How Much Is That Wii in the Window?

May 25th, 2006 at 2:17 pm by The Missing Link

Gamespot is announcing that Nintendo has announced the price point for their new system Wii… kinda, sorta, not really.

Although for now the pricing is not exact, [the Wii] will not exceed $250 in America or 25,000 yen [roughly US$225] in Japan. No estimate was announced for the European market, but the indication given was that it would be a “similar, affordable price.”

Thank you, Nintendo, for telling us absolutely nothing. To date, Nintendo has been on record for saying that the Wii would be cheaper than an Xbox 360; well, they cost US$300, and since the magical numbers that represent prices always seem to fall–initially–on $50 increments, guess what the max price has been all this time? If you’re answer is anything but $250, you’ve been duped by the Wallet Monster again.

I still believe that it would be a horrible mistake to set Wii’s price point at $250. If the Xbox 360 makes a price drop when the PS3 comes out–and mark my words, they will–their next price point will almost guaranteed be… you guessed it: $250. It is critically necessary, I believe, to keep Wii under that price because (a) the knee-jerk reaction the Joe Gamers of the world have these days is the graphical prowess of the box, and Wii doesn’t compare to the 360, and (b) it will entice both sceptical gamers as well as two-console gamers to pick up the system because of the cheap price.

Filed under News, Nintendo

Follow This Entry | Read Other Posts by The Missing Link

42 Messages from the Gossip Stones about “How Much Is That Wii in the Window?”

Comments

well, at least it’s not too expensive, yay!

The X-Box 360 costs between £250 to £350 depending on which one you buy so the Wii should cost about £200 in the UK.

The thing is though, Bob, most of us live in the US. Euros/Pounds mean nothing too most of us. TWO FREAKING FIFTY! YES. Tag will look like this though: $249.99 just to confuse people. It would seem though that the big N likes to repeat itself.

well at least we know it wont be like ps3 :) .still,leave it to nintendo to be so vague.

Now what would that be in CDN dollars? :P

Darth Citrus said:

Now what would that be in CDN dollars? :P

I could be like Light Link 007 and say that Canada doesn’t matter, but that would be completely uncouth of me. ;)

Darth Citrus said:

Now what would that be in CDN dollars? :P

$276.85

Currency converters are your friend. ;)

Its nice to know the wii will be affordable (I can sleep peacefully tonight)

Darth Citrus said:

Now what would that be in CDN dollars? :P

Yeah see I have problems with that kind of thing. Anyway seeing as how canadian Dollars are cheaper its obviously not CDN as PSY pointed out

Darth Citrus said:

Now what would that be in CDN dollars? :P

Google today says that “25000 yen in canadian dollars” is 249.933235 Canadian dollars. It’s easy: chop it by a hundred!

Anyway IGN has also the same news today. Personally I think that the Wii will be about the same price as a Nintendo DS Lite.

I doubt it will be $150-ish. The tech the Wii packs would cost that much to manufacture. Nintendo doesn’t copy Sony, Sony copies Nintendo.

SmashManiac said:

I was going by USD –> CDN. Why would it cost roughly $25 more than Japan’s price in the US but not in Canada?

So am I the only one who thinks “will not exceed $250″ is code for $249.99?

I say it’s going to be… $200!From looking at the little price tings on some books, I notice that in Canadian money, it would cost more in Canada than in USA (sorry DC, maybe someone you know in US will send you a Wii)Does the Wii really have backwards playability?It seems to be a little low for something that can play older games, and even some Sega games.

But here’s the thing: The Wii costs $250, the controler costs $20 or $30, Memory cards cost…..what like $50? And you gotta get a game or two…..another $50 for each game……So that’s like around 350 to 400 anyway.So here’s my master plan: Get Twilight Princess for the Cube…Then wait a year,Because the price will go down…Trust me.

Darth Citrus said:

Now what would that be in CDN dollars? :P

Thats around 300$ canadian Darth

Hyrulian Hero said:

Well, the only backwards cap. they added to the hardware is for Gamecube games. The older games are retrieved through the Virtual Console, which even if they don’t convert al lthe games to one data format, still only requires software emulation, no hardware add ons.

spikerman said:

With what you mentioned, I’m pretty sure they will pacage at less one controller with the system, and also, Nintendo stated (I’m pretty sure, someone confirm this if they know for sure) that the Wii will use USB ports to store data. Plug in any generic Flash Drive and go.

Umm, not to be rude or anything, and I know that perhaps Nintendo hasn’t done well against other companies in the past, but don’t you think they have people whose jobs are to make sure this thing sells well? Last time I checked it was called marketing. And as far as the thing about the price, who says that no more than $250 will mean $250? Oh by the way is the 360 that much greater than the Wii? I mean sure Halo 3 hasn’t come out yet but you don’t hear people ranting and raving about technologically advanced their 360 is do you? I mean the Wii is doing something completely different, not just better graphics, better whatevers. We(ii) are talking about a new level or interactivity here. This is what gamers dream about. Sure the way it works may be clunky, but I’ve noticed that the original pong wasn’t exactly a smooth running system, but did that make it any less great. It is great because it is new. So yeah, totally off topic. Bye

At $250 they’d better at least throw in Wii Sports with the package.

Steve_Racer said:

. . . but don’t you think they have people whose jobs are to make sure this thing sells well? Last time I checked it was called marketing.

