Zelda on a TI-83+

August 12th, 2006 at 5:55 pm by Archaic Sage

It would appear that we have some incredibly creative and intellegent Zelda fans in our community. Well, that statement isn’t exactly a new, or unfamilar thing to us. After all, I’m here typing this to you! But seriously, we do have some amazing people in our own community, such as those who create Zelda fangames. Each of those games have something that’s incredibly unique and brilliant, even those who are making their first gaming projects.

However, when we come across people who can manage to recreate one of the best handheld Zelda games, on a calculator, it makes me take notice.

It would appear that Spencer is this person. Although he's not directly related to our Zelda Communtiy, to my knowledge, he is a Zelda fan. So that earns him points regardless. Anyway, he's managed to recreate the best Nintendo made handheld Zelda game, Link's Awakening on a graphical calcultaor. The TI 83+ to be precise. Now, I have no idea what that actually means, as I'm not mathmatically minded. However, the screenshots and videos that are released of this footage is enough to make me be in awe.

Now, Zelda Games on Calculators is nothing new to the Zelda Community, well, to those of us who remember Kasuto.net and were around about three years ago. Kasuto of Kataan managed to make one of these games for his calculator years ago; however, it was his own game, and if I remember correctly, not to the same standard as this Link's Awakening recreation.

This game is looking pretty awesome really. If anyone has any more details, like what that calculator is, and alike, please contact us!

Source: GameSetWatch

Note: I’m aware this is a direct rip from my own site, I’m lazy! :P

Filed under Community, News, Fanstuff, Link's Awakening

Follow This Entry | Read Other Posts by Archaic Sage

37 Messages from the Gossip Stones about “Zelda on a TI-83+”

Comments

Anyway, he’s managed to recreate the only Nintendo made handheld Zelda game, Link’s Awakening

You forgot Minish Cap, my friend. ;)

Very cool, nevertheless. :D

Damn it. I always think that TMC is Capcom owing to the fact that I don’t particularly love it. XD

• 3. Psy says:

It’s a Texas Instruments calculator. They’re mainly issued by schools to students (in Texas, at least, that I know of), and they cost a great deal of money. It usually comes with games, and others that you can download, but they’re generally boring. Think this, but LED.

Musica would love that (felt like acknowledging that) This is pretty cool, seems like someone doesn’t want to go back to school without a way to destroy evil.

Sweet! I have a TI-83+, and it doesn’t need any homebrew OS to run it! Shame that TI-83+ don’t have speakers.

To be more explicit, the TI-83+ is a calculator that supports vectors, 2D graphics, matrix calculations, equation solvers, programmed functions, probability/statistics, trigonometry and PC connectivity. On top of that you can run assembly code, hence a Zelda homebrew game. Personally I use mine for higher mathematics as described above (of course, duh), plus I installed/programmed many other things, including a password at bootup, hentai picture splashscreen, base converter, 3D functions, and dice throwing simulation and calculation for my Shadowrun 4th Edition games.

Actually, I still haven’t found any TI-83+ videogame fun enough to be kept on my calculator, but I think this one is still worth a try. However its memory is almost full, so I’ll have to delete my backup while I try it.

Ummm… is it released yet? I can’t find the program!

The TI-83+ is a predomanatly heavily used calculator by Geometry and Algebra students. I use a TI-85, one of a bigone era known as 1990 (it’s older than me :p). However, the TI-90 Series is much more powerful. My sister owns a TI-93 she used for Pre-Cal. There are also TI-30x Calculators for Pre-Algebra and the like.

SmashManiac said:

Ummm… is it released yet? I can’t find the program!

There are a few demos of it http://www.revsoft.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=348&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 there.

For those who are more image-minded, you can click here to see a picture of the TI-83 (which looks exactly like the 83+ externally).

That game definitely looks like more fun for a calculator than typing the entire “Twelve Days of Christmas”–with repeats–something I have sadly done before.

pff…I didnt even know you could play games on calculators :P .

Cool!! I am getting ready to have that excat same calculator!!

This makes me want to break into my school and hack all our TI-83’s. >D If only my ankle wasnt messed up…
    It would be pretty hard to explain if you got caught playing it in class though. “But I’m only using my calculator! Really! I just hacked it and downloaded a Zelda remake for it! But its still a calculator! I cant get in trouble for using a calculator!” XD

We have finaly located the God of Zelda fans, all hail Lord Spencer, lol.

Umm, TMC IS Capcom isn’t it? Just pop that cart into your GBA, I’m pretty sure that Capcom is one of the names that pops up in the opening.

Wow, this is pretty cool though. Isn’t programing on those calculators pretty archaic?

Archaic Sage said:

SmashManiac said:

Ummm… is it released yet? I can’t find the program!

There are a few demos of it [link] there.

I’ve already checked them out, they are only videos and animated GIFs.

