Revolution? I Hardly Even Know ‘erlution!

April 27th, 2006 at 6:50 pm by Darth Citrus

I usually don’t do things like this, but I noticed this hasn’t been posted on the Blog yet. Apparently the console that we have been calling the “Revolution” has been renamed to “Nintendo Wii” Thats right wii is pronounced as “We”.

Now I don’t know about you, but think its a mistake to rename a console that everyone has been referring to as the “Revolution” for years. But to each his own.

You can check out the official Nintendo site here.

Filed under News, Nintendo

Follow This Entry | Read Other Posts by Darth Citrus

64 Messages from the Gossip Stones about “Revolution? I Hardly Even Know ‘erlution!”

Comments

• 1. Ice says:

Darth beat me to it, here’s my article =)

Wii here at Zeldablog have a bit of news today.

This piece of news over at Nintendo’s official site has been catching a lot of eyes today.

The new name for the Nintendo Revolution is “Nintendo Wii.” Here is how they rationalize the name-change:

“While the code-name ‘Revolution’ expressed our direction, Wii represents the answer. Wii will break down that wall that separates video game players from everybody else. Wii will put people more in touch with their games … and each other…”

Ok, that last sentence is a little worrisome.

I don’t habitually visit Nintendo.com, but today I was delighted by what I saw. The company “may” be heading in the right direction … wii will see soon.

And sorry for all of the supposedly funny “Wii” jokes, some days I just can’t wiin.

lol, I was surprised no one had posted this yet. I guess we were both pretty close.

I dunno, Revolution seems to be the perfect name for this console. I just can’t fathom asking to buy a “Nintendo Wii” at Best Buy. :S

• 3. TSA says:

I still say if they legally could havd done so, they should have named it Wiki.

Eh. I can’t say I’m all for the name change, but what I can say is that it really shouldn’t matter what name a console is. The name isn’t what makes the system. It’s the way it plays.

And plus, I’m sure we will get used to Wii in time.

Still, it is a pretty funky name. I actualy like “Revolution” better… Now all we need is TP info!

• 6. Ice says:

I’m really looking forward to finally seeing Nintendo’s Wii …

Ok, sorry =)

My first reaction was “you can’t be serious.” Wii just seems so wiierd. I guess I’ll just wait and see how things turn out.

Och aye, it’s a wee soul. We will be wiiling to experiencing many moments of ‘whee’ on the new Wii. Wiily we wiill.

Gee whiz… I’m go out shopping tonight rather than stay chained to my computer, and I’m criticised for not posting hot news right away. Maybe I’ll just only do metafiction from now.

I will say that I like Revolution as a name better, but meh. I just want the dang thing to come out already. GIVE ME SOME WII RIGHT NOW! *ahem* Or something like that.

I don’t get it.

Wii will, Wii will, ROCK YOU!

Sounds like a great name to me.

• 12. Ice says:

Funny you just sang that cucco_cojiro, I just added it to the next ZeldaRadio program =D

Wii seem excited about the Wii, but Wii need to understand, that the Wii puns will be around for a long time, so Wii will have to becaureful, otherwise, Wii might be mistaken for French language user’s or Wii need to go Wii Wii, understand?Gimme some feedback on the worst possible puns please!

• 14. F3 says:

Next person who uses wii in the form of a pun gets flogged.

These are thost mature responses I’ve seen about the name change, unlike that (insert immature age) year old playground they call gamespot.

HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!
    I LOVE IT! I just saw this and am almost in tears at Nintendo’s creativity!!!!
    Get on the boat now because if you don’t you’ll be left behind. “Revolution” = 4 syllables, blah. You say it enough times and you’re tired. Creative simplicity is hard to find these days and leave it to Nintendo to pull it off with Wii! Only one syllable that will unite a nation of gamers and non-gamers. YES! BRAVO!!!

“And thus millions of jaded gamers turned their heads at Nintendo’s calling, nay sayers no more.”

I just don’t see it happening with that name, but, then again, the people who’ve had no interest in the Revolution before probably wouldn’t have given a buck even if they’d gave it a “more socially acceptable” name. Sheesh… and people kept complaining about the Gamecube being “kiddy.” In any case, I’ll likely end up calling it Revolution anyway. Old habits die hard. -_-a

Here’s to “Wii”, and the countless jokes and puns thereof. Banzai.

We knew that Revolution was only a codename from the beginning. I was expecting to learn the real name at E3. But Nintendo has caught me off guard, both with the timing and the name. It’s dumb, but so was the GameBoy ‘SP’. ~__^ We’ll see how the system turns out, and then we’ll determine whether or not it is deserving of such a pointless title.

When nintendo released gamecube which was an ok console with a ok name with a good controller etc, they lost heaps of their fans to xbox and ps2. Now nintendo releases a console with a not to gamer friendly controller and the name wii, wii=nintendo’s doom. Because if an ok console like gamecube failed against ps2 and xbox and strange console with a name like wii is not going to stand a chance against ps3 or xbox. And anyway who does think that nintendo will survive against ps3 and xbox360 anyway? *tumbleweed flies through the abandoned hallways of zelda blog, “thought so”.

