Our friend, Tingle

August 3rd, 2006 at 9:55 pm by Masamune

A lot of people say bad things about Tingle. A terrible, terrible thing to do. I mean in reality, besides charging you obnoxious prices for stuff you absolutely need, what has Tingle ever did to you? People overcharge you for stuff you don’t need in life all the time and they don’t get knocked as nearly as much as Tingle does. And you know what? It’s not fair.

But you know what? Tingle knows. He hears what people say to him. Do you think he cares that you say horrible things about him? Yes he does. Do you think he is ignorant to your insinuations that he’s as gay as a pile of wood? No, he’s not. He knows that you guys don’t want him in Twilight Princess and he can’t fathom why. Tingle doesn’t spread hate… he only wants to bring joy - and hey, if charging you a little extra in pursuit of his own dreams hurts… maybe you should look at your own life. What’s your dream? Be a astronaut, lawyer, or president?

Tingle has a bigger dream. A great dream. One that goes beyond just the Legend of Zelda. One that surpasses Ganon’s dreams to rule all of Hyrule. A dream that - yes - surpasses that century long one Mad Batter has been having about Batgirl. Tingle wants to be a fairy. You say, “Oh yeah. That’s totally not questionable.”

Maybe people should think about that. What does it mean to be a fairy? It means FREEDOM. Any person can look at Tingle and realize this guy ain’t got much going for him. He’s in his thirties and is a map salesmen. Does he have a chance with the ladies? Not likely. Everything is against him - but here is a man who perseveres and dreams of something bigger. And rather than go out and rant about it on his online journal, he goes out to DO something about it. Link may save all of Hyrule, but Tingle reaches out to real people. Us. Those that aren’t perfect, good looking, or look good in tights. He’s right there, with us, struggling to exist in a world completely against him.

So yes, Tingle knows what you say about him. But in the end Tingle continues on his dream. A dream bigger than all of us. And I think he deserves our full support. So go up, give Tingle a hug, and don’t steal his magic words, or so help me.

Friend. Dreamer. Entrepreneur.
Tingle.

Filed under Humor, Tingle RPG

Follow This Entry | Leave a Response

82 Messages from the Gossip Stones about “Our friend, Tingle”

Comments

As I keep telling you, he killed my grandma, Masamune. Yet still, you refuse to understand. :( Dang Rupee Mafia!

You know those huge rupees in Four Swords that he ends up taking for himself if you’re not quick enough? That’s what he’s done to me.

Linkisdoomed said:

You mean civil service to pick up discarded force gems that have been clinically proven to cause painful foot impalings when left on the ground unattended? Yeah, he’s a real criminal.

WAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!
    This is the best, Masa, the best, you may rival DC and TML.

That is evil, man. I shall avenge your Grandmother, TML, but I need your help, into becoming, a Wizrobe, one that steals rupees. I need your help so Tingle won’t take my soon-to-be venerable mind. So, is it a deal (I’ll split the rupees 40/60)

Hyrulian Hero said:

WAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!
    This is the best, Masa, the best, you may rival DC and TML.

Hmmmmmm. :P

You know Masa, that big red X where the picture should be is probably important. :P

Hey man, Tingle’s my hero. He inspired me to pursue my life long dream of becoming a first class thief, like the thieves in ALttP (I’m particularly fond of the one in the Village of Outcasts - he looks like a rabbit).

I never actually had a promblem with Tingle..

It’s not Tingle’s fault that people of jealous of him. xD

I mean, he has got several qualities we’d all like to have! He’s got money, he can fly and he’s excellent at creating maps! What’s there not to like about him?

All you haters out there, stop hating on Tingle!

Masa shot his own Tingle picture. Also your whole ladies statement is BS. Those pics of Rupee Land showed him with some.

Oh I forgot something. Tingle Tingle KooLoo-Limpah!!! Whataya gonna do Masamune? Huh? I stole his magic words.

I’ve never had a problem with Tingle either, though I must admit the one in WW was annoying. (He was thrown in jail, made annoying sound effects, gave you a usless item, forced his friends to work all day long, and charged you an arm & a leg for maps.)

