Smash Bros. for PC? Intense!

September 2nd, 2006 at 9:34 pm by The Missing Link

One thing I’ve been doing more often on ZeldaBlog is pointing out various interesting projects made by members of the greater Zelda community (or at least people online who love Zelda enough to do something cool with it). Even though the Internet has made communication so much quicker, the Internet is a huge place, and it would take forever for one person to search every nook and cranny to find every last cool thing somehow related to Zelda. So when I find something that simply blows my mind, I feel the need to share it all with you, you know, just in case you haven’t heard about it yet.

I found today’s cool thing thanks to the zelda_lovers LiveJournal community.

Today’s cool thing: Super Smash Bros. on your PC.

The game is Super Smash Flash, and you can find it over on NewGrounds or, even better, at the developer’s site McLeod Gaming. Wonder of wonders, if you have Adobe Flash 8 on your computer, get ready for a melee like you’ve never seen. (Or rather, you’ve already seen it, just on the N64 and the ‘Cube.)

This fangame is not just some senseless port of either of the two versions. In fact, I would dare say that it’s the creator’s fantasy of what SSB:B would be (but won’t be, due to a few missing characters) or what SSB:M should have been (but wasn’t, for much the same reason). The classics are all there: Mario, Luigi, Kirby, Link, Zelda, Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Samus, Fox McCloud, and Captain Falcon… but unlike the previous versions of Smash Brothers, this one dips heavily into other game series, other game consoles… and (don’t groan, please) animé series. Just to name a few, you’ve got Sonic from the Sonic series, Cloud from Final Fantasy VII, and Inuyasha from his TV program.

(All the characters. Batteries and some unlocking required.)

Most of the familiar characters from SSB and SSB:M have their familiar moves. Link has his sword and boomerang, Mario has his fireballs and spin attack, and Zelda has her wonderful kick and her conversion to Sheik. But this is a Flash game, not a commercial product; the controls have had to be simplified (since there’s no analog stick on your keyboard with which you can smash attack). As such, you’ve got a jump button and an attack button, giving you five major attacks: Attack, Up+Attack, Down+Attack (aerial), Down+Attack (ground), and Left/Right+Attack. (Some lucky characters actually are able to attack just by jumping; unfortunately, none of our Hyruleans are in that group.) So just because you can kick butt with character X doesn’t mean it’s still possible. (I think Samus and Kirby personally got the short end of the stick in this.)

As far as “single player” goes, you’ve got pretty much the standard options. They’ve ported the Classic, Adventure, and All-Star Modes from SSB:M, although there are heavy changes in the levels and the characters you battle. (Master Hand is still, as always, the final boss.) You can also do the Target Test and the Multi-Man Melees, and you’ll be spending time in both to unlock all 28 characters. “Multiplayer” mode allows you to go head to head with a second player (if you have a second player who is geeky enough to play SSF with you) and/or up to three computer players at various difficulty levels. (Or you can lock four computer players in a closet and see which one comes out alive. That’s just as entertaining, really.)

The most surprising part of the game is that there is some semblance of AI in the game. (How you can code that in Flash completely boggles me; I wouldn’t have believed it possible!) The computer can be pretty easy to fool, so I’m sure you’ll easily find about a thousand cheap ways to send the computer players off the screen. (Hint: Anyone with projectile weapons is extremely deadly.) At the same time, the computer can also be insanely cheap at times as some characters have a virtual immunity to flying off the screen (*cough* Fox *cough* Kirby).

The game probably won’t take eons of time to get past (I unlocked everything within four hours of gameplay), but it’s still incredibly fun to at least mess around with. It’s probably not the most elegant or finished fangame out there, but it is one of the very few that have drawn me into playing it beyond the first 15 minutes.

So play, smash, and be merry! Enjoy! :)

Filed under Games, Fanstuff

62 Messages from the Gossip Stones about “Smash Bros. for PC? Intense!”

Comments

luigi looks strange.

This game is great. I love it when fans make some good things like this.

YESSSSSSS. Lloyd!

evil link said:

This game is great. I love it when fans make some good things like this.

Now that i’ve played it can see that this game is just rubbish.

NARUTO!!! AWESOME!!! This game couldn’t be any cooloer unless they put Sephiroth in it, then I have three powerful characters in the fray ^_^

evil link said:

evil link said:

This game is great. I love it when fans make some good things like this.

Now that i’ve played it can see that this game is just rubbish.

