Twilight Tingle? Say It Ain’t So

August 2nd, 2006 at 11:34 pm by The Missing Link

This is excerpted from the Nintendo survey on what to do with Tingle RPG. (Note that you must register on Nintendo’s site to take this survey). All I can say is that this just cannot bode well…

Yes, I modified the picture. However, yes, these words very much do appear. And… yes… Nintendo apparently still doesn’t have a clue about their normal American demographic. (No, Masamune, you are definitely not normal.)

Filed under Twilight Princess, News, Nintendo, Tingle RPG

Follow This Entry | Leave a Response

55 Messages from the Gossip Stones about “Twilight Tingle? Say It Ain’t So”

Comments

OMG Tingle in TP would scare me and give me horrible nightmares.

I think it would be great to have Tingle in TP! Maybe give a bit more info into his past, make him more. . . useful, etc.

Sorry, Legend of Link made me a Tingle fan!

TML said:

No, Masamune, you are definitely not normal.

He may not be normal, but he’s not alone, either! I happen to like Tingle, and think that he helps to make Zelda more Zelda-ish. It’s like that one theme song: “You take the good/You take the bad/You take them both/and there you have” The Legend of Zelda. Nothing’s perfect, and if you liked every character in a game, it would take away from the game’s believability.

I, however, find nothing wrong with Tingle. I think he’s funny. :b

I am so sick of this anti-Tingle crap. There is nothing wrong with him. TML, I might as well hate you for being different, because most of the time that’s the reason people hate Tingle.

Hating Tingle for his prices in TWW is idiotic too. He has a monoply on the sea chart deciphering business, meaning he can add in a specialty fee if he wants too. And what’s a video game without a challenge. Plus, it’s not that hard to get rupees. Go bushwhacking (term learned from Ice; man, I love that term) for them or go slay some monsters. And it’s not like you can take the rupees you get in the game and spend them in real life.

And then there’s the whole “Tingle wants to be a faerie” deal. That makes him a freak? So what if he wants to be something other than a human? We all, at one point in our lives, wanted to be something other than human. Some of you pretend to be something other than human online.

Give Tingle a break. So what if he’s different. We are all. Get over it already.

I don’t like Tingle either.

Exactly, Hi no Seijin. It doesn’t matter to me if Tingle is in a game or not, I’m nuetral, in a sense. I don’t hate Tingle, but it wouldn’t bothe6 me if he was in Twilight. I completely agree with you, HNS!

Half of that up there is pure dark humour. (Hence my jibe at Masamune all the time. We rib on each other all the time, and it’s funny… at least to us… or at least to me! ;) ) The other half is just an opinion that I’m not fond (read: don’t hate, just don’t like) the little green man. *shrugs*

In all honesty, though, I just cannot see him in Twilight Princess; the context of that game just, at least to me, makes his presence there seem all too wrong. So far, all of the demos we’ve seen have suggested they’re going for a very serious Zelda game; granted, they may mix it up a bit, but it’s been handled very dryly so far.

Be that as it may, you’re all welcome to disagree with my opinion; however, criticism of a Zelda game (Gasp! Yes, taboo as it is…) is still stuff we talk about here. And like it or not, the statistics don’t lie: Japanese tend to like Tingle in much greater percentages than Americans.

Personally, I think the only thing wrong with Tingle is the same thing that’s wrong with every other character with lots to say: text is too slow. Fix that, and he’ll be far less annoying.

Although I’d agree with TML that he doesn’t fit in with what the mood of TP seems to be. (But didn’t somebody say they weren’t planning on making TP any darker than the other games, that was just how the trailer turned out? In which case he might work. I dunno.)

God, what are some of you imagining TP to be like? Final Fantasy VII? The way people go on about Tingle “not fitting into TP” is ridiculous.

TP is a Zelda game. Zelda games always have something quirky in them. TP isn’t going to be totally lacking in the humour or the quirky department, just because it’s been labeled more ‘mature’ and ‘dark’. I’d be upset if Zelda turned into a serious and angsty series that some fanboys seem to be hoping for. It’s not like Zelda to be like that.

I say, put Tingle in there. He belongs in there, seeing as it is a Zelda game, and he’s one of the biggest Zelda characters there is!

^ Exactly. Twilight Princess needs someone like Tingle to lighten the mood.

Imagine this badboy in your DS Lite.