But I really liked the one in MM. He was silly, quirky, and helpful too. If Tingle is in anymore games, I hope that’s the version they use.

Truly insightful words, Masamune. I applaud you. *applauds*

As for you, cucco_cojiro, Tingle can add a specialist fee if he wants to. Do you see anyone else deciperhing charts for the Hero of Wind? I think not. And you can find rupees in the bushes, in pots, and on monsters. They’re everywhere. It shouldn’t be that hard to collect the rupees needed to pay Tingle for a chart deciphering. And it’s not even real money. You can’t spend it in real life.

Tingle, his brothers and Knuckle run an extortion racket within Hyrule that is so violent that they makes James Gandolfinis gangster character Tony Soprano look like a School yard bully. Remember the Spider people in Kakariko Village who said they were turned into Spiders because of their greed, well they lied the truth is that Tingle and his gang cursed them for not paying their protection racket on time and they were too afraid to say otherwise incase Tingle came back. So just you remember that poor family the next time you try to protect that evil *Navi* Tingle because if you ever cross him you may wake up with a severed cuccus head on your pillow.

Having a dream is something. Being dumb is another. Unfortunately, Tingle is dumb.

P.S.: Broken image.

Come on, do you think a civil servant would force his brothers to turn a stupid tower featuring his *naving* head? Endless tourture for them!!!
    Good article by the way. :D

Tingle is trying to escape reality, that is hardly admirable.

vixxe said:

It’s not Tingle’s fault that people of jealous of him. xD

All you haters out there, stop hating on Tingle!

I got money (not much , liike pocket change :? ) I can fly *shoots self from a cannon, then floats down gently while wearing a jetpack* the flying took up most of the money, and I can do maps, very detailed ones, too. And, I’m not wearing tights, I’m wearing a cowboy suit :D

• 18. Psy says:

Steve_Racer said:

Tingle is trying to escape reality, that is hardly admirable.

Since you’re definitely not doing than when you’re playing games and all.

Tingle in Twilight Princess for the win.

Tingle needs to become a fairy in twilight princess and follow you around. If you thought that navi was annoying just think how bad it would be tingle as your gaurdian. Would you rather have, “hey, look, listen,” in your ear or tingle saying, “oh look its a chuchu. It dosn’t give you rupees so just ignore it.” Then when your not he looking steals your ruppees from your pocket.

I had a nightmare where Tingle stuck me in a tower, and made me push this turret around and around, and was stuck with a bunch of other drones and we were all dressed like Tingle, exept in different colors. AAAAHHH!!!!!!!

Go Masa! Support Tingle! Let all the non-Tingle-haters of the world unite! We will show our strength, because together, we are strong.

Notice that this article’s filed under Humor…

ahhhhh,now I hate tingle even more!!! hes not fulfilling his dreams,hes just crushing everyone elses! besides,theres a reason he was in jail.

1) slavery:forcing his two brothers and a injured man to do hard labor.

3) murder:just ask TML.

so hes not so much of a friend as he is a criminal ;) .

• 24. Psy says:

Great Lord Ephraim said:

1) slavery:forcing his two brothers and a injured man to do hard labor.

3) murder:just ask TML.

so hes not so much of a friend as he is a criminal ;) .

5.) Helping Link save The Great Sea: Sure, you had to pay rupees out the *Navi*, but if he hadn’t offered to translate those maps, every single one of you would still be stumbling aimlessly around that gigantic puddle with only a single piece of the Triforce of Courage at most. Prove me wrong.

Psy said:

first of all,translating maps dosnt make up for his other crimes.second,dont you think if he had everybodys best interest in mind he would have done it for free :P ?

• 26. Psy says:

Great Lord Ephraim said:

Translating any ol’ map wouldn’t, but we’re talking legendary maps. And second, I do think he had everybody’s best interest in mind. He’d been in jail for Farore knows how long. He hadn’t been able to work to pay Ankle, Knuckle, and David Jr. (honestly, tell me how someone like Tingle could enslave all three of them). Thus, while he gets back on his feet, he decides help you out by translating the maps and uses the money to tide the three over for a while. And come on–don’t tell me that a hero can’t spare a measly 3,184 rupees.

