) Sometime between then and now, there’ll be a small interruption as I physically move the ‘Blog, but I’ll try to give you a heads up as to when that will be ahead of time.

But what I do want to say about this job is that it has been a dream of mine ever since I played A Link to the Past to work in the videogame industry making games. I actually for a long time never thought that the dream would come true, but the hard work I have done (no, not with ZeldaBlog—it’s the work in that place you call “the Real World”) has allowed me this opportunity to fill my dream. It may sound sort of tacky for me to end the post on some sappy moral, but I think it’s a statement that needs said regardless. If you have a dream to one day get into this videogame business thing, I will admit that it’s not going to be a walk in the park, but don’t give up. It can happen; granted, you may have to work quite a bit to make it happen, but it can always happen.

So happy Bloggiversary, ZeldaBlog, and here’s hopefully to many more. (No, we are not going to give the ‘Blog spankings. You sickos.)

Filed under Community, Announcements

Follow This Entry | Read Other Posts by The Missing Link

60 Messages from the Gossip Stones about “The First Annual Bloggiversary!”

Comments

• 1. jrz says:

yeah happy bloggiversairy blogfest hallowblogeen april blog happy bloggday bloghoundday

I have to give a big congrulations to TML, Darth Citrus, Archaic Sage and all the Webmasters and ZeldaBlog members. This website, in my opinion, has fulfilled at least part of the mission that TML set out to accomplish: to bring the community together. I have seen more cooperation and understanding among Zelda sites since the Blogs founding, and I must say that I am proud to be a member of this community.

To TML: EXTRA LARGE congratulations on getting the job. You are now in one of my two main goals in life, the other one being a little more personal to me. Rock on!

I’m glad that TML gave me the opportunity to be a part of this project, and although in recent times I’ve been lagging behind in the article writing department, I’m glad that I’ve never been ‘fired’ from my position!

Expect a lovely piece about ZeldaBlog on Harkinian this month, when I finally manage to put it up!

Happy Birthday ZB!

Congratulations!!
    And thanks a lot, this site is one of the few I visit regularly, not being an incredibly avid internet surfer (I prefer real waves!).
    Keep up the good work!!
    Wooo Yea!

*fire works go off, spelling out HAPPY BIRTHDAY ZELDABLOG*
    This place is great! I’m going to miss hearing from TML, I needed someone t ospam every now and then (kidding, just a joke) so best wishes and prayers that you do your best, TML, and best wishes to ZeldaBlog, let’s go on for another year.

*fire works go off, spelling out HAPPY BIRTHDAY ZELDABLOG*

Hey hey now. I’m not leaving ZeldaBlog! (At least not permanently.) There will be a week or three where, yes, I won’t have the Internet, but I’m not going to be gone forever. ;)

Congrats TML! HAPPY ANNIVERSARY ZELDABLOG!

Wow only a year? Oh well, Happy Birthday! 2 days late. Congrats on the job offer.

Honestly with all people here I’d thought it’d been around longer.

It felt like yesterday it opened! Happy bloggiversary!

Screee!
    Happy birthday Zelda Blog! ^^ This is like, my favorite zelda website

Honestly with all people here I’d thought it’d been around longer.

I thought so too! Anyway,

HAPPY BLOGGIVERSARY!!!!!!!!!!
    It’s been a great about…I think half a year!!! I have to say, it’s a really great site! And it looks like you’ve gathered up a lot of people!

I remember the time of the Wii, in fact, I think Wii all remember! ;) But, as always:

Trust the TML, for he is good.

Amen!

Whooo Hoooo!!!!! I’m Glad to be a part of this Great Bloggification!!! We are so great! We are so great! G-R-E-T,…i mean, G-R-E-A-T….DOPE!!!

TML, thank you for ZeldaBlog, and all the work you do within the Zelda community. I don’t often post, as I prefer to just read the articles, but I’ve been enjoying ZeldaBlog ever since it opened a year ago. Here’s to another year, and here’s hoping that by this time next year, we’ve played and completed the Twilight Princess. (As I’m sure we will have, but if you remember, a year ago, we thought that the game was mere months away!)

And I am quite interested indeed in hearing more specifics about this position in the game industry that you have aquired. It’s very encouraging to hear sucess stories such as yours. I am personally hoping to land a position in video game journalism in the near future.

So I guess congratulations is the appropriate thing to say right now!

You’ve been OFFERED a job in videogames? ARGH! That makes me sick! I’m sending CVs everywhere and I get nothing! I’m jealous!

Awsome!! Great job TML! *I sing the happy birthday song to Zeldablog in a very off key voice*
    Keep it going, Zeldablog!

Happy Birthday Zeldablog and congratulations to you TML and creating a place where all Zelda fans regardless of nationality can come together and just enjoy hearing and communicating with people who have the same love, admiration and interests that we all have. Some of the priase should go to us fans for makeing the Zeldablog the unmitigated success that it is so three cheers for us, lol.

BTW congratulations on your new job TML and when you finally quit your current job why dont you flip off all the people you dont like haha, but if I find out that this Computer Game compamy you are going to work for is either EA, Microsoft or SONY I will personally lead a torch bearing mob (think Resident Evil 4 but without the parasites), hunt you down and crucify you… you have been warned @[email protected]

• 17. Vaa says:

I didn’t realize it had already been a year!