But I thought those clowns were there to replace him in TP, lol. Is he showing in TP? I thought the game is in its final stage of development? So why add him? * shrugs* Anyway, I still dislike him :) .

I don’t mind if they put him in or not, I just want TP to not get delayed again.

Tingle was ok in MM, but very annoying in WW. If they make him like the MM version, that would be fine, but if not he should just stay out of TP.

Seems like even Nintendo are starting to question the popularity of Tingle, hey maybe Nintendo will kill Tingle off if the poll goes against him, lol.

twilight princess looks so real, i cant imagine tingle looking real that would be disturbing..really.

I just cant see tingle in TP.its not going to be as dark of a game as some people think,but it IS going to be realistic looking and tingle isint realistic looking.the result would be grotesque to say the least :) .also tingle is a goofy character,the reaction people give him is probably what nintendo intended (that sounds wierd :P ).

I do NOT like tingle. He really dosen’t seem like a normal person to begin with. In the extra-real TP, Tingle would seem odd.
    As odd as those clowns…. *shudders*

Okay, if they put Tingle in in Japan, but not here, would you guys like that? We’d be MISSING A PART of the GAME!

People here are saying that Twilight Princess is too “dark” and “serious” to have him in it. Look at The Wind Waker. That game was serious, but he fit in just fine. In Twilight Princess, would you like it if EVERYTHING you did was “dark” and “serious”? No, if Zelda didn’t have humor and quirkinness, it wouldn’t be Zelda. Usually, in Zelda, it’s the main que/t that is serious, SOME of the sidequests that are serious, and the rest of the sidequests are just”’well, there or either they’re humorous and quirky. If Twilight Princess is going to be as “dark” as Nintendo says and as “serious”, I think Twilight Princess will need some humor and enlitenment in the mood. If you’ve been reading the Inside Zeldas, in one of the interviews with a music composer for it (Koji Kondo’s assistant), he said that at the beginning of the game it will be very dark and sad, and he wants to make the players feel that, but as the game progresses, the mood will become more relaxed. So, if it becomes more relaxed, then Tingle would work in a later part of the game, not right in the beginning, or even the middle, perhapse. Just because it gets more relaxed, that doesn’t mean that there won’t be dark and evil scenes in there after the beginning, there will be. So, I think Tingle will suit the game, after a while, even though there will still be darker and more evil scenes after it becomes more relaxed, if you look at the overall picture after it becomes more relaxed, Tingle would fit.

Master Link said:

Look at The Wind Waker. That game was serious, but he fit in just fine.

What part of Wind Waker was completely serious? I remember within the first fifteen minutes of the game, Tetra fell hundreds of feet through the air and landed safely in a tree branch (something that should have killed her)… and Link was launched from a cannon, struck a solid stone wall (which should have killed him), and survived!

Sorry, ain’t buying it.

I think I know what my next article is going to be, but here’s a small hint at what it’s going to be. Since when did Nintendo have this urge to keep using each one of their characters over and over and over again? Between Legend of Zelda and Ocarina of Time, the only characters that were reused were Link, Zelda, and Ganon(dorf); that’s it. Since then, Malon, Talon, Tingle, Ingo, among others have been in at least four or five games out of the last eight. Why include Tingle? Why not just make someone else up?

The question you’re proposing about why people are obsessed about not seeing Tingle anymore works the very same way with the other side of the coin: Why are people obsessed about having Tingle show up in any game? Is it wrong to demand a new cast every once in a while… so that each Zelda game isn’t some huge family reunion? Look at Disney: About every movie they make now is a sequel to something that they’ve already done, and they’re hurting because of it. There’s very little originality going on there.

And before you say that having every Zelda character known to man have cameos in every subsequent game is “Zelda-esque” somehow, remember that I just said that this NEVER used to happen. ;)

dark and serious sounds good to me

Master Link said:

I agree with TML. But, it’s not just that tingle wouldn’t fit in this game, chances are that he will absolutely not be in it. I mean, there hasn’t been a single screenshot of tingle in this game at all. So all of you quit complaining.

Well, I wouldn’t like it if they used the same Zelda characters over and over and over again. Then, it would get boring. I do want new characters in Zelda games. I was just saying that in some parts of Twilight Princess he might be able to fit in.

