Link Appears in Wii Smash Bros.

May 10th, 2006 at 10:43 pm by The Missing Link

[UPDATE: IGN has some better pictures here.]

[UPDATE 2: And for the fangirls in the audience… And then for the fanboys…]

[UPDATE 3: Masamune tells me that you have to see the video. There’s one here at GameSpot that requires registration; IGN has one here that doesn’t.]

I was just over at Joystiq and happened to notice this little titbit. The Wii sequel to the popular Super Smash Bros.: Melee is Super Smash Bros.: Brawl and will feature several new players such as Kid Icarus (finally!), Wario, Zero Suit Samus, and third-party character Solid Snake from Metal Gear Solid. No other third-party characters are confirmed, but it’s still possible that Sonic might make an appearance in time; be that as it may, many of the new icons from Nintendo are making their appearance in the game (likely either as items or stages), including Metaknight from Kirby and Nintendogs.

The game will feature an “elaborate” single-player mode as well as online multiplayer capabilities. It will also utilise the GameCube(!) controller instead of the Wii controller, taking advantage of the familiar play style that SSB:M used. The game is scheduled to be released in 2007.

Of course, this is a blog about Zelda, so I would be irresponsible to fail to tell you all that Link is indeed making a reappearance in SSB:B, along with screenshots of him with many of the other characters there. No word yet on Zelda, Sheik, and Ganondorf.

Filed under Games, News, Nintendo, E3 2006

39 Messages from the Gossip Stones about “Link Appears in Wii Smash Bros.”

Comments

Something will be said about Tingle sooner or later. You can’t deny the inevitable.

I’m wondering if it’ll be TP Link with Wolf-transformation ability

Wow that is nice. I hope the orginal Samus is there as well. That’s been my standard character for the last two games. :P

Some of those screen shots….wow. One word describes this new Link: YUMMY!

There’s only a single phrase to describe this:

PIMP!

They better bring that fan vote for characters here to America. Nintendo of America, you here it, right? Thousands of fans wanting their say on the future of Super Smash! It’s cool the Japanese get to vote, but, c’mon, let us join the fun.

Meta Knight… and dang… Kid Icarus… too many good things all in one. Snake and other 3rd party characters? Bring it.

Just when I thought I couldn’t get any more excited about the Wii…

I’m a happy fangirl now. :D

I noticed both OoT Link and TP Link when scrolling through those IGN screenshots.

can;t wait to see Zelda and Ganondorf!

SSMB was and is my favorite game. After Oot and TP, that is. I am simly unbeatable with link or marth in my hands… simply unbeatable..

Lysia said:

The deal is that all the original SSB:M characters (well, Link, Mario, Pikachu, and Kirby) come together, and then they transform into Wii versions of themselves, which means Twilight Link. I don’t think the original Link will be in the game; only the Twilight self.

Of all the characters they included in Super Smash Bros: Mell I kept hopeing that Ganon was in there somewhere *I dont mean Ganondorf ok* we had that big super Bowser but no Ganon which was a bit of a let down. And instead og fighting Bowser at the end of Adventure Mode I always thought that the end battle should have been character specific with Mario fighting Bowser, Link fighting Ganon or Ganondorf e.t.c. could have made it much better.

whos the blonde girl? samus?

just saw link, he looks really good, cute actualy :) (actualy about 2 min. ago cause my computer keeps timing out or something but thats beyond the point)

wow that looks awsome :D .I hope thay put some fire emblem characters in it.sadly (very sadly actually:( ) I dont think marth will be in it,but it would be kind of cool if thay put some english FE characters in like hector,lyn,ike,ephraim maybe even lyon or ephidel.just no eliwood or any of his family for that matter!

SS4 Kurama said:

whos the blonde girl? samus?

Yes, shes in her emergency flight suit from zero mission.

But she never had a laser sword in her emergency pistol. ??

17 seconds in, the castle scene blew me away. Looks awesome.

