The Legend of Cell-da

July 7th, 2006 at 1:53 am by The Missing Link

Thanks to Joystiq, I found a very interesting news item today…

The newest Zelda game to hit the world… is The Legend of Cellda! And no, we’re not talking cel-shaded, my friends. We’re talking cell phones.

There’s a fanproject going on to make a port of the original Legend of Zelda… for your cell phone. Yes, you heard me correctly: for your cell. Even better, they’re upgrading the graphics of the game to something akin to The Minish Cap, and it’s possible they’re adding onto the game as well, although I’m not wholly certain. They’re currently in the development stage and are maybe 30 to 50 percent done with it; however, it looks as if they’ve got a good bit of work done considering they have demos available. Even better, in the event that you don’t have a cell phone (or are like me and don’t know how to download such a thing to it), there’s a PC version for the grabbing.

Before I get ahead of myself here, I should note that I normally don’t jump all over projects like this. Nintendo, as we all know, is a firm advocate against piracy and intellectual property theft, and while this isn’t a straight copy of a game they’ve produced, they still have some dubious stamp of copyright on this since it’s a derivative work. In short, this is one of those times when the legality of such a thing is… well… unknown and untested. (No one’s ever had the gall to hire Phoenix Wright and take Nintendo to court over such a small project!) However, this is one of those projects that is remarkably neat that I feel it’s newsworthy enough to post; I just figured I’d give you some “buyer beware” before you frolic over there and download without questioning it.

You can read about it and download the demos at the Zelda Mobile site; however, as of right this moment, it seems as if they’re getting a HUGE amount of traffic, so their server is crawling along at a snail’s pace, so be forewarned.

Filed under News, Fanstuff, Legend of Zelda

Follow This Entry | Leave a Response

34 Messages from the Gossip Stones about “The Legend of Cell-da”

Comments

Input in Java is really hard: it has a big delay, and some events aren’t called when buttons are pressed or released too simutaneously, which makes many videogames in Java rather a gimmick than something fun. Also add the fact that any Java program are much slower than regular programs because it must run the Java Virtual Machine to emulate a Java processor.

Now mix with that a cellphone: isn’t powerful at all, don’t have any kind of controller and the screen is smaller than your old Gameboy. The final result can only become a tech demo at best.

Besides, the BS version of The Legend of Zelda was already bad, and it was made by Nintendo…

Conclusion: I don’t give much hope in this project, but it’ll be fun to see up to what they are able to do with this clone…

I don’t like Java, but given how much it’s already used for mobile phone games without significant problems, I get the feeling that you’re either doing something wrong, using a buggy compiler/VM, or greatly exaggerating the problems. Screen size is an issue, but it can be worked around, and cell phones these days are plenty powerful enough for projects like this.

I’m just wondering whether they’ll have the perseverance to stick to this. Making video games becomes a lot more boring once you finish the engine and just have to fill in the content.

Hmmm im not sure how to feel about this, the original Zelda game is a classic and it would be like going back to the original Star Wars movie and… oh wait a minute he did and he made it worse, darn LEAVE ZELDA ALONE.

I actually think it would be kinda nifty to see LoZ with updated graphics. And to start counteracting Microsoft’s thing with the whole mobile deal is a good idea too. But I would rather have it be done by Nintendo themself. And maybe not on a cell. A PDA would be more sutible in my mind, but not many people have them. So it really is a trying and will probably be failing situation.

I cant honestly see myself sitting down to play LOZ on a cell phone.its a uniqe idea,but I doubt it will work.sorry to be such a cridict,but ive already played a game on a cell phone,it doesent work so good :P .

I’ll stick to the the Game Boy for portable Zelda gaming. And I would rather have Nintendo work on it, like Josephina said.

I tested the emulated version. It isn’t very good. The keys were just laying about and I could just skip the enemies.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! No! No! No! Not on a cell-phine. Cell-phone games are gimmicks and Zelda should never be used as a *navi* *navi* gimmick. Next we’ll be seeing TLoZ Trading Card Games at Wal*Mart. I hope Nintendo sues them BIG for this.