Okay, I didn’t mean serious like that, TML. I meant serious with the story, like at the end when you’re fighting Ganon, or going to the Forsaken Fortress to rescue you’re sister. Besides, you even said on Zelda Radio that it was serious. But, yeah, that’s what I meant.

tingle is funny i hope he is there

Master Link said:

Yes, if Twilight Princess was dark and serious, that would be okay, to a point (whitch it already is). But, if EVERY single thing you did was dark and serious, it just wouldn’t be like Zelda (and it wouldn’t be as realistic as we might think, because not everything humans do is serious, a lot of it is, though). I do think that Twilight Princess won’t be ALL serious, just the main quest, and some sidequests. I’m just saying that in some point in the game, like after the tone becomes more relaxed and you’re free to go anywhere you like, and do sidequests and see wacky people (whitch, I’m sure there will be some), Tingle would fit in. Not every person in the game is going to be wacky, though, and we all know that anyway. then they should replace link with mario

knowing nintendo he WILL be in it, they’ll squeeze him in some were, but i still hope he wont come
    I think since MM he’s been in every game so far.

I didn’t mean like that, yutozu! XD Without Link, Zelda wouldn’t be Zelda, I meant the less important characters, like Malon, and Talon.

The Ultimate said:

On a side note, if he does show up he had better not steal my rupees like in the four swords. uhhhh…I forgot about that.my brother would actually sit and burn him with a fire rod if he tride to take a 150-200 force gem :D (of coarse ide help every now and then) .

anyways,the only way I could see tingle working in TP would be in some out of the way area.as has been mentioned,a new cast of characters would be refreshing since some characters can get boring.im not saying like zelda,link,ganondorf, well you all know the ones.like SS4 Kurama said,tingles been in way too many games:MC,MM,FSA,TWW,OOA,plus hes going to have a game of his own? I say keep him out of the series for a while.

He didn’t bother me too much… until Windwaker, when he charges you your entire wallet for a map. Geez, he even charges you 200 some odd to recieve a letter!

Master Link said:

So what you’re saying is that you don’t want Tingle to be included over and over again (which he has), but this one game is going to be okay? You can’t have your cake and eat it, too.

Where have I argued at all that TP will be 100% serious from top to bottom? Answer: Nowhere; you’re putting an argument in my posts that doesn’t exist… then refuting it because it’s easy to refute.

My argument is that he won’t fit in TP. Let me explain how that is:

TP is portraying what appears to me to be a very realistic setting. The characters, the situations, the plot, the scenery… they all have to seem like they could exist to make this happen.

Tingle is not such a character. He has a balloon strapped to his back that helps him to fly, and we all know that violates basic physics… and I doubt Tingle has magic at all. Going beyond this, TP suggests a classic medieval setting, and very few people go around in spandex tights yelling “Kooloo-limpah!” at everyone. This is something that “breaks the fourth wall,” so to speak.

On the other hand, Tingle fit into the other games he was in because:

Majora’s Mask - Alternate universe; the rules can be different… like gravity in the Stone Tower Temple.
    Ocarina of Ages - Who cares about continuity in that game anyway?
    Wind Waker - Cartoony graphics allow for cartoony characters.
    Four Swords Adventures - Quasi-cartoony style and serves directly as an antagonist.

The underlying theme of TP, however, is different from these, I would argue. Granted, is it possible for him to fit? Sure. However, Tingle as Tingle is seems to go against the grain of the game as we’ve seen it to date. I have no doubt in my mind that there will be humorous and odd bits in TP; however, each of those situations will likely have some possibility of really coming to pass given their attempt to make that specific world.

Okay, let me get my thoughts straight. I was just saying that Tingle could fit in there, not that I wanted him in it or not, I don’t care if he’s in it or not. Yes, I do want different Zelda characters, but I wasn’t saying that I wanted Tingle.

I guess I should’ve said who I was talking to in the second paragraph. Sorry if I confused you, TML.

I guess I should’ve said who I was talking to in the second paragraph. Sorry if I confused you, TML, or made you think that was directed towards you.

Link XIII said:

201 rupees to be precise

Hi no Seijin said:

Forgive me, but methinks you forgotten that Tingle needs rupees in order to reach Rupee Land, so basically, he uses the “I want a fairy/I want to BE a fairy!” story just to gain pity and so people can buy his maps, sure we HAVE to depend on him in some games, but we don’t hate him for the way he dresses, and that he was too spoiled or suffers a mental problem, we hate him because he does what he can to scam the poor Hylians out of their hard-earned money just to reach a place that sounds like it belongs in a Kirby game.