I love you, mr. article writer. :) If you were being serious, that is.

Not one person has a worthy reason to hate Tingle so passionately. It’s just slander. Apparently flaming harmless characters makes you cool on the net. I have one thing to say about that (I registered here to say it): Grow up, people. Navi rocks, Tingle rocks, Kaepora rocks. It’s not their fault you can’t appreciate the depth of their character. Infact, you must not be a very big Zelda fan at all if you can’t see past having to ‘deal with’ talking to them. I personally enjoyed it.

Let’s address some things someone recently brought up about Tingle, and his ‘crimes’:

“1) slavery:forcing his two brothers and a injured man to do hard labor.”

Reply: I don’t recall them being -forced- to do anything. I saw nothing to stop them from up and walking off on Tingle, or overpowering him since they had him outnumbered. It was clearly a willing choice for one reason or another.

“2) thievery:you can call it civil service,but why does he only go for the big force gems?chances are your gonna step on a small over a big one.”

Reply: That entire game was a joke. Simple as that. I’m not being sarcastic either, it was made to be a practical game. Tingle just happened to be unique and silly enough for them to plug in to that role, to spice up the gameplay.

“3) murder:just ask TML.”

Reply: What?

“4) prison break:I dont need to go into details,tricking a young boy into freeing you is just wrong.”

Reply: Naw, every one of us saw him in there and -chose- to free him. That’s right, it’s a choice -we- made as players to free him. If anything, we’re the criminals — assuming he had any real reason to be there in the first place. Because we’re the ones that chose to set him free.

But more importantly… I never see anyone flaming Ganondorf for STEALING PRINCESS ZELDA AND DESTROYING HYRULE! If anyone, you should hate -him-. Tingle didn’t do jack compared to that. Ganondorf cursed the world, he cursed all incarnations of Link and Zelda to have to battle him off over and over and over for eternity. With much sacrificed in the process. And yet I see everyone begging for someone that vile to return to Zelda. Ironic, huh?

What did Tingle do? Dress in a silly way to try and catch his sweet little dream? Make you pay some extra rupees? There have been far more outrageous things than that in Zelda, and you got over those issues no problem. So what’s stopping you from getting over this? Simple: it’s an internet fad. A disgusting and unjust flame parade on a beautiful and misunderstood character. I can’t fathom how any of you can be proud of such an obnoxious butchery.

Link would be ashamed.

I’m feeling charitable today, so I’ll look past the fact that Tingle’s features mimic that of a mutilated bulldog. I actually like the little 30 year old. If it were not for his high prices, I’d never be able to feed my family! …wait… In any case, someone should give the poor guy a box of tissues whenever you see him … poor guy always has a cold it seems. … oh *Navi* I forgot … I accidentally mistook him for a demon, of sorts, trying to steal my soul! I guess when I punched him in the face I broke something. ^_^ My bad. I’ll send the tissues!

measly?! i had to restart my game because i couldnt find any rupees

Psy said:
    And come on–don’t tell me that a hero can’t spare a measly 3,184 rupees.

• 30. Psy says:

SS4 Kurama said:

measly?! i had to restart my game because i couldnt find any rupees

I was flabbergasted, but then I saw the “@aol.com” email address and all became clear. (Forgive me. I had to do it. ;) )

You, sir (or ma’am), may want to consider a less difficult game. The only problem I see with that, however, is that one to your liking may not exist. Joking aside, rupees are almost as abundant as water in that game. I mourn the day when one has more trouble filling their 5000 rupee wallet than emptying it.

are you serious RustyCage? nintendo designed tingle to get the response he does.its funny if you dont take everything so seriously.to the whole ganondorf thing,hes an evil villian,if he wasnt evil any game he was in would become a joke.just because you dont like a character dosnt mean your not a zelda fan,rather choosing between characters is what makes zelda fun to play and ultimatly, makes you a zelda fan.

• 32. Psy says:

Great Lord Ephraim said:
    nintendo designed tingle to get the response he does.

I must disagree. In Japan (you know, that tiny little chain of islands that games pop out of), characters such as Tingle are both common and well-liked.