A TCG would be cool, but that’s me :D And go easy on the *NAVI* didn’t TML already get on you for that? I would only get it if the music is good, because Zelda has good music to listen to.

to subject:i just cant see a game working on a cell phone the buttons are too small and squoished (how ever you spell that :/)

to HH: i agree, a TCG would be so cool! i always wanted them to make one. :)

Next we’ll be seeing TLoZ Trading Card Games at Wal*Mart..

Hyrulian Hero said:

A TCG would be cool.

About time they have made a mobile version of Zelda, I was wondering when they would get around to doing it.

I’ve watched the Zelda cartoons on my cell phone, its plenty powerful enough to run a simple little java game. Even the TI Calculators can run games on them, and yes, I have a collection of Zelda games for them.

I better hide the last two commentors, before everyone else turns angry mob :D Just kidding. I prefer to play on the GBA, that is until TP comes out. Speaking of returning games, once before I found TML’s website, TGA, I found this website with people trying to remake some of the 3D Zelda games 2D, and playable on the computer (I’m not sure if it was an emulator or not) Anyways, vI don’t know if cell-phone games are that popular, so we’ll know if they stop making them, like the BS-Zelda.

It happened to sonic. It was bound to happen to zelda. but anyway I think thats cool. And about the PC version. Its not the only computer zelda. Did we forget Zelda Classic ^_^

KILL THE INFEDELS, KILL THEM, BURN THEM… wow sorry about that ill try to restrain my darker impulses, a Zelda mobile phone game is just plain wrong, I dont like and I sure as heck dont want the *Naving* thing.

• 16. Ice says:

I’m always surprised at the negative reactions to new projects like this. Fans that try to add some neat stuff to the community are routinely blasted for it.

The Legend of Zelda series is one that should “inspire” people, more than other games. The “spirit of exploration” is central to the games. Well, it used to be. Wind Waker is the only title recently that had that element … but now I’m rambling =D

These folks are spending a lot of time and effort to bring us something we don’t have yet. Be polite!

To Robert:

Dr.H.Hero: Time for the “happy place” Robert *holds up two tranquilizer guns*
    HH: Heheheh.

To Subject:
    Anyways, I agree with Ice (in the inspiration part) maybe we should go back to the older games, and show Nintendo we want more exploration, less Heart Pieces or something. Maybe this “Cell-da” game will have that exploration since it’s another remake (like the Watch Game, or better known as the Game and Watch, or Game & Watch) of LoZ. Hopefully TP and PH will have the exploration feel to them, but still, I’ll pro and con “Cell-da.”

To pro it, it’s an original game, you can play it almost anywhere, good music, possibly better graphics.
    To con it, cellphone buttons are small, screen is small, original graphics (sorry :D ) can’t play it at weddings and theaters.
    Well, it’s tied, both win and lose. Does anyone know it’s gameplay, the gameplay will prove if this is a good game or bad.

Well, I didn’t really like the first two Zelda games, and I don’t have a cellphone. But it could be interesting.

Hyrulian Hero said:

TML’s website, TGA

How do you write it? (tga.com, perhaps? Oh, I don’t know…)

Zelda Fan, it should be in the site listing (like all good Zelda sites), but for reference, it’s nintendoland.com/zelda.

Giving what Ice and Hyrulian Hero said, I’d still rather use a cell phone for it’s original purpose: communication.

I know this is gonna be hard to belive (Its the 21st Century after all, lol) but I still dont have a mobile phone so a project like this holds no interest to me, if I want to play Zelda on the move then ill just whip out my Gold Zelda GBA or my new, swanky and oh so cool DS Lite.

Dr.R-UK: Now that little Robert is in his happy place what new experiments shall we conduct on him Dr.H Hero?

Dr. H Hero: Maybe we should finally dress him in Tingle’s unremoveable skin tight clothing… oh and we should include that
    Zora mask of yours, you know how much he likes Zoras ehehehehehe.

Dr R-UK: Mwahahahahahar yes Princess Ruto will enjoy our little gift.