Last I checked, Sony had one of these, too, and you certainly don’t see people jumping up and down, hooting and hollaring for the PS3 and it’s wonderful $600 of glory, now do you? ;)

Now, as to the substance of your post, let me be the first to tell you that I’ve been a Nintendo loyalist back since the days of the NES. I’d personally love to let Nintendo win every generation of the Console Wars, but I’ve learned that other systems have their advantages: The PS2 had backwards compatibility, PSP looks really slick, and the 360… well… yes, it has really nice graphics. Really nice. The reason I don’t have one is that they don’t have a plethora of games I’d be willing to play on it, thus making the purchase… well… silly. Little bang for a lot of bucks.

Now I’ve talked to several people at work about the three upcoming consoles. Almost every one of them are impressed by the 360’s graphical prowess, yet not everyone has bought one, primarily because it doesn’t have a great bang-per-buck ratio yet. Yet most everyone is also impressed by Wii, all the way to the point where they might buy one before a 360. (And none of these guys owned a ‘Cube, by the by.) The reason? The bang-per-buck ratio is better… BUT it’s still up in the air based upon the final price of the console. At $250, this does become a difficult sell to some people because… when compared against a 360, Wii’s price won’t justify the value behind it, and they won’t buy one.

This is basic economics, folks. The lower a price is, the higher the demand is. And I do believe, in all honesty, that there will be a spike downward in demand if Nintendo dares to price Wii at the same price as an el cheapo 360.

At the end of the day we all know that its going to cost less than the PS3 ant the X-Box 360 so we cant complain too much. Im gonna buy two of theM, one for me and one for my nephew.

honestly, i think it will cost between $200 and $225. if it were to cost $250, then i think it would be bad because it would be only $50 less than the cheapest version of the Xbox360, and nintendo has said time and time again that their’s will be significantly less than their competitors.

whatever the price im gona get it!

Well can I just say that I’m 15 and the only money I have toward the Wii is a $50 gift card to Target that I got for my birthday and $50 cash that I got for my Confirmation. So far, I would have to pay my own $150+ for it (cause my parents think it is a waste of my money, but when have they ever played Zelda?). I really hope it’s only $200!

News just in and the Wii could be as little as £120 in England, life is good.

Ummmmmmmph… I still have to buy a NDS…

I have to say that Nintendo’s tradition when it comes to console prices has always been “make it less expensive than everyone else’s consoles.” So, even if the 360 gets dropped to $249.95 (you know that they never make it evenly be some amount of cash), the Wii will be set at a lower price.

Wow, I think that was 5 different values for the same conversion of 250 US to CDN moneys. :P

I really am not worried about the cost. We’ve waited over 2 *Naving* years for Twilight Princess. I’ll pay the extra few bucks to get it on launch day.

Nabooru is my idol said:

lol same situation as me!

We should force Nabooru’s parents and everyone else to play ALL the Zelda Games, lol.

im just wondering how much twilight princess for Gamecube will sell for (btw i have no plans on getting the wii)

Well, here’s the thing I’m wondering about: how much draw power does the el cheapo 360 have? I havn’t been able to find any hard numbers on the ratio of el cheapo/complete package being sold, but I’ve been under the impression that most people have adopted the full package instead of the el cheapo package. If anyone could find the actual stats, that would be great, just so I know if there’s actually something to back this up.

Now maybe droping the price of the el cheapo will increase demand for that version, but it seems to me that the average consumer is focused on the high end price. I know that the first number that comes up when I think of the 360 price is $400, not $300. In the same vein, the first price I remember for the PS3 is $600, not the price for the el cheapo. Of course, by the very fact I’m on a place like Zeldablog, I’m not an average consumer.

Obviously, the more Nintendo can help their console be the “wallet freindly” console, the better, but I don’t think that $250 would be too big a mistake competition-wise.

Darth Citrus said:

Now what would that be in CDN dollars? :P

Don’t be dissin’ the Canadians Darth. It’ll come back to haunt you in the worst ways.

Punk Princess Tetra said:

He is Canadian, eh. ;)

Whats all this aboot, eh.

Lauren said:

Nabooru is my idol said:

lol same situation as me!

Same as me but im 10 and all the money i have is my allowance for the past 2 weeks hopefuy they will lower the price to 12$ then im in luck.

Lucky(at the same time unlucky)for me my Bar Mitzvah is coming up so I get thousands of dollars(though my parents will put it into savings so I might just get about 400$ or less) then my birthday(200$) is a few weeks after that. Then in December I get some more money(200$) So I’m pretty lucky this year in money.

Luckily ( and at the same time unluckily) I have a job so buying both wont be a problem…. god I hate work, lol.

BTW Why is your Bar Mitzvah a Lucky/Unlucky occasion M Warrior, isnt that when you become a man, I ahd to wait untill I was 18 to become a man, lol.

Ill get nintendo revolution so afterwards i can get like 50 old games like mystical ninja

Well Robert UK, The unlucky part is that I have to read from the Torah(remember it’s in Hebrew) and I’m the slowest reader because I have a little trouble reading it. The lucky part is the money and the party!:D

spikerman said:

No memory card required.(like the X-Box) It comes with a controller. With a game it’s only $300. Bug deal. PS3 is $600 and 360 is $300. So it’s Wii-$300, X-box 360-$360, and PS3-$660.

Truth is, Johnathan M. Doe isn’t too interested in a US$250 ‘weak’ console when there is a 40000000000000000000000000000p HDTV console that has t3h aw3s0m3 sports games, FPSes, sports games, FPSes… on it for only a little more. Johnny makes a decision the second he compares the two in graphics.

US$250 = Bad