GDC — Good Developments Coming

March 23rd, 2006 at 2:46 pm by The Missing Link

[UPDATE: As noted by evil link in the comments below, there are pictures of the DS Zelda here.]

[UPDATE 2: Nintendo has a video of Phantom Hourglass here.]

Iwata is giving the Nintendo keynote address at the Game Developers’ Conference out in California, and he’s let loose a few precious secrets about what we can expect about the future… for Zelda and for the Revolution.

1. Zelda DS is going to be coming out sometime this year, and it’s been finally named: The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass. According to the folks at IGN, it is rendered in cel-shaded graphics (pretty impressive for a DS, if you ask me), and they’ll be putting the maps on the top screen to take them off of the HUD. It will use the touch-screen intensively.
  2. The Revolution will be able to play the greatest hits of both the Sega Genesis and Turbografx 16 consoles. That means you can expect to see Sonic and Bonk (if anyone still remembers the latter) on the Revolution using the Virtual Console service.
  3. Iwata’s still holding the coup de’grâce back from us, but says that we should find out in a few weeks. (Hint: That’ll most likely be E3.)

Filed under News, Nintendo, Phantom Hourglass

65 Messages from the Gossip Stones about “GDC — Good Developments Coming”

Comments

This is sweet! I’ve never been first before!

All coolness beside, the DS game sounds really cool. Since I just finished all of Lost in Blue, I am gonna need a good picker upper. Cell shaded to boot! I don’t know if any of you were in the ‘Celda Net Mafiya’ but I’m just saying more power to it! For Wind Waker it added a certian humbleness to the little kid killing eveything in his way. Just my opinion though.

You know, a few days ago this announcement would’ve bugged me. Super Mario 64 DS left a bad taste in my mouth as far as touch-screen intensive games go. Metroid Hunters has restored my faith though. And Cel-Shaded graphics again, very nice!

Nice to hear Sega is adding their library to the Revolution.

All is sounding good for us Zelda fans :)

Sorry for posting again but if you look at these pictures of it http://media.ds.ign.com/media/694/694756/imgs_1.html ,Link seems to get a boat again and travel the sea like Wind Waker.

Y’know, I think the Rev is seriously starting to appeal to the Retro Gamer market. And y’know, that’s not too shabby at all.

Zelda DS looks great, though I do hope it’s a sequel to Wind Waker. It looks it, at least.

Lucas now has some competion:
    TLoZ: Phantom Hourglass
    TLoZ: Four Sword Adventures
    TLoZ: The Minish Cap
    TLoZ: Ocarina of Time
    TLoZ: Majora’s Mask
    TLoZ: Twilight Princess
    Like I said, Lucas is in trouble.

Hyrulian Hero said:

Lucas now has some competion:

Like I said, Lucas is in trouble.

dare I ask, who are you reffering too?

on a different note, this si looking great, but we still don’t know how exactly all these retrogames (from several different systems, no less) will be played, controler wise.

Yeah! zelda Ds is finaly named. But what about tingle Rpg?
    OK from now on I am calling the tingle rpg the adventure of tingle, or the fairy crisis. What sucks is I don’t have a DS. I hope my sister will let me play hers!

Sega! Really. Cool

I was just at IGN And I was Looking at the the screenshots for PH (Phantom Hourglass) and in some screenshots theres a fairy flying around! Navi! Or some other fairy. Just like old Times. Not

Ganonmaster, I’m not being rude or anything, but please read the rules before you post here again, and to avoid cluttering up the subjects, please.Anyways, I’m talking about the guy who made the Star Wars Movies (I think the books too,George Lucas right?) lets hope that fairy is just a healing fairy.Phantom Hourglass seems to be (theoretically, don’t take me serious until we know at E3) the true sequal to TWW, since its got similar game engine, and you get a boat (motorboat too :D ) and its out in the briney blue.Its just speculation, and only the guys at E3 will tell all.

Exciting news! Phantom Hourglass looks great, and I’m glad the Revolution can play Sega stuff, too.

I’m more so curious as to where Phantom Hourglass will fall in the timeline. Hope it’s WW!

I was just about to email this info to you, TML, after finding out about it at ocremix.org.
    Sega games… that’ll be good.

Master of Volvagia said:

dare I ask, who are you reffering too?

Retrogames are most likely going to be controlled with a Gamecube controller, remember, it has 4 GC ports.

Legend of Link said:

This is for the GameCube games, mind. It’s still not 100% clear how we’re going to play games for the NES, SNES, or N64… or Genesis… or Turbo Grafx 16… or…

I’m thinking, by the time Nov/Dec rolls around, Phantom Hourglass will get delayed. Honestly, how can Nintendo release two Zelda’s so close together? PH looks great though. And Sonic on the Rev=awesomeness.