LOL!

This is the 3rd PC fanmade version of a Super Smash Bros that I see. This one is like 100% better than any of them so far, so I won’t even dare to mention the others. :P Well at least if people want to do a clone of Super Smash Bros, they should start by combining forces.

If I want to see some 2D deathmatch on my PC I’ll stick with Super Mario War 10000% times more. But if I have the choice I’d choose Super Smash Bros Melee like 10000000% times more than Super Mario War. Which means than Super Smash Bros Brawl should be like (INFINITY X 2 + CHUCH NORRIS)% better than this Flash game.

Wow. . . we have some really dedicated people here in the gaming community. If I could download this, I’d do it in an instant!

I really don’t know what to say about it, except that it’s a cool idea, and I think a lot of people will like it.

I played the game, it’s so freakin hard in adventure mode! I can’t get past the floating islands level!

Its a prity good copy but the controls mess up every now and then.

Do you ever get the feeling that some people have far too much time on their hands?

I like the idea of a fan-made SSB game that incorporates lots of characters that couldn’t realistically be included in an official SSB game (although with the example of Solid Snake in the newest incarnation, who knows?), but the lack of elegance in the controls of SSF pretty much ruins it for me. I’m a Smash Maniac, after all, and being able to dodge circles around an opponent is a big part of what makes SSB so appealing to me. SSF doesn’t even have a shield button. :P

UltimaLuminaire said:

YESSSSSSS. Lloyd!

Hyrulian Hero said:

exactly!!! They should have put Monkey D. Luffy in it too. Or Zolo.

I just found this out. If you get stuck, go under control and click Step Forward. It’ll skip to the next scene.

yes! crono and naruto this is my dream game

I applaud the effort, but I don’t think I’ll ever play it again. It’s got a great novelty factor, but I’d rather power on my gamecube and throw in SSB:M.

They should put Naruto and Lloyd in SSB:B!!!!

• 18. Nixi says:

T_T If I didn’t have a job I would spend all my life with this game. Well, probably not, but I’d play it, beat it, and then move on to new things.

Hm.

The graphics are really nice and I love the huge selection of characters to choose from (FINALLY! Sonic vs. Mario!), but all the glitches and horrible control scheme really keep this fan-game from being truly great.

no Goku :) ? interesting character selection though.I dont see any FE characters unless that llyod is the swordmaster from FE:7,but I doubt it.im not surprised they put naruto in do to the shows popularity,of coarse Kakashi would have been cool though ;) .Inuyashas pretty cool too.I think there might be to much sonic in it however.I personally wouldnt play this cause I dont really like PC games.

They should have put Monkey D. Luffy in it too. Or Zolo.

best bets zolo,luffy would turn out cheesy do to the lack of moves (poor luffy :) ).

Say, who is that one Sonic character, Blade, right? I don’t know him. Zolo is an awesome fighter. Llyod is the hero in Tales of Symphonia, I never played the game, but I haven’t heard anything negative about it (and don’t start, the Big Cheese here like’s the game.) Goku, I think he’d wipe them all out (I USED to watch DargonBallZ) so I don’y think he’s in here. Fox should use weapons like in Star Fox Assault, that’ll clear the field in no time.

I wonder why they didnt put any fire emblem characters in,theres only like,over a hundred to choose from (though some are less important then others :) ).they also should have put some characters from FF X(2) in (like Rikku :D ! ) .

Lloyd is frikin awsome. He would kick The *navi* out of everyone if he was in SSBB.

I’d have a blast playing as Lloyd, Zelos wouldn’t probably be just as cool, because of his magic attacks, and whatnot.

COOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!! NOW I JUST HAVE TO DOWNLOAD IT AND PLAY IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Although, Luffy would have been soooooo coooooool!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And Zoro tooooo!!!!!!!!! (his original, japanese name is Zoro, not ZoLLLLo, that just sounds stupid…..)

COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!

FUN GAME!!!!! sorry for the double post…..

ZELDAFAN!n_n said:

COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes well I’m not Japanese. I’m American and in the American version he is called Zolo, due to Zoro being the name of a masked vigilante elsewhere. One Piece could be much cooler if it wasn’t done in the US by 4kids. Those guys are so stupid. Sanji would much cooler with a cigarette than a lolly-pop.
    Naruto could be better. They shouldda put Lee in there. He’s only a minor character but with his hidden Lotus abbilites he would rock. Just one open inner-gate would have slaughtered everyone else in the game. Lloyd should have had Beast instead of Sword Rain.
    Stupi brothers keep hogging the computer because of this game.