Although Link’s Triforce “Seal” attack looked very nice I’m kinda miffed at the “Smash Ball” attacks. The one thing I thought SSBM had over the competition was a lack of huge-area blasting, like the other combo-pushing games…

Please, don’t let Ganondorf be a clone…give him real sword-swinging power and energy blasts! Who else thought the music was a little too epic?

I kept hopeing that Ganon was in there somewhere … we had that big super Bowser but no Ganon which was a bit of a let down.

Well, I think it would be a bit more tangible to fight bowser, (about the highth of Shaq) than Ganon. (about the highth of an office building.)

Great Lord Ephraim said:

just no eliwood or any of his family for that matter!

I beg to ask why? I hold no grudge against Eliwood, nor do I see any reason why somebody else should.

Tsornin said:

Who else thought the music was a little too epic?

I beg to differ, SSB has always had some pretty epic sounding music, just hit power with SSBM in your ‘cube. The music fit the demo nicely.

What I’m worried about is that they will drop some of the other charectors in favor of new ones. I’m all for Zero Suit Samus, (BTW, Yowza!) but not at the price of the regular one. Or any other charector, for that matter. And just to repeat… this will be online!! WHOOO!

I’m done now, I promise.

I just turned on the ‘cube, which was wired to the radio, with a very large subwoofer…and…listened.
    Maybe “epic” wasn’t the right word. I liked the music, it made the trailed sound grand and powerful, indeed. What really hit me was the psuedo-Latin sounding choir which made the music sound much heavier and *serious* than SSBM’s. SSBM’s sounds punchy in comparison.

well,I never said I had a grudge against him (yet! :D ),hes just so boring (a trait seen in many if not every knight type person).theres just nothing speicial about him (exept the fact that tragidy seems to follow him anywhere he goes :) ) and he would be kind of a boring player to put in.besides…..he dosent look like the fighting type :P .

Master of Volvagia said:

Great Lord Ephraim said:

just no eliwood or any of his family for that matter!

I’m loving this… gah! I can’t even express myself; the excitement is so overwhelming! ;)

Great Lord Ephraim said:sadly (very sadly actually:( ) I dont think marth will be in it,but it would be kind of cool if thay put some english FE characters

That would be wicked cool. I’m just hoping Marth remains a playable character. I’ll buy and love the game either way, but… I’m attached.

Thats my point Master of Volvagia, Ganon is so “HUGE” that fighting him would be truly epic… I want the challenge of takeing him on one-on-one, lol.

BTW that last match in Super Smash Bros: Melee where you have to fight Ganondorf, Mewtwo and Uber Bowser *always forget his name* was sooooooo hard it took me months to beat them but I finally did it with Link, I managed to get rid of Mewtwo first then uber Bowser leaving me with just Ganondorf which was strangely fitting so I just smashed him out of the arena with a single blow, lol.

aww poor eliwwod, i liked eliwood, he wasent the strongest lord but if he was in smash bros he could be a lighter weight character (not like jigglypuff or ice climbers :/ ) more like roy was. one of the players who do better when there in the air fighting.

Will they have cell-shaded Link and Ganondorf? I hope Vaati’s in it, (human form,and he’ll probly be cell-shaded too…) but no more pokemon! I like to play as pikachu,but I thought the other pokemon sucked.

It was really weird for me as well, one of the greatest moments of my life… I cant tell you all of it, but first I think I got Mega-Bowser (thats his name) out of the way first. I was fox, just to let you knoe, actually one of my not so grand players. After that I quickly dispatched mewtwo, and then shot my blaster at Ganondorf a lot, and then booted him off. historic, I tell thee… A hint to do that is to do fox’s flame jump at bowsers head… he cant really get you there.
    I know I am a tad off topic, but SSBM is just so cool…

They should have hector. He’s too cool not to have. I think Zero suit samus will be a change off from normal samus. Like Sheik and Zelda. Solid Snake though, man thats freaky. He looks to normal to be in smash bros. Wario freaked me out with his belly button and giant Fart, that was just gross. They need to get rid of the whole copy character thing too, that was cheap. I saw Ganondorf, and I’m like, Oh Sweet, but it was just capt. falcon in the heavy weight class.