Rofflecakes.

“Wii” IS a slightly better name than the “Nintendo Go”

Wii get it ok

TSA said:

I still say if they legally could havd done so, they should have named it Wiki.

They can’t, it’s copyrighted. en.Wikipedia.org and en.wiktionary.org and all other wikimedia websites.

Whats riilly stupid is that they try hard to get more gamers and with this name… will they’re gonna lose some. I think they niid a new name again, something better than Wii, just biicause it has Wi-Fi is no reason to name a console after it.

Please Din, Please Nayru. Please Farore, Please…Tingle let Wii be a joke… let it be a big joke that Nintendo made up and let the “REAL” name be announced at E3.

wii…what kind of a name is that?! Oh well, the name dosen’t matter much, what really matters is the game system… ‘course I could imagine that if you say that you have a nintendo wii, the other kids will make fun of you at school… :(

Well when you look at it how they right it on the vidiio and stuff it doesn’t look that bad. I think if you watch the vidiio iinough you’ll get used to it, and maybii like it. It a far-flung idiia but who knows its working for mii. and yes the wii puns and joke will last for yiirs to come. hii hii hii.

I find that name quite amusing. Okay, maybe Revolution was a better name, but look, we’ll get used to it and we’ll start liking it :P

I really like the idea but i agree with those who say it might be a bad choice in terms of publicity. Revolution is a good name as well and is widely known already. The whole project is risky but I’ll stick to Nintendo. I’ve had enough of sequels (except for Zelda… ^^) and here probably comes a new approach to gaming.
    Besides I can imagine lots of advertising stunts with the new game. In German i.e. wii sounds like “wie” and means “how”. There might be other possibilities in other languages as well.
    “We” is a great ideal. And I wish Nintendo the best of luck, to me personally it doesn’t matter which of the 2 names they choose.

Something else: Does it have a meaning in Japanese? And how would it be written/pronounced? wi-i = as seperate syllables (which would be the usual way for 2 vowels) or wiu = as a long i?

The way its spelt is good but I dont like the name, oh well it will grow on me, I will probaly still call it “revolution”.

Anyone remember the band “Bare Naked Ladies”? Remember how it was embarrassing saying “I’m listening to the Bare Naked Ladies”? But after a while everyone got used to the name, and it just rolled off the tounge. I think the same thing will happen with Wii. Nintendo has caught our attention with such a strange name, but after a while the name will roll off the tounge and we won’t even notice it anymore.

Plus, releasing such an odd name so close to E3 has everyone talking. If you hadn’t heard about Wii and the controller before, you have now. And that’s a good thing. The more people who hear about it, the more people are likely to buy it. Good job, Nintendo, you now have everyone listening.

Goodnes! There seemes to be a lot of debate about this name! Are Wii nutz? :D

Nero said:

Don’t you miin Wii’ll get used to it and wii’ll start liking it?
    besides thats what i said. Watch the videeo like twentii times and you won’t iiven notice it ever changed.

It was called what?
    Revolution riimember?
    No not riily.
    Yeah when they first announced it.
    Oh yeah now I remember!
    I still like Wii, iiven if it does sound like a bathroom.

Personally I think they need a slightly more adult name but your right, changing it just before E3 avoided the buzz of the 360 and PS3, caught attention witha goofy name and fed news hungry gamers no matter what they’re fanpeeps of.

crap! I miin fanpiips

I find the new name more than a wii bit hillariious.

Oh well, maybe the non-gamers with prejudiced perceptions against games may be a wii bit inclined to change their minds.

And maybe more and more of the wii people will become gamers while still in their wii years.

(I find it more hillarious to use wii as in small, rather than as urine. I dunno.)

***heave*** sigh*** weaze*** Sorry, but I am still letting the name “Wii” sink itself in my heart, as I’ve had the name “Revolution” disolve into the dust of the past. I honestly don’t like the name “Wii”, but I guess I don’t have a choice. Like I said, its sinking in. Wii, Wii, Wii, yeah, repeating it a couple of times a minute will help… Wii, wii, Wii……Thats it…Wii Wii Wii…….

*warning, bad French writing coming this way, with fatawaves*
    Wii Wii, monsier and madomemesell (I suck at writing French, but I do better verbally) Thiis iis riilii good. Ok enough of my French accent, anyways, it looks like people are getting used to it, and like I and someone else said, the Wii puns will never stop…until TP comes out.

Heh, its like my ASSA’s just write themselves. First Phantom Hourglass now “Nintendo Wii”.

Its going to be a fun next article. :P

LordDragonClaw said:

I find the new name more than a wii bit hillariious.

Och, thot’s biicause it’s just wii bit fun to be talkin’ li’ a scottsman, once in a wii while.

If you’ll excuse me i’ve got a wii problem concernng wiiwii.

Hey I’m new ^^ Yay! I like this blog :P
    Anyhoo, I had much fun about the name Wii, just a few minutes ago, but I don’t like the name ‘Wii’ for a console. Revolution sounds much better ^^
    I agree with Darth Citrus that it’s a weird thought to see myself ordering a Wii.
    Whahah, I’m still laughing when I see the name again XD Wiiiii!
    Ooh, and sorry if my English isn’t correctly, because I’m Dutch and I practise my English =)

Hey, all. Long time no see. :) I just haven’t really had much to say these past few months, but I didn’t really have time to think of anything to say. Between school and manga translating… ugh.

