Twilight Princess: The Gamecube Demo vs. The Wii Demo

May 20th, 2006 at 3:35 pm by ShawnaDuck

There’s been a lot of discussion about the release of Twilight Princess for the Gamecube and the Wii. Will they be released separately? Aside from the compatibility with the Wiimote, will there be any other differences between the two versions?

After playing the Wii version of Twilight Princess at this year’s E3, though the immersive gameplay of the Wiimote was interesting (and took a little getting used to), what struck me the most about the Wii version of the game is how strikingly *prettier* Twilight Princess looks now, compared to how it looked a year ago. When Twilight Princess was showcased at E3 ‘05, the game was obviously gorgeous, but this year’s demo was even nicer on the eyes.

What is the main difference? The anti-aliasing. In the Gamecube demo, the edges of objects were a little rough, but the textures were blurred to help reduce the effect. The slight blurring created a very subtle, dreamy feel. In the Wii demo, the edges were smooth, which made the overall appearance very sharp and clear.

In addition, the new trailers for Twilight Princess exhibit better physics in Epona’s tail (it shwooshes around more), plus Link’s hair is more defined.

Are the added clarity and better realism due to the Wii’s increased processing power (making the game prettier on that version), or are they a result of the extra year Nintendo worked on the game (meaning that both games will be just as dazzling)? The Twilight Realm certainly looks different since Nintendo took the extra time to tinker with it: the once black-and-white terrain now has interesting filters and a very surreal color scheme.

Whatever the case may be, the game is fantastic and the long wait appears to be worth it.

Filed under Twilight Princess, E3 2006

Follow This Entry | Read Other Posts by ShawnaDuck

38 Messages from the Gossip Stones about “Twilight Princess: The Gamecube Demo vs. The Wii Demo”

Comments

I sure am going to get the Gamecube one, because it is going to be a while, or if, I get the Wii.. Bout for now, the Gamecube TP looks stuning. Good article!!

Some guys in the line ketp saying Twilight Princess could benefit from more anti-aliasing. And apparently Nintendo admitted every game at E3 was running on non-final Wii dev kit hardware encased in GCN-like boxes. Either way, the game looked awesome. I really want to play it on Wii to get that widescreen mode…I hadn’t played a game in 16:9 yet…now I am starting to see what I am missing.

HMMMmmm…interesting.Maybe THAT’S the reason why Nintendo had delayed this, it WOULD’VE came out last year, but they had time to work on the Wii, so they probabl worked on the Wii version, too.

I think since it will take time to get used to the wii that the wii version of Twilight Princess will be a lot harder to us then the normaly well known plenty used gamecube virsion (and zelda is hard enough).

I was unsure, but not now. I am set now. I will get the GCN version, because I don’t like widescreen, change, or hard controls. They really should have packaged these together though.

Well, although I’m sure I’ll be able to purchase the Wii all on my own by the fourth quarter, I think I’ll be playing Twilight Princess GCN first (my mother had pre-ordered it for me as a surprise). I’m looking forward to playing both versions, anyhow.

chubes said:

JediAnn Solo said:

YAY!! Finnaly someone agrees with me!!

I’m getting the GCN version (’tis cheaper) plus, I wouldn’t like to wave or aim the arrow by using my whole hand to do so.I came up a name for the Balrog-like creature in the Goron Mines, it’ll be called, the Balron (that is until we learn the real name). Atleast the Wii version will get us off the couch/floor/ect and give us some exercise.

Im going to get both versions but im going to complete the GameCube version first and then start on the Wii version. hey maybe we can use the Wiimote to swing that rope and bring the cows down, lol.

When I first saw the new E3 trailer, I actually noticed the difference in the graphics/anti-aliasing, and even the change in Epona’s tail, and my mind just screamed, “So this is why the held it back…” I was pretty amazed, and although I still think it was a bad marketting decision, I accept it for a better quality game, especially at THIS quality.

My question is whether they made those changes strictly for the Wii-version, or for both. I’m hoping for both because I’m going to get the GCN version first, then the Wii-version after I buy the Wii. My expectations are flying high…

LOL I need to get the gamecube version I dont want to have to get used to the controls on the wii they look kinda hard. Plus the wii is probably going to be really expensive.

Well, I figure that those changes are probably for both versions.

Why?

Well because if you look at the trailer, the HUD shown is that of the Gamecube version. *nods*

Hey kids. I haven’t posted here in a while… been doin’ a lot of writing & site work (including a HySpace update & an E3 conference recap), so I haven’t been on hand to weigh in on Wii & Twilight Princess.

In short, is Wii out yet because I want to buy like eight of them. The console, plus its version of Twilight Princess & Wii Sports are going to be my early Christmas presents to myself, because screw waiting.

Yeah, you guys can have your Gamecube version. I already turn on the fan or crack open a window when I play the Wind Waker to emulate an ocean breeze. Of course I’m going to pick the version where I can SHOOT PRETEND ARROWS at MONSTERS IN MY TELEVISION. I haven’t been this excited about a video game in a very, very long time.

Mike Fireball said:

An extremist. I like this guy. I plan to camp outside gamestop and run in there and buy TP and a Wii the second they arrive.

I’ll be getting TP for the Wii, but the Wii will be like the 360, almost imposible to get unless, you do camp outside the store.

chubes said:

First, May I ask why you don’t like widescreen?

I don’t really know which version I will get, the Wii version has WS, better graphics, and the new control. But the Gamecube version is the one I was looking foward to in the beggining since I first heard of this game… I wish I could spend $100 on Zelda.