Psy said:

Great Lord Ephraim said:
    nintendo designed tingle to get the response he does.

To add to that, if it weren’t for Tingle.. I don’t think I would have wanted so desperately to stop the Moon from crashing into Termina.

He was such a pure heart… Who else do you know that smiles and dances and dreams while doom lurks overhead with gritted teeth and flaming red eyes? He was an inspiration to me.. That quirky, child-like personality was something I admired. The way he dreamed even through the morbidly dark theme of the game, -even in the face of Death-! That’s what kept me going when I thought the adventure was just too depressing.. seeing him toss confetti and sing his magic words like a happy little boy. Even at that age, he held onto his innocent hopes from childhood. That’s so touching…

How could I let someone so beautiful and kind, with so many dreams for the future, just get mercilessly destroyed like that..? I couldn’t! Never! I stopped that Moon for little Tingle..

I never needed his maps to get around, but I always bought them anyway.. because I thought to myself that, in some little way, I was bringing him closer to his dreams..

I like to think that he did eventually meet the fairy he so longed to find his whole life. :)

LOL could it be Tingle’s arm and leg?

Hyrulian Hero said:

*rides in on a bike with a trailer marked , “Tingle-Lover’s only”, runs over someone’s foot* SORRY *stops, pulls a table out of nowhere, then set’s up a shop for Tingle fans* Tingle Store, buy anything that involves Tingle, from his latex suit to even tubes full of his goatee hair and toenail clippings. I have everything that is Tingle, even three recorders with all known sounds that Tingle can/could make. And it’s totally CHEAP! Just give me: 1,000,000,000,000 rupees, an arm, a leg, 5,000 force gems, and deeds to any one of your homes to buy any one of these items :D Give me your thoughts of what you’d think, Tingle fans, and non-Tingle fans.

^_^ Nope, your arm and leg, this stuff is to support Tingle, and he asks for arms and legs, the force gems are mine, and the one trillion rupees go to a secret source.

We don’t have to give up our third leg, do we?

now im currious, and just what is tingle plotting to do with that arm and leg :)

Hyrulian Hero said:

HH: You don’t want to know, so, if you want to make the Tingle-haters go away, buy this merchandise! And if I get one complaint about it being over-priced, I get a raise *evil smile* *calls Tingle on the cellphone* Ok, master, I’m getting the “right people” to buy your junk-er-merchantdise of extreme value, especially of that of those that are defending you.
    Tingle: Good, when they think that I want to become a fairy, they will-
    HH: *in thought* I need to break that spell, I need those Force Gems to break the hypnosis.
    Tingle: Did you get the plan?
    HH: Ahem, yes, sir, the “right people” will fall for, the trap. *closes cellphone and turns to people* Ok, so who’s first? *quietly* Help me.

• 40. Psy says:

Bah. Your slanderous role-playing doesn’t faze me. I will fight for Tingle until he gets the equality that he as a video game character has a right to.

her’s the thing. We get justice against Ganondorf or any other evil, except Tingle. That’s why we hate him. We don’t get to throw him jail, stick a sword in his head or cause his tower built by slave labor to colapse on him like we did to Veran in OoA. Oh and Tingle was dumb there too. Oh and Psy, I don’t try to escape reality when playing video games. I try to have fun.

hmmm good point LL 007.

Hyrulian Hero said:

Can I have Tingle’s severed head?

well HH,I just so happen to have 1,000,000,000,000 Rupees,an arm,a leg,5000 force gems,and the deed to my home.can I have tingles balloon :P ?

I’d Like his maps. All of them. And I want them free. And you will give them to me such or my AK-47 will pay you in lead.

To subject: See how over priced these stuff are? It’s the same amount in Rupees at The Great Sea.
    To Robert: No, he didn’t leave his head here, just clothes, maps, sweat, hair, fingernails, toenails, vomit, stuff you find in the toilet, I got it all exceot his head -_-
    To GLE: Great *give him the baloon; grabs him and whispers in his ear* Help me, Tingle is controlling my body! *lets go*
    To LL007: ok, that’ll be… 14 trillion rupees, 14 arms and legs, and 70 thousand Force Gems :D I don’t take lead *puts up an inpenetrable shield*
    To subject: this is outragious prices, besides, who wants to pay a severed leg for a few shaved hairs? Tingle is evil, EVIL!!! Plus, he bores me, and gets on my nerves (most of them on FSA)

• 47. Psy says:

Hm…Ganondorf….Veran…seeing a pattern here? Those are called antagonists. The entire point of the game is to get revenge because of whatever injustices they’ve done against you. Tell me, what did Tingle ever do to deserve that?