You forgotten the part where, after placing the Pearls at the Statues of the Goddesses, the last one blows up and sends Link hurdling towards The Tower of the Gods and they had a comedic sound effect upon contact, then he fell to the water at speeds of reallyreallyfast, which the water tension should’ve injured/kill him at that height. Also, the part where Tetra catches Link when he fell from the edge, that should’ve pulled them both down to a watery grave.

TML… If you think Tingle won’t fit in because of the ‘realism’, apparently you haven’t seen these fellows here. Tingle started off as looking ‘realistic’, it’s just that his TWW incarnation popularized a cartoony version of him.

Masamune said:

TML… If you think Tingle won’t fit in because of the ‘realism’, apparently you haven’t seen these fellows here. eww.they could be bards :) .

Or they wear lots of makeup XP I usually see Tingle as a cartoon being, considering his goatee, his short body, his large nose (that somebody punched :D ) and he flies with a balloon, so he’s probably going to be considered cartoony, but if he does appear in TP (please don’t be) he’ll appear to Link in his child age to annoy him (since I’ve never seen his around an adult Link)

Are you sure Link ages in Twilight Princess? Because, remember at E3 2005, Taoru Village is the place you start out in? Link might age, but I don’t think we will see him as a kid (unless he has flash-backs).

Masamune said:

^ Exactly. Twilight Princess needs someone like Tingle to lighten the mood.

Imagine this badboy in your DS Lite.

IT BURNS! *shields eyes*

Is it safe? OK…
    I don’t think Tingle should be in Twilight Princess. As a few people were saying, the style is too realistic and he wouldn’t really fit. I know Majoras Mask was pretty realistic, but Tingle wasn’t quite as involved in the story as he was in Wind Waker. You HAD to free him from jail and buy maps from him there. In MM, you didn’t have to meet him at all. Sure, you would be mapless, but still.
    Masamune, those guys could be circus performers. That would fit, because thats realistic. A thirty-five year old man in a green spandex suit floating with a balloon and selling maps, well…
    I’m not saying I won’t buy TP if Tingle’s in it or anything, I just dont think he’d fit. But who knows? Nintendo was shocked us before.

When Nintendo said “realistic”, I think they just meant the graphics, not what was really in th game (tuch as Tingle). Even so, Tingle could just be a minor character that you could do something fun with. (Like in The Wind Waker with the GBA). They couldo something with the GBA or DS involving Tingle, but not make him involved with the storyline as much as he was in The Wind Waker.

If nintendo wants to shed the dang “Little Kiddy” false rep they have they need to keep Tingle and things like him out for a while. Also tingle is just a little to unrealistic. And those guy looked like something close to bards but closer to actors. The word the French used was jongleur. Its where the word Juggler comes from I believe. They were like actor/acrobat/bard/clown mixtures. They did tumbling and fire eating, sang songs and told stories. They would be very middle ages to put in. The middle ages did have some happiness, and it came in the form of jongleurs and alchohol.

Also in TWW peopl were a little wacky. Not at all serious. They also bobbed all over the place when they talked and moved their hands more than an Italian on a sugar high.

I meant the story, Light Link.

Master Link said:

Mmm, I do believe they did say Link is indeed supposed to age from child to adult, though I’m thinking they did not mean meant it in a physical sense.

As for Tingle, I’m neutral. Personally I don’t care for his character, and I’m afraid he’s going to steal my Rupees. However I do see him fitting in with the game (MM is arguably the darkest game of the series, not including TP, and he worked fine in that, graphically also), and actually he doesn’t annoy me that much.

If he’s in it, he’s in it; if he’s not, he’s not. Really not a big deal either way.

Ugh, stop with this “Tingle isn’t realistic” nonsense! Zelda isn’t realistic guys! Honestly, do you all think it’s realistic to grab a chicken and glide with it? Or that when bad guys are killed they go out with a poof of smoke? Or that little skeleton children walk around fields at night or cows talk in holes in the ground?

And is it realistic that Link’s hair stays so tidy and clean no matter what he’s doing? I mean come on, the character designs themselves aren’t entirely realistic, they certainly seem to be manga-esque to me. I thought Tingle in MM was probably the most realistic looking character of them all, minus his outfit.