ZELDAFAN!n_n said:
    his original, japanese name is Zoro, not ZoLLLLo, that just sounds stupid

theres hardly a difference though :? .I could see if it was like horohoro from shaman king turned to trey (not that I care,its just a drastic change) .

That must’ve been a pun, I thought that was funny *tries to drink water, but splashes it everywhere out of shivering in terror* I’ll be ok. Anyways, no one answered my question about that character, He looks like Sonic, but is red (not Knuckle, the other red guy)

Hyrulian Hero said:

I have no idea,but i would imagine hes from one of the newer sonic games.

interesting…
    it would of been cool if kurama from yuyu hakusho was in it or some fire emblem people

sorry for double posting but wouldnt it of been funny if tingle was in it :)

NO TINGLE! HE’S FAR TOO SCARY LOOKING!!! *curls up in a ball* I’ll be good, I promise not to fight too hard on this game. *gets up* So, what is this game called?

Hyrulian Hero said:

What do you mean pun? It was’t a pun. I’m serious. Lee would whoop’em.

Hyrulian Hero said:

haha but if tingle was in it i woulnt have to just settle for popping his air balloon and making him fall in the water :D

Hyrulian Hero said:

What do you mean pun? It was’t a pun. I’m serious. Lee would whoop’em.

yeah i know he would ^_^ , i think it sounded like a pun because you said he’d rock and his name is rock lee

“…with his hidden Lotus abilities he would rock.” Does that help? Consider the fact that his full name (or title) is Rock Lee. I wonder what kind of battle (as seen in picture #1 from the top) it would be like.

Cloud!?!? Chrono!?!? LLOYD!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!omgquestionmark11one!?!? stupid dialup

• 38. Sage says:

Dear God, why? Thats just… peachy. My brothers dream come true. I now have to hide the computer from him. Great going, guys.

And in reponse to the Zolo/Zoro thing, the r and l sounds are mixed into one sound in Japenese, so thats really the same name. >_>

Ya know, aside from being able to take advantage of the flash player to cheat past the stupid race to the finish levels, its a pretty solid game.

Sage said:

the r and l sounds are mixed into one sound in Japenese >_>

Well, in Icelandic (not that it matters), the r sounds just like the one in japanese, so it isn’t a matter of mixing them. And Roronoa Zoro sounds cool but Roronoa (or Lolonoa) Zolo is just stupid. Right?……right…?RIGHT!?!!??!?!!?!?!?!? IS THERE NO HUMANITY IN THIS WORLD!?!!?!?!???!?!!! ?!??!!?! hmm……maybe I should send it BEFORE waiting for a response……Although, no one would agree with some stupid “Icelander”, huh……

This is a really fun game except the controls are kinda akward and some of the sprites are well…you see them EVERYWHERE. (like in webcomics. I really don’t like the Zelda/Link sprites but I’m just picky.) I like how they put in Cloud and other random characters.

Who’s blue? I hope it’s not blue from blues’s clue’s.

Yes, finally someone who knows that the r and l sounds in Japanese are the same! That’s why they spell it Zeruda (Japanese don’t say it that way, they actually say Zelda) in Japan, but Zelda over here.

• 44. Sage says:

It looks like he’s from sonic, but Blue from Blue’s Clues… now thats just scary.

And sorry, I dont know much about Icelanders. Besides, Zoro is kinda taken. >_>

I think he’s from Sonic. But I don’t think a drink combo.

The Ultimate said:

Who’s blue?.

it appears to be yet another character from sonic :/ .

I love peope. This is just too cool. Rock on.

Hey, does anyone know the controls for fighting? I only got the moving thing right, plus the game froze up on me, but i’ll try again.

I beat TML would like to see Chuck Norris added to the list, Link Vs Chuck who would win?

Link. He has a sword.
    And for all you Chuck fans here’s an awesome little flash vid. Actually everyone will love it. www.ultimateshowdown.org

Hyrulian Hero said:

Or we could just call him “Bushy Brows”.

Sage said:

And sorry, I dont know much about Icelanders.

SEE!!!??? NOBODY KNOWS US!!!!!! It’s so depressing……

Sage said:

Besides, Zoro is kinda taken. >_>

Sage said:

And sorry, I dont know much about Icelanders.