Does killing TML’s grandma count?

And he’s forced those poor defensless people too push his head around. His way of keeping him there is that he’s a yakuza boss and he’ll kill them if they don’t stay and work. His lackeys number in the thousands, the most well known being the bomb salesman.

• 50. Psy says:

All highly implausible and rather insulting accusations. Innocent until proven guilty, I say.

Steve_Racer said:

Tingle is trying to escape reality, that is hardly admirable.

Considering some of the stuff happening in reality, I think it is admirable that people try to escape it, especially when the escape helps other people escape a grim reality.

SS4 Kurama said:

measly?! i had to restart my game because i couldnt find any rupees

Okay, you can find rupees just about everywhere in Hyrule. Will you get over the rupee thing already?

Tingle isn’t evil. He shows no sign of taking over the world or killing anyone. If being cheerful in a time of gloom is a crime, then the world has come to a sad state. No wonder Tingle wants to be a faerie; because it would suck being a human.

As sad above, if Knuckle, Ankle, and David Jr. didn’t want to push a statue of TIngle’s head around, they would have left. Tingle wouldn’t have been able to stop them. What’s he going to do? Squirt ink at them? Tingle’s brother’s and David’s work is entirely voluntary.

I hate Tingle have you ever noticed that baloon he always has around well he stole those from 3 year old children and I caught him trying to steal my balloon.

Hyrulian Hero said:

*shoots light arrows at tingle and tingle melts* that should stop him :D (can I have my limbs back now?).

anyways tingle was fine in MM.he was still wierd and ugly but he wasnt too bad.I just cant stand him in TWW.hes anoying and he makes collecting the triforce of courage a drag.

• 54. Psy says:

Great Lord Ephraim said:

hes anoying and he makes collecting the triforce of courage a drag.

How can you possibly attribute the horrors of that task to him? If anything, he’s the easiest part of the entire thing. You can get all your maps translated right there at one time. No tedious, unenjoyable sailing there. And don’t give me that “it costs too much” crap. If you’ve got even a single ounce of gaming ability in your body, you should have more than enough rupees to pay for the whole thing. Come on, there’s a reason your wallet holds 5000.

I have yet to see a reason as to why Tingle is treated the way he is.

come on this is a humor article, you know, i think your taking things a little too seriously :/

Psy said:

Great Lord Ephraim said:

hes anoying and he makes collecting the triforce of courage a drag.

I have yet to see a reason as to why Tingle is treated the way he is.

• 56. Psy says:

SS4 Kurama said:

You’re right. I sort of am. But there’s a reason for it. These anti-Tingle fans who hate him for absolutely no reason are going to vote against him in every way possible on that Nintendo poll. If that happens, we’re probably not going to get the game in the US (and maybe Europe).

Now, honestly, I don’t really care all that much about Tingle (though I do find it a bit annoying that people don’t accept him as he was intended), but sure as heck I don’t want to be kept from playing a Zelda game just because some morons think that have to follow a crowd.

That was amazing masamune.

/clap

Psy said:

I have yet to see a reason as to why Tingle is treated the way he is.

I simply meant I get bored colecting the rupees (and I blame tingle because he makes me get them).I actually like collecting the maps ^_^ .

Okay. TWW and FSA were the only two games, in which I had a problem with Tingle. For reasons stated in other posts. Up in the tower in TWW, Ankle and David Jr. said that Tingle doesn’t give them very many breaks from turing the giant Tingle head, if any at all, and that Tingle doesn’t pay them very much. Apparently, either the Great Sea has no labor laws, or Tingle doesn’t abide by them. Maybe that’s why he was put in jail. Maybe after Link freed him, Tingle decided to charge people a *navi*load of rupees in order to give his hard-working buddies a more fair pay (either that, or to pay off his criminal fines).