Congrats!

WAIT! *turns into Dr. H. Hero* Dr. R-UK, if TML is in another company other than Nintendo, then you will have yourself a test subject. *lightning strikes, and Ganondorf’s theme plays; everything returns to normal, and Dr. H. Hero turns back to HH*

*fire works go off, spelling out HAPPY BIRTHDAY ZELDABLOG*

Ah, I mean, without you around as much as you are now, I would spam a lot less. Don’t ask ^_^ *sticks a firework down Robert’s pants* Can’t wait for the next year of ASSA, Whose Blog?, and other stuff. TML, talk about who were your best friends, your worst enemies, and those that really helped make this place better. I think this place has fulfilled what it was designed for, since no wars have broken out (yet) not too mny problems, and you’ve even inspired some new webmasters.

so your going to be in the gaming industry,huh? sounds pretty cool.so its not nintendo your working for,you dont like sony,and you work with computers right? ide guess its microsoft then :P .

anyways it seems like its been a bit longer since zeldablog opened (and not the 2 day difference either :/ ).looks like the sites doing good though.

happy happy yay yay zeldablog is liek teh awesomes and i is liek be to visit every day!!!!!!!!111111one

But seriously, congratulations. Same to the game thing. My website is almost up,(I just need some server space and a little more HTML practice)and after I gain some power over the Internets, I’ve got a great idea for a game. I mean, GREAT. A friend in the “Biz” would be nice.

YAY! Happy birthday!

Congratulations on the job offer. I’m happy for you!

And Iwill follow him. Though I’m more of a flaying alive guy than crucifying.
    Anyhow, Someones gonna have to pull double duty to fill in for TML. Till he has more time.

Vaa said:

I didn’t realize it had already been a year!

Congrats!

This is so wierd. I have got on Zelda Blog since I first heard it advertised on THE GRAND ADVENTURES. I can’t belive its already been a year! Thanks TML for a great community for all us Zelda Freaks.

Wow, this year’s gone by fast. O_O Here’s to another one, then! *holds up a glass of Chateau Romani* May the Triforce be with you, TML and everyone else! :D

Congratulations, TML, and happy anniversary to ZeldaBlog!!

Awesome! Happy Birthday, ZeldaBlog, and Congrats TML! A whole year, wow.
    I think you have done something to unite the community. We have people from lots o sites here, and I think the blog has done a great job of getting us to work together and swap ideas. This blog is a great asset to the zelda community. I go here to think, see the latest updates, and of course, laugh at the new metafictions, ASSA and Whose blog?’s. At the very least, we had a great time. ;)

I’ll certainly help with that, if need be. I’ll bring the hydrochloric acid filled water baloons! :3

Oh my gosh, congratulations on getting the job!!! I’m sure you’ll do a great job!

And it’s been a great year for the ‘blog! I look forward to another!

Well, wierd I wanted to develop video games since I first played alttp too.0_o

HAPPY BLOGAVERSERY(sp?)
    Grats on getting the job, is the company someone we would know, like Sega(lol) or just a low profile thing?

Hey low-profile made my favorite games! Metal Arms:Glitch in the System forever!

Bboy94 said:

Well, wierd I wanted to develop video games since I first played alttp too.0_o

HAPPY BLOGAVERSERY(sp?)

Yeah well I would say I hope this year goes as fast but that would be a lie. I want it to last long. So I get more Wii time.

I can’t believe I only found out about ZeldaBlog a month ago. Happy Bloggiversary!

Congratulations on the job offer. Maybe you’ll finally be able to make your evil Dungeon #20. If not, well, I’m sure you’ll find another way to have us all throwing our controllers at our TVs in a fit of frustation and rage.

Wow, funny how time passes unnoticably.

A Happy ‘Bloggiversary to ZeldaBlog, with its intentions so right, its entertainment so joyous, and its influence so undeniable! May the new year bring even more greatness to the site, coming even closer to fulfilling its destiny of becoming a heroic legend amongst the Zelda Community.

A special Thanks to the contributors of the site for some of the most interesting, most thought-provoking, and enjoyable readings in the past year. May you all to continue the great work, providing even stronger unity and even more laughs and thoughts.

And finally, a big Congratulations to The Missing Link, having accomplished his goal and getting the chance to live his dream, as deservingly so. May this opportunity bring you the passion which you felt for it and set you up for enormous success.

So, my fellow Bloggers, let the new year begin, and let us trust TML’s advice, for he is good (unless he either leaves the ‘Blog or sends that *Naving* Wallet Monster upon ye…but I’m sure he’d NEVER do either of those terrible things…).

Volcan said:

Dungeon #20, with eighteen floors (nine floors, nine basements) boy that would be a satisfying dungeon. Just add Shadow Link as a sub-boss, and Dark Link as the boss.

• 33. EA says:

Congrats, congrats, congrats!

Congratulations ZeldaBlog! I remember when I decided to come here when TML stopped updating The Grand Adventures around May. Happy Bloggiversary!

yeah! bloggiversray this site just keeps getting better!