It’s hard for me to get into older Zelda games (before ALttP I meant) even if I wanted to, so I’m not interested. I have an idea for Nintendo, remake all 2D games before TMC and make them 3D games (including the CD-i games) the only other change(s) will be a better storyline, no spoken dialogues(its all written), and more exploration. That would be a cool thing, but it will never happen, so all we got to look for now is a LoZ on the cellphones.

the oracle games would be awsome in 3D :D .anyways,I think the main problem with this thing is the size of a cell phone.it would be next to imposible to play any kind of zelda game on a cell phone considering there so small (unless yours is huge,but then your kind of defeating the purpose of having a cell phone in the first place ;) ).there is the PC version,but I think the whole idea is to have a zelda game on the go (but I think game boy or the ds are better options).

Hyrulian Hero the CD-I games must NEVER see the light of day again… ever, be it the original 2d games or 3d remakes if said games were to ever be released then the forces of Hell shall be released upon the Earth.

I liked the BS version of LOZ :P

what is it? a gameboy thats…gold??? :?

if I want to play Zelda on the move then ill just whip out my Gold Zelda GBA .

Hyrulian Hero the CD-I games must NEVER see the light of day again…

Your over-dramatic, all they got to do is redo the storyline and actually give you places to explore, and take out the spoken dialogue and replace them with the original text dialogue (no one will recognize the games, except for the lands) and making the bosses harder (about 20-50 hits for any boss :D ) and making the games worth playing, I believe the exact opposite will happen to what you said :D It’ll probably a good game with actual dungeons, lands worth exploring, not to much acting (for the grunts and gasps and other people sound effect) and an actual landscape to explore, I think this will be a good game (if anyone will redo said games.) Ok we’re getting off topic again. Hopefully, this sgame still has that great gameplay and exploration of the original. I have a favorites list of maps from most games, and I have a map of Hyrule from LoZ, and it’s quite large, worth exploring too.

SS4 Kurama said:

what is it? a gameboy thats…gold??? :?

Ita a Gold GBA with the Triforce Symbol on it.

Hyrulian Hero said:

Hyrulian Hero YOU are pure evil, if you EVER say anything like this again then i shall banish you to the Dark World for all eternity where Tingle shall be your only companion, mwahahahahahahar.

Dr.H.Hero: Robert, do you want to go back to your “happy place?”
    HH: Fine, then we’ll also turn the cartoons into a game also. That’d be a good idea :D I just have different ideas of whats evil and whats good, so don’t shun me for my wild ideas and dreams :)

Even though the game sounds tempting to buy, I won’t, not now atleast, maybe after college. Then I have a Zelda game wherever I go :D Even when the take-out restaurant line takes 10 minutes to serve someone.

Cell phone Zelda?! YES! Now I can game as I go!

Musica said:

Cell phone Zelda?! YES! Now I can game as I go!

THERE YOU GO!!! Optimism, we all need it. Robert, why don’t you think my ideas are good ones? From the looks of the graphics, it looks like it’ll be FS based. This is cool, but they have to atleast make Link’s hair brown, or it won’t have on of the Old School Zelda Feel to it. Who agrees with me?

Jack the Ripper said:

I liked the BS version of LOZ :P

YOU’VE PLAYED IT!?!?!!?!?? PLEASE TELL ME HOW!!!!! (some sort of emulator would be nice……if possible……)oh, and, call me inhuman, if you like, but I’d also like to try the cd-i games……*curls up in fright* but, putting that aside, I don’t really know whether I’ll get the game. Both because I don’t have a cell phone, and I didn’t like the first (two) Zelda games (WHY COULDN’T THEY CHOOSE SOMETHING BETTER LIKE ALTTP OR LA!?!?!?!!???!!!!?!??! I MEAN, THOSE ARE GOOD GAMES!!!!!) (excuse me……).

ZELDAFAN!n_n said:

I see someone doesn’t think I’m evil, after all. Maybe a remake of the BS Zelda, 3D BS Zelda, I like it! I’ll make this a wonderful series, I’ll Call it, The Zelda Pop-up Series, the “Pop-up” part means to change from the bland 2D games (and cartoons) and turn it all into 3D games. I would use my phone for emergencies too, so “The Legend of Cell-da” will never be in my fingertips, but when I do make a website appreciating all games (and cartoons) I’ll add TLoC in the remake area (I’ll have too, since there are many remakes)

i think it would be cool to see the legend of zelda with changes so im for it as long as it doesnt suck