Anyway.

My initial reaction this was a bitter one at first. Mainly because I’d been defending Nintendo through thick and thin for the last two years, only to have this happen. I guess I kinda felt betrayed.

Having calmed down quite a bit now, I’m concentrating more on my opinion that this is a real step backward in their quest to move away from their “kiddy” reputation. I understand how the name “Wii” is meaningful, but people aren’t going to analyze the name at first glance. All they’ll think is “kiddy”. Whoops.

I’ll probably never like the name. But I think I can come to at least accept it with time. The console will still be awesome. I’ll still buy it and love it.

hello everybody,

I dont really think that it was a mistake to rename the console. It happens all the time, for example, Windows code named longhorn is now officially called windows vista. I say we should just live with it.

Um uncle, the name sucks and its gonna suck always. It doesn’t matter about the rename, most knew that would happen, but Wii?! Why? Nintendo wants to kill themselves with reputations that suck. Hey everyone I just got Metroid Prime 3 for the Wii. It just doesn’t fit. They should rename the console. At least in english speaking countries.

awwwww,I liked calling it the rev :( .I had a hard time believing this wasint a joke.come on now,wii? even if it was a code name,the revolution made alot more sence and sounded better than “wii”.oh well…im still hoping its a joke :P .

thats really a stupid name…
    btw what does SP stand for?

Kirby-Link said:
    but so was the GameBoy ‘SP’.

SP stands for Special Product.

*in Irish Accent (its close to Scottish)*
    Lads and Laddies, wii will no doubt have mixed feelings for the Nintendo Wii.
    *normal accent*
    I do know how to make everyone happy, the eternal words of Cosmo from Fairly Odd Parents:
    There are three definitions for “Wii”
    You and I “Wii”
    WiiWii
    and my favorite *spins around* Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!

Well i rarely say i got a new game for my gamecube, i usualy say i got a new game for my nintendo so either way i dont really care much.

razel said:

I slightly take back my comment about the mature part

But it’s fun to say, nintendo wii!!!! (I’v been screaming that all day, It’s fun!)

Man, I’ve been caught up in so many other discussions on the net about the name “Wii”, I forgot about ZeldaBlog! Shame on me!

My opinion about the name: [At First] Wierd. My first words were WT*N*! [Now] This name is ANNOYING! After reading the name and hearing it HUNDREDS of times, it is really getting on my nerves. Constant Jokes and puns, that word is plane annoying. I don’t know what Nintendo is trying to do, make a word that anyone can easily remember, or annoy us all to death… ;)

Can’t anyone remember nearly a year ago when Nintendo announced the new GCN Zelda game to be subtitled Twilight Princess? Most fans had doubts, but we gradually warmed up to the title. Heck, there were even doubts for Rev’s controller when it was revealed, but most of the gamers have warmed up to it too. I don’t think Wii’s situation will be any different.

Wii are in no position to complain XD ROFL!!!!

I still think it’s a weird name… I liked Revolution :(

Kojinka has a point. When i first heard Twilight Princess, i thought it was a kinda wierd name. Im sure everybody will grow “into” it

*pounding nails, sawing saws, and fat men with afros run around*
    HH:Some help they are, I’m builing a slide in this room, for entertainment processes.
    Some dude from UPS: We got your watermelon.
    HH: Great…you guys are dependable.
    *a few hours later, a 50-ft slide stands on this very comment table*
    HH:Check this out.*slides down* WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!

What were they thinking!?! Nintendo Wii Sounds waaaay too much like Nintendo Pee! I already know what the Play Station & X-Box junkies will be calling it. Nintedno Wii. Seriously. That is messed up!!!!!!!!!!

Josephina said:

I don’t get it.

You must be pretty slow then. I mean that in the best way possible. If thiisrenaming craze goes on, what wiill Twiiliight Priincess be renamed?

I can see it now. “Legend of Zelda: Hero of Time Verses the creatures of the Wii” or
    “LoZ: Tingle on the Loose”

Vaati_fan said:

Go to gamespot, Vaati.

links_uncle said:

I think most have already grown “out” of it. Like when they were 7.

well arguing is not going to change it

shadow0123 said:

well arguing is not going to change it

Amen!We’ll have to accept Wii, so unless one of us becomes a Nintendo worker and become the Wii’s (akward) producer’s yes man, get him on a good mood, then talk with him over Odama about the Wii (still akward)

Quick Hyrulian Here, grap your MIB Mind altering device and lets go look for Shigeru Miyamoto San and change his mind, lol.

Lost it.Does anyone have a link to the Wii?I just want to see it.

I still say we will eventually warm up to it. Just give it some time. Besides, it’s just a name. As Nintendo fans, we should be thinking about the console itself. We just want to be able to play it already.

So its officially the “Wii” not in my house though. I personally don’t think that the title will affect my decision to buy it so I don’t have a problem.