Let’s face it, if all of the things above are possible, then someone like Tingle is possible in the Zelda world. Within his own world, I’d say Tingle is pretty damn realistic. There’s no point in comparing what is realistic in our world and what is realistic in Zelda, because they’ve got something we don’t.

They’ve got magic, homies. And magic can make anything happen. Yes, even Tingle. We seem to be forgetting that Zelda is an action and fantasy themed game, not The Sims.

But he’s too little kiddy. And also two clowns is enough, they won’t need three.

vixxe said:

But Tingle doesn’t. ;)

And who says we’ll be able to glide with chickens? We were only able to do that on the N64 Zeldas.

Hyrulian Hero said:
    …we hate him because he does what he can to scam the poor Hylians out of their hard-earned money just to reach a place that sounds like it belongs in a Kirby game.

Gabora and Zubora might as well be scamming us with the Razor Blade. Or, going into real life, Nintendo could be scamming us with their games. Tingle really wants to be a faerie, but until he can be one, he has to make a living too, just like every other 35 year old.

We can glide with chickens in Twilight Princess. I’ve been reading a LOT of inteviews with Aonuma and Miyamoto, and you can do a LOT more stuff in the game than in Ocarina of Time, but the chicken gliding is in it. Even in the E3 2005 demo of Taoru Village, the people could take a cucco and glide off of roofs and stuff. Did you know when Link approaches bushes, if there’s birds in it or something else, if it is scared, it will run or fly away? Did you know that you can push the a button by the goats and ride them, or stand in front of s3em, press the A button, and wrestle them to the ground? Link can get on Epona three different ways now, and you can steal monsters boars, and if you want a bigger list of what you can do, just let me know. (I just felt like listing some stuff you can do to get the excitement out of my system, I had to.)

Tingle, I think, should really very well a part of any Zelda game. Although a moderate dosage would suffice. As long as he stays out of Link’s way throughout the story line is fine with me. I think he should stay in the side-quests just like everyone else.

Hi no Seijin said:

Let us be, for just one moment, perfectly honest with ourselves.

Tingle is a plot device. Reasons:

(1) Your first wallet provides allows exactly 200 rupees (thanks to the Wallet Monster). To get the IN-credible Map, you need to pay a 201-rupee C.O.D. charge. Coincidence? I think not. The letter is to force you to visit the rupee fairies… that they so blatantly give you the map to when you visit Windfall.

(2) The high rupee requirement of the game following this 201-rupee surcharge 3,284 rupees is to force you to explore. It’s a stall tactic. Because by the time one has gone straight through the game, dungeon to dungeon without exploring anything but the “necessary islands”, you will not have 3,284 rupees. You have to go scrounging around… truly finding out how big the world is… just to hide the fact that there aren’t many dungeons in the game. (Anyone see the parallels to Majora’s Mask here?)

You can say it’s “realistic” all you want. He’s just there to get in the way. Granted, much of this is the result of Nintendo not having enough time to wedge extra dungeons into the game, but let’s not kid ourselves. Beyond the superficial reality that is presented in Wind Waker, as a “literary” figure, he is a plot device, plain and simple.

Only in that game, TML. In almost every other game that he is in, it’s not necessary to talk to him at all. Sure if you don’t talk to him and by his maps in Majora’s Mask, you you’ll be mapless. But, you don’t need them to get around. Besides that, in every other game you don’t even need to talk to him (I haven’t played all of the way through Minish Cap, so I’m not sure about that one, or the Oracle games). But, I do agree with you in The Wind Waker. I’m not saying that you were suggesting that he was like that in every game, I was just pointing it out.

If he is in Twilight Princess, I hope that he is just a side-quest character that you don’t need to talk to. But you can if you want to spend some rupees, lol.

Master Link said:

Only in that game, TML.

True. I wasn’t talking about the other games since most of the discussion prior was about Wind Waker; nevertheless, but you have a point.

Master Link said:

hes part of the plot in OOA (not a big one but still).in MC hes minor,but him and his brothers liter the once peaceful hyrule :) .

He is quite minor in TMC, but atleast he’s not in your way, of course, after fusing ALL of the Kinstones, he gives you a Tingle Statue and you are incapable of finding anymore Kinstones (but you can still buy them, but that would be pointless) and I want to turn that statue into a golden toilet seat :D

They better keep him out of future games.

They better keep him out of future games.

chances are hes going to be in PH.then again it sounds like there going to be traveling so who’s to say?

If tingle be in tp I wonder how he is goint to look ?