SEE!!!??? NOBODY KNOWS US!!!!!! It’s so depressing……

Sage said:

Besides, Zoro is kinda taken. >_>

Does that really matter? ART THOU DEFYING THE GREAT ODA SENSEI!!!!!????? NO MATTER WHO (…well MAYBE Miyamoto…maybe……mayyyyy…beeeeee………but just maybe…But no one else!)NOBODY DEFIES THE GREAT ODA SENSEI!!!!!! Besides, he’s Japanese! Japanese, y’know, japanskur, Nihon, no matter what language, he’s japanese…not that it really matters……Besides, if you add Roronoa, you get a COMPLETELY new name!!!!!! Isn’t One Piece great?

ZELDAFAN!n_n said:
    ART THOU DEFYING THE GREAT ODA SENSEI!!!!!?????

whos that?

anyways this game would be cooler if there were less sonic characters.theres a ton of different choices they could have used and I just think putting 7 sonic characters in was a waist.btw,is it just me or does Fox look like he could be tails :P ?.

Great Lord Ephraim said:
    btw,is it just me or does Fox look like he could be tails?

A bit…

ZELDAFAN!n_n said:
    SEE!!!??? NOBODY KNOWS US!!!!!! It’s so depressing……

In my schoolwork, I learned a bit of Iceland. When I was reading about it’s evironment and climate, I thought it was kinda like Hyrule here on earth, minus a lush forest (I think) but that’s (unfortunately) not about this subject. Anyways, there seems to be a lot more Sonic characters than necessary. Sonic, Tails, and Shadow should be the only ones in the game, and add Pit, Snake, Meta Knight, Zero Suit Samus, TP Link, Rock Lee, and Sephiroth!

OOH OOH Add a rifleman from AW.

Great Lord Ephraim said:

ZELDAFAN!n_n said:
    ART THOU DEFYING THE GREAT ODA SENSEI!!!!!?????

whos that?

W-WHAAAAAT!?!?!!!????!?!?!!?!? THE GREAT EIICHIRO ODA IS THE GREAT CREATOR OF ONE PIECE!!!!!!!!!!11 WHO ELSE DIDN’T KNOW THAT!? HUH!? HUH!?

Hyrulian Hero said:

ZELDAFAN!n_n said:
    SEE!!!??? NOBODY KNOWS US!!!!!! It’s so depressing……

In my schoolwork, I learned a bit of Iceland.

YAY!

Hyrulian Hero said:

Yeah, it is a bit, well……it has a special climate, but I’m used to it, so, yeah. But, I like the cold most n_n My poor, poor friends who don’t like the cold……But, I wish I was in the northern part (more cold) but, then I’d be far away from the ONLY city……Bah, hard to choose!

Hyrulian Hero said:
    but that’s (unfortunately) not about this subject.

Yeah, shame about that……But, this game is fun!

Oh, and one more thing: DON’T DEFY THE GREAT EIICHIRO ODA-SAMA!!!!!!

ZELDAFAN!n_n said:

Great Lord Ephraim said:

ZELDAFAN!n_n said:
    ART THOU DEFYING THE GREAT ODA SENSEI!!!!!?????

whos that?

hmm.you know come to think of it I dont think I know the name of any anime makers so dont feel to bad :) .

Great Lord Ephraim said:

ZELDAFAN!n_n said:

Great Lord Ephraim said:

ZELDAFAN!n_n said:
    ART THOU DEFYING THE GREAT ODA SENSEI!!!!!?????

whos that?

……ok then……

i beat the whole game!LOL!!!! and i did it all with link!and naruto is a perv,4 all of you who didn’t know…F.Y.I! what the heck is this oda thingy?o well,bac 2 helping sis with tww.(she died killing a m8y darknut and trying 2 kill goma….lolz!!!majorly!

master of windwaker said:

Quit speaking chatspeak and speak English, I didn’t understand you the first time around.

ok,ok i’m sorry to all of you who did not understand me,i just got off of some here else,but that’s off topic.

f.y.i.,TML..i did it all in 3 hours!!!!!i rule the world of ssbm/pc!!!mwahahaha!!!!!oh,and is brawl coming out on the cube,too?because i reaallly want it.if it doesn’t,i will..go to the evil/dark side*shudders*…xbox and ps2*runs around,scearing head off*yes,i do do double posts.don’t hurt me!!!