I dont really like widescreen either, mabey because it messes up the screen when you dont have a widescreen tv…

I just saw some pics of the new Twilight Realm. There’s a scan from a recent issue of EGM here: [ link ]

I’m still on the fence about it. On one hand, I really liked the wintery look of the monochrome. It gave the place that dark, desolate look that matched cloaked Zelda very well, & these new bright colors won’t have that same effect.

On the other hand, it reminds me a lot of the art style of the cartoon Samurai Jack, & if used properly, could have a completely different effect that works just as well.

i’ll probably get the gb version. zelda is one of the first games i can remember playing and i was hooked right away and i pray that zelda will continue to have that same magic that has made it so great

Maybe it will be monochrome on GC but in full colour on the Wii just to make it a little different.

BTW Will and Online GameCube games such as Phantasy Star Online work on the Wii?

They should, I’ve seen in a picture for the Gamecube slot, and the places to put the controlers in.

IDK if the GC games will work online considering that they were designed specifically for the game cube. Like the DS for example you cant play the multiplayer games from the GBA on the nintendo DS……but that may be different.

Call me traditional, but…ok fine, call me traditional. I’ll stick with the GameCube Controller. I can’t help it, I A BORN BUTTON MASHER!!!! But what the hell, I’m gonna buy the Wii anyways when it comes out so might as well get used to it. ^_^

Ok, firstly, the Wii will rock. Therefore, anything on the Wii will rock. Secondly, Widescreen only would be dumb, playing it on a dinki little TV the size of a computer moniter with a widescreen format would not work. It will likely be optional. As in turn-offable.
    Thirdly,

henhouse said:

There’s reserving. Five $ down at gamestop and your garunteed* a copy.

*How do you spell that anyway?

Dollars?Anyways, I have a DVD of games for E3 ‘05, it shows all the games from the convention, and I got it from Nintendo Power (and the main game was Twilight Princess, having the third trailer ever released on it.It was a good watch then, and it’s with my games we keep in an extra dresser.

I had to put $25 down minimum to reserve a DS Lite.

That wasn’t even the final version of TP showcased at E3, and as TSA pointed out, the majority of games were actually running on GC’s with the Wii attachment. Graphically, I think TP will be very special, whether it’s on the GC or the Wii, but I will be buying the Wii version. I’m astounded at the number of people who are claiming they’ll buy the GC version simply because ‘the controls look too hard.’ Sure, I haven’t tried them either, but I can’t wait to get my hands on the Wii. If it’s control scheme works anywhere near as well as the touch screen on the DS does, I’ll find it hard to go back to a conventional controller.

Anyway, what I’d really like to see is Nintendo release a 2 disc set, with the Wii and GC versions included. I wouldn’t mind paying a little more for both versions £50-£60 seems fair, but there’s no way I’d buy both versions at £40 a piece seperately.

Yeah with Majoras Mask Master Quest included also.

thebawp said:

Well then, what about the people that ONLY want to buy the Gamecube version?
    BTW, a little bird told me that TP was going to be 2 CDs big.

thebawp said:

. . . as TSA pointed out, the majority of games were actually running on GC’s with the Wii attachment.

Just so we’re on the same page, they were running on devices that looked like GCNs. They could easily have been the same internal hardware running inside their present prototypes of the Wii.

Yes, but the point is, the hardware used at E3 were not completed Wii retail units. They are still being finalised, according to Nintendo, which means that there is a strong possiblity that there will be improvements in the console between now and its release.

Shadowknight, if you read my comment properly, you’ll see that I said I’d like to see a 2 disc edition that would be compatible with the Wii and the GC. I never said there shouldn’t be seperate versions for each console.

thebawp said:

Yes, but I wouldn’t expect huge differences between the final product and what we’ve already seen.

First, let’s remember that E³ is the big event, and Nintendo needed hype in a bad way; they’re going to show the biggest, baddest stuff they’ve got that’s working solid. My hunch is that the hardware they showed at E³ was completed roughly during the month of March; this would maximise the quality of what they could show while at the same time keeping the risk low that the system will crash on-stage or in the booth.

Second, from an engineering perspective, perhaps 90% of the hardware development work has already been done, and Nintendo will be finalising the product very soon so that they can release the specs to the manufacturers so they can start churning these things out. What is likely left is the final optimisation of the system–the tweaking and tuning all of the components of the system, and these are the small changes; if they’re still making MAJOR changes to the hardware at this point, that would be a sign that the release date for the console would not be this year.

Yeah with Majoras Mask Master Quest included also.

Oh in that case I’m buying like seven.

thousand.

I have had this game pre-ordered since lasst summer! It better be a very darn pretty game and it better be a very darn good one! (Here’s hopeing that the GCN and the Wii versions will come together or be on the same disk. I don’t want to have to buy both, and I have the GCN one preordered.)

well i my self can’t wait to the WII comes out i will be buying it that day it sucks that i would have to wait almost till the next year to buy twilight princess so now i will just get for game cube.

Musica said:

Hmm, if both were on the same disk, the disc would have to be bigger (more MB) and therefore costlier (Nintendo likes $). I want both, though a lot just want one. It could be really confusing if they sold three versions: combo, Wii, and GCN.

I, too, pre-ordered this game like last year, thinking it would come out november ‘05. But then, they delayed it and the place where I pre-ordered shut down; so I spent 5 bucks for nothing. Whatever.. I just can’t wait till this game comes out.

…I hope there isn’t too much of a difference between the gamecube version and the Wii version because I doubt I’ll be able to get the Wii.