As for Ganondorf, he’s the exact polar opposite of Tingle. While Ganondorf is a villain we love to hate, Tingle is a struggling individual we hate to love.

It’s this cursed attitude towards Tingle that makes me wish I could be a faerie. Now I see why everyone hate Americans; they’re too critical of everything around them.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! AAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Hehe…oh wow…I’m gonna die of laughter…*wipes laughter tear from eyes* Okay…okay…I’m done now…Hehe…I seriously hope that was a joke, ’cause I’m laughing! And if not…I truly apologize for my terrible laughing fits…*snort-laugh* Yes, I apologize…Can’t help it…

If you’re talking about what I just said, no, I wasn’t joking. And your reaction only deepens my cynicism.

Hi no Seijin said:

you can run down Americans but when it comes to tingle its wrong (who ill warn you is a game BTW) ? go look at what the article is filed under, H-U-M-O-R ,stop taking everything so seriously and grow up.

Hi no Seijin said:

Great Lord Ephraim said:

Yeah, it’s just a humor article, calm down. I think the reason a lot of Americans dislike Tingle for his appearance. Lemme quote it for you.

Masamune said:

Friend. Dreamer. Entrepreneur.
    Tingle.

Filed under Humor, Tingle RPG

If this doesn’t convince you, I’m not coming back to another Tingle-related subject again >_

Great Lord Ephraim said:

I need to grow up? I’m not the one who is hating Tingle for something as stupid as how he dresses. And if you can learn not to hate Tingle just because he’s a bit different, then you should be able to apply that lesson in real life.

• 66. EA says:

Thank you for writing this article, Masamune! I am greatly inspired. For now on I must ask myself What Would Tingle Do?

I think I’ll start by enslaving my siblings…

Psy said:

SS4 Kurama said:

EXACTLY! You people need to listen to this guy!

amazing… how can any one can get so upset overt tingle (who isnt the slightest bit real)

Hi no Seijin said:

Great Lord Ephraim said:

niether am I,I just dont like him.and I dont need to like him just as much as you dont need to hate him.and when it comes down to it,I can recognize the difference between reality and fiction.tingle dosnt feel,dosnt care,isnt real.

Psy said:

Oh, my goddesses! You are absolutely right! We true blue Zelda fans need to try and outnumber these n00bs so we can get a chance to play Tingle RPG without importing it.

you know all you tingle fans made something imppossable happen, you actualy made me hate him more

Kojinka said:

what do you mean “out number” ? nintendos not taking any polls about tingle rpg.

• 73. Psy says:

SS4 Kurama said:

He may not be real, but his game is. And despite if you want it or not, others do. Don’t take that away from them just because you have something against him.

SS4 Kurama said:

Because we proved your reasons for hating him to biased and petty?

Great Lord Ephraim said:

From the poll:
    “Based on your impressions from the Nintendo Power article, would you purchase Tingle’s game if you could? (It is not currently announced for North American release.)”

I’m not really a Tingle fan, I’m just going to be royally ticked off if I don’t get to play a Zelda game because of ridiculous stuff like this.

uhhh no, because everybodys acting like children about it :/

im done with tingle articles now ;)

Psy said:

SS4 Kurama said:

Because we proved your reasons for hating him to biased and petty?

Tingle should go down!!!But not this site: www.hyrulianguardian.blogspot.com

Psy said:

Great Lord Ephraim said:

From the poll:

there going to make it anyway.I dont think nintendo would base anything off of majority anyways.

• 77. Psy says:

Hey, as long as I get the game, I’ll be content.

I like Tingle. ‘Nuff said!

Actually, GLE, Nintendo bases things off of majority all of the time, that’s why they’re doing the poll, to see if it will sell well here and if they should release it here.

Does anyone know what’s the majority of the polls? They should atleast sell them over here, to keep those that want them content until TP. I bet there is mini games in this (one probably being a drawing game)

thats what i was thinking too

Hyrulian Hero said:

Master Link said:

what I meant was if enough people like it they will sell it here even if it loses in the polls.