Sonic! yeah. thats ecxatcly wanted I hope Tails will be in too! And mabye even Shadow using Chaos control! that would be cool!

I’d like to see Baby Mario and Baby Luigi fighting as a team similar to the Ice Climbers, Ganondorf NOT be a clone, Toad as a playable character, ALL previous stages, and special entries for the characters. (the lack of those entries was one of the only things in SSBM that disappointed me)
    Remember back on the N64, when we’d see Link descend from the blue beam of light? Or Mario and Luigi ascending from warp pipes? Or Pikachu and Jigglypuff popping out of Pokeballs? Those were my three favorites.

I just got the right chance to come here, anyways, SSBM was and still is a good game, and I’m seeing SSBB (interesting abbreviation) to be a real good predecessor, and as for some new characters, they’re cool looking, and some have been in Nintendo games recently (reference to Nintendo Power) and and as for Samus…*slaps self*I needed that.When I showed my sibling that, they thought she looked like a cross of Zelda (in the face) and Peach (in the hair) but I saw nothing.Like I said in a previous subject, I’ll wait three years ’til I have the money to buy it (by then, it’ll probably be cheaper) yet SSBB looks like a promising game.

Kojinka said:

I liked those too. I thought they would be good if Nintendo would make any more SSB games.

I really hope they keep all the old characters in. The only exception would be maybe all those characters that are basically clones. Like Doctor Mario, Pichu, etc. Those can go! =P I wouldn’t mind link turning into a wolf, tough. I am a little dissappointed that it doesn’t use the wiimote. :(

Robert, you, me, three years, both of us as Link, winner gets the title of true Link user, BE THERE!It’ll be interesting to use the new look characters like Meta Knight, Pit, Snake, ect. Finally, a Kirby-like character in SSB with a real sword (not the laser sword) and if Tingle’s there, mwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaa!
    Anyways:

Sinrah said:

I am a little dissappointed that it doesn’t use the wiimote. :(

Think about it, SSB is usually like a side scolling battle (sorta) and using the Wiimote like fights, feet, swords/guns/ect, it’ll be exhausting after one minute of play.

One game I would like to see on the Wii is a MMORPG of Pokemon, this game would rule if made correctly, Nintendo should get Segas Phantasy Star On-Line team to help them make it… or Square-Enix’s Final Fantasy XI Team. Just imagine haveing a Pokemon Battle with someone on the other side of the world and kicking their *Navi*, lol.

Hm. It may get tiring for some, but it would create for some pretty darn innovative play. Maybe if they had an option between Wiimote and regular…. But, that is pretty darn unrealistic. It still would have been fun, though. =P

I can’t wait. Wario is going to be one of the best charactors ever (fart attack? yeah!) Also, though this is probably unrealistic, they should put the main charactor of Eternal Darkness in (I can’t remember her name), with Gladius as her weapon.

Even though the game may not take advantage of the Wii’s controller, it most likely will take advantage of Online Play!

Legend of Link said:

Thats what’s going to be cool for SSBB, challenge anyone from anywhere on the internet.And that challenge to Robert was serious, too.Anyways, I wonder what DC will think using the new Samus (Zero Suit Samus) with a rip-off of Squall’s weapon (Squall Leonhart is in the FF series and the KH series, but in KH he’s usually named Leon) and those that are Kirby fans, will be kirby’s #1 enemy, Metaknight. I bet my sibling will use Wario (they both have some things in common) so I better run when they are playing with me.

Heck yeah guys I cant wait to kick yo *Navis* at SSBB Wi-Fi On-Line come one and come all because I am never going down, I have never been defeated and I never will my Link skills are unsurpassed, lol.

BTW Metroid Prime On-Line should be cool too.

Don’t brag, boasting brings bad-luck (learned hard way -_-’) Anyways, SSBB will have its faults too, like in SSBM, the erase thing is too easily found, so the erase game option should either be taken out or hidden, REAL well.Otherwise, its going to be great.