Koodo’s, Spencer, Koodo’s

• 16. jrz says:

i find cauculator games very very hard to believe

jrz said:

i find cauculator games very very hard to believe

Believe it. I’ve made my own. Many of them. Namely:

- Blackjack (that seems to always kick my butt no matter how hard I try)
    - A Pokémon-like game called Calculator Creatures
    - A multiplayer program called Magic Battle
    - A Nibbles-like game
    - A maze-like dungeon game called Maze of Mystery
    - And several others…

I really should whip out my TI83 emulator one of these days and screencap those for the nonbelievers.

• 18. Vaa says:

Actually, it’s a new game. Not a port of Link’s Awakening.

I have a Ti-89 (for calculus and whatnot). Any clue if there’s an emulator to play 83 games on an 89?

Old news. I saw someone playing what looked like Link’s Awakening on a calculator back when I was in my first year of highschool - in 1997. I was pretty awed then, seriously. No, I’m not the kind of jerk to just make this sort of thing up, either. I distinctly observed that the game was adapted to the lower resolution of the calculator.

That’s cool! I wish I had Link’s Awakening.
    I remember good ol’ Kasuto.net. Though that site can easily be destroyed by a virus. Hmmm… maybe that’s why Kasuto of Kataan gave up on his site. That site has been doing nothing ever since Janurary 28th. I stopped going to that site many months ago.

jrz said:

i find cauculator games very very hard to believe

Believe it. I’ve made my own. Many of them. Namely:

- Blackjack (that seems to always kick my butt no matter how hard I try)
    - A Pokémon-like game called Calculator Creatures
    - A multiplayer program called Magic Battle
    - A Nibbles-like game
    - A maze-like dungeon game called Maze of Mystery
    - And several others…

Don’t worry about that:

Games for TI-83+ in assembly language
    Games for TI-83+ in Basic
    Games for TI-83+ in Flash

Try them with a TI-83+ emulator if you can’t find the real thing.

There’s even a screenshot of a TI-83+ game featured in Wikipedia.

Vaa said:

I doubt it. I don’t think any of those calculators would be powerful enough to emulate a totally different assembly.

Holy CRAP, where was this guy in the mid ’90s when I was still in high school?

Wow I wish I could do that. I can’t even get a freaking Fire Emblem animation to work with Visual Basic. But thats MSPaint’s fault.

Ah, TI calculators. I used to make math/science programs and games for those when I was in high school. Helped me out a lot in Physics and Chemistry. I remember the old Zelda game that came out awhile back, it was short but fun. I love calculator games though, it’s completely different than playing on a handheld.

I just had to be a TI-83+ the other day for skool. The whole $110 price tag *navied* me off, but now I’m happy to know that I can secretly play Link’s Awakening in the middle of math!

Kasuto needs to update is site. I think the last time he posted an update was in January ‘06. All in all, its a very fun thing to have on a huge calculator…what else are we supposed to do with it? LOL.

I know what catergory these TI-38+ Zelda games should be called. The Legend of Zelda: Adventures in Calculot! What do you think? I would like one, but then I’ll be forced to remove it so I can stay on my school work. IT is a good game to play during lunch when none of your friends are at school (or your table)

Or you could just smuggle your gameboy or DS in and play it on that.

NOOOOOO *darth vader music* the teachers will steal it they took my sp already but I will build a deathstar and make my on zelda caculator on it during second period

Kasuto did have a TI-83 calculator game called “Zelda Invasion” for download, but I’m pretty certain he didn’t write it. In fact, he wrote of it: “This is a Zelda game written for the TI-83 graphing calculator. You can’t expect killer graphics with this, but it’s kinda cool to play a Zelda game during math class. Everyone will think you’re a nerd playing with your calculator, but you’ll know better.”

Heheh, that sounds cool. Maybe they give Link school themed stuff to use, like a ruler for a sword, notepad for a shield, tennis shoes for boots, gym clothes to be worn at fire-related area of “Calculot,” and an eraser to kill off Mr. Ganon :D That should be allowed in school :D

Hyrulian Hero said:

hahaha!!!!!! The wind waker could also be a ruler!

OMG HOW COOOOOOOOOOOOOOLL!!!!!!!!! I played 10000 of times Mario on my calculator and even pacman and tetris!! But Zelda awesome!!! XD Too bad I don’t use that calculator anymore for my next school XD

shadowknight said:

hahaha!!!!!! The wind waker could also be a ruler!

No, it can be a pen, or a pencil. He could use a recorder in place of an ocarina.

Not suprised that fangames are storming the internet (copied from my websites statusbar newsticker)… but still, you know, making Zelda fangames is not as hard as it sounds:

Zelda Classic

Make your own Zelda game, download other developer’s creations and upload stuff to their servers.

If I had the time and energy to be working on fan fiction I would … wait, I am! … But that’s another story … hah, get it? “story”? it’s a story so… yeah um. These guys really have done a good job on a fair bit of their work. Some of it is unbelievable. Keep up the coolness! Zelda 4 Ever!