Anyone want some Chocolate Chateau Romani? I got a vat of the stuff behind me. Just grabs a cup, vase, bottle, anything you want to drink out of, I’ll pour ya some CCR. TML, what’s the gift for the first bloggiversary?

Hyrulian Hero said:

Can I just fill a beer-keg and take some home?

this really was made very good.methinks i’ll have the beer keg,too.

CONGRATS 2 EVERYONE WHO MADE THIS!!!!!!!

Hyrulian Hero said:

I’ll take some, this calls for a celebration!

TML said:

You didn’t say anything of ‘Blog Pinatas. *Puts Robert in a Barney the Dinosaur suit, fills it up with candy, then ties a rope and hoists Robert into the air* And we are using Megaton Hammers to bust it open :D

Just curious, what would our Second Bloggiversary would be like? I bet it would be cooler than this one, since there will be more people. Hopefully, by then, TML will be a much happier man, with a job in videogaming (at last) and new friends to make over the period of the year. I also wonder what the new ALttP layout that TML will use. I bet it would be cool.

TML said:

I vote a dungeon scheme for next year.

Hyrulian Hero said:

No thanks, I dont want to end up Like Gorman. They should bring the Cheateau Romani back in Twilight Princess, that would be sweet.

Hyrulian Hero said:

It would be. How do you get a membershp for the bar in MM? I forget.

You have to destroy the boulder in front of the Farm on the first day then agree with the girl to protect the farm from ghosts at night, half way through the next day you can hitch a ride on the cart on the way to town but it is attacked on the way, defend the milk and if you do well enough you get a mask that will allow you entry into the Bar.

Hey TML, will we still have Sam the Cucco around, after the new layout is done and all? I also had the idea of the use of a Dark World Cucco for Halloween, wouldn’t that be a good idea? You know, guys, I figure that ZeldaBlog’s true birthday is the day TML got the page to use as the website, and got older as TML added more stuff, like HTML, CSS, and whatever this website has, and became open to the public when it was finished. The Bloggiversary is the day the ‘Blog was opened to the public for the first time.

Bboy94 said:

Hyrulian Hero said:

I’ll take some, this calls for a celebration!

Count me in! *sticks a little umbrella in her drink*

Yeah! Except it’d have to be Chateau Lon Lon. ;3

Hey, TML, since its your dream to work in the gaming industry, just remember this, http://despair.com/gettowork.html

I’ll have some Cholcate Chaeteu Romani! *Gets three barrel fulls and takes it home* Yum!

M Warrior said:

Because of M Warrior, we are now out of service. And there’s a ban on Chateau Romani outside of the Milk Bar.

Any ways, TML, is there a way where you can possibly give us the tinniest hint of what your new job is? Sony, Microsoft, anything? Just give us a subliminal message, in the form of who you thank, you you think are nuts, ect., PLEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAASE?

We should really party down!
    Zeldablogs pretty good, trust…it will have a lot of aniversarys to come, but since first we shall laugh and party pretty dern hard!HAPPY B-DAY Zelda blog! May ours be better than beyonces since u “stole B-day from her” lol!

M Warrior said:

What he said.

Hyrulian Hero said:

Under no circumstances am I telling you who I’m working for. I’m also not going to tell you where, although diligent fans may one day figure that out.

As far as WHAT the job is, I can say that: I’ll be making tools such as game editors to be used by the internal artist department to create actual game content.

Oh, how luck is TML! I’d love to get a shot at doing artwork for videogames…
    *sigh* some dreams are not meant to be, however….

Well, I got something out T_T… If you work hard enough, maybe you can add an art style to a future game, but just maybe. Will you tell us in the future then? Or do we have to find that out like we had to do when you first made ZeldaBlog? Does any other Zelda fan know about your little secret?

Hyrulian Hero said:

Will you tell us in the future then?

The only way you’re going to find out who I work for is if I change companies again and get put into a conflict of interest between my employment and the blog (read: I’m working for Nintendo in some capacity), which would cause ZeldaBlog to shut down.

This is currently not the case. As such, that’s all your finding out.

End of story. I’m not discussing this further.

M Warrior said:

He wont dare say it, he knows that im waiting with my torch bearing mob tobegin the TML hunt if he announces that hes working for either EA, SONY or Microsoft, lol.

Hyrulian Hero said:

Will you tell us in the future then?

This is currently not the case. As such, that’s all your finding out.

End of story. I’m not discussing this further.

He is working for a company that helps produce art stuff for video game companies such as Nintendo!!! Hahahahahah I think I’ve figured it out.

Hey where is my chocolate chateau romani!

• 58. TSA says:

Most video game companies have issues with employees on the internet outside the company. I know I’ve done a very good job concealing who I work for (it is a game company, too), and my position puts me right in the cross fire of internet folk and consumers/press. Kinda fun to role play in your job to keep your true identity on the internet a secret :) Congrats on the new job, though, I knew you weren’t pleased with the previous one. Enjoy the new one!

Good luck to you, TML, no matter where you’re working! Let’s hope for another great year for ZeldaBlog.