Deciphering the Mystery of the Sleeping Princess

September 13th, 2006 at 1:24 am by thabto

Recently, the popular Zelda fan site, Zelda Legends, began once more providing articles on the subject that has made their corner of the internet so popular; articles that dealt with what is arguably the most debated subject in the known Zelda-verse: that of the games’ storyline. Being a fan of Zelda Legends’ past storyline articles, and a bit of a storyline junkie myself, I eagerly read what the new author, a young man named Arturo, had to offer. His first task, revisiting the tale of the Sleeping Princess, mentioned only in the second NES console game, Zelda II: The Adventure of Link. In the article, Arturo came to a rough timeline and placement within that timeline of just when the Sleeping Princess was initially cursed. That timeline being: ALttP > OoS/A = (The Sleeping Princess) = TMC > FS > FSA. To come to this conclusion he based his theory upon one very simple principle: that the dying King mentioned in the fable and the writer of the scroll outlining what must be done in order to achieve the Triforce of Courage are in fact one in the same.

It’s a rather bold and not entirely unfounded conclusion. There is plenty of information to support such a statement. However, I ask the question: are the facts Arturo provides in his article enough or are there more beneath the veil not mentioned in his findings which contradict this line of thinking? With that in mind I will attempt to take on the task of not only providing an identity to the writer of the secret scroll but also create a logical, and sound, timeline to place the fable of the Sleeping Princess, that most mysterious of all Hyrule’s legends. I do this not to undermine any of the hard work Arturo over at Zelda Legends has done but in the hopes of providing a more complete picture regarding this particular issue so as to encourage healthy debate amongst all those who love the series Zelda.

The full article can be found here over at the Legends Alliance forums.

Filed under Timeline, Editorials, Adventure of Link

Follow This Entry | Read Other Posts by thabto

10 Messages from the Gossip Stones about “Deciphering the Mystery of the Sleeping Princess”

Comments

Hmm… another one of those great theories…

[TML: No one cares if you’re the first post or not.]

Something else to add to the timeline, and something interesting to think about, if it’s part of my timeline. I think that the Zelda from LoZ just fell into a deep sleep, not a second princess, for the second princess would confirm the existence of a split in the timeline, only to fuse once again at the end, like a broken zipper. Still, good think, and good article.

Whenever I try and figure these timelines out I always end up reaching for the aspirin ^^, I dont think we will ever get a straight answer on this and no matter what theory people come up with others will always disagree.

Agreed. I’ll just move on to the other two posts. I hate when that happens. Three articles at once.

• 5. TSA says:

Well, Nintendo’s slowly rebuilding some form of a concrete timeline. They’ve got Ocarina of Time first, then Majora’s Mask. Then, decades alter, Twilight Princess takes place. Then, hundreds of years later, The Wind Waker takes place. A few months after The Wind Waker, Phantom Hourglass takes place. The other games take place before or after these five titles. Least that’s about the only official thing we’ve got, everything else is a mess.

• 6. TSA says:

As for the Sleep Princess, let’s just say I have a hunch that game, and the original Zelda, are probably going to get updates somtime in the future…and that Sleeping Zelda deal is tentative.

(Sorry for double post, accidentally hit tab and was pressing to space).

TSA said:

Yeah, I think they’re trying to come out with games that will complete the timeline as opposed to making a bigger mess.

nintendos got a long time to go before they fix there little mess :) .it is useful information regarding the time line theorys though.

Great Lord Ephraim said:

Unless they keep up with the big games, like TP, so they’ll fix up the big mess.

Hyrulian Hero said:

Great Lord Ephraim said:

true.however,think about how long TP took,or rather how long its taking.about 10000 years!!! 2 years (from when it was first anounced),plus they cant really give massive info out in one game.so I figure every 4 years we’ll get some informaton :D .