The Navi returns *BA DA DAAAAAA* Only she has to be quieter, and reads ancient Hylian for you (as seen in trailer) it might be delayed, it might not, has any DS game been delayed so far?I’d like to know, anyways, it looks awesome.Once again, its to the great sea, but without that little boat and into a ship thats steam powered and goes where you tell it to go, it makes sailing more fun, and you do little work.The new beasts look cool to, and the classic ALttP crystal switches and color coded walls are in
    3-d, can it get any cooler?I’d also like to point out, new islands, but NOBODY try to jinx this good stuff.

I’m feeling stupid just asking this, but as a child of the N64 era, I have to ask. Just what is a Turbografx 16? Are their any games from their I might reconize?

Brilliant! Such a creative Zelda title for the DS! And not only the name, but the gameplay! I can’t wait to see what else it has to offer!

cucco_cojiro said:

Honestly, how can Nintendo release two Zelda’s so close together?

I’m sorry, I have to be a slightly devilish here for a moment. They can: Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons. :twisted:

Master of Volvagia said:

Just what is a Turbografx 16? Are their any games from their I might reconize?

Believe it or not, for a time the Turbo Grafx 16 looked like it would win the console war with Sega Genesis and the NES as it went 16-bit (kinda) well before Nintendo did. Their major mascot was Bonk, but they had a good number of games, although hardly as many as Nintendo did. Wikipedia has a list of these games if you’re interested in checking it out.

Well, this gives me a good excuse to buy a Nintendo DS!!!!! The graphics on the pictures are very impresive. I love the fact that the WINDWAKER style is living on!!!

Looks like they’ve been working more on this than TP *shrugs*

Warning:I made a small step into HTML today.

TML Says: I’m sorry, I have to be a slightly devilish here for a moment. They can: Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons.

I laughed at that suggestion, but how did you do that devil smiley.Anyways, maybe the pig will make a comback.Speaking of unkillable enemy comeback, in some pictures of TP (screen shots to be presise) Link is flying with a cucco, only its even more realistic, it looks like a Rhode Island Red.I have a clue where Link probably got the boat, if it is a sequel to TWW, then its the KoRL’s body that is used, just with some technology available once to Beedle, if it isn’t TWW’s sequel, I got nothin’.

^ And people are forgetting that A Link the Past GBA and The Wind Waker were released around the same time (and Master Quest, to boot).

I am so excited about PH. I was playing TMC yesterday and was thinking now with the DS out this will be the last new LoZ game to use the over the top look. After watching the trailer for the new game I am extremely excited. It uses the over the top look. I am really excited. I always did like the look of the 3D ones but i still liked my portables to be over the top. Now it will still remain the same. Console= 3rd person view, Handheld= over the top view.

Looks like a cool game and it has a nice catchy title to go for it makeing me one happy Bunny… or is that Wolf? O.k. judgeing by the pic of what seems to be Link travelling on a boat over an ocean this could be a direct sequal to WW… please Din dont let Tingle, his freakey family… and Knuckle be in this one.

BTW On the subject of SEGA downloads on the Revolution how likely is it that we will be able to download the Alex the Kid game that was built into one of SEGA’s machines (cant remember the name) its been years since I played it but it was a very cool game, also Alex the Kid in Shinobi World is an all time classic so how come they dont make those games anymore?

I cant believe that nintendo is putting the ww sequel on the ds.what are thay accomplishing by putting it on a different unit? its not like ds has better graphics than game cube.the map setup cant be that important.plus it doesent even make sence to put a sequel on a different unit than the first game.the only reason nintendos doing it is because ds isint very popular (do to a lack of games) and there losing money on it.so this is just nintendos way of getting people to buy the ds.

Why oh why does Link have to use that *naiving* motorboat??!!! I HATE that boat! You may not understand why I despise that thing, but for one reason: ITS NOT ZELDA!!! The king of red lions was, It had the charm of zelda, but the motorboat is making it into something that I wont even look at it.
    ANYWAY… PH looks neat. Never have been one of those 2d fans, but… Does anyone want to bet that this will involve time travelinh? With the hourgass, its obvious.

I would think it would be more like a time limit (and no,not like mm)

While I agree that a motorboat seems out of place at first. we must remember that TWW took place many years after OoT. it would make sence that there would be a kind of techological leap at some point. Besides, if they have a spring loaded chain gun that can be used to travers canyons and pits, it’s reasonable to assume they can come up with a practical use for steam.

Legend of Link said:

They would just have to translate the controlls like they did with The Zelda Collectors edition and other ports. They may be a little funkey at times, but they’d work… plus there’s the [url=http://nintendodomain.net/article.php?id=331] shell concept…[/url]

Sorry for double posting, but *navi* my url thingy didn’t work! Anyway to edit that…?

The boat doesn’t even have an actual motor its just steamed powered and anyway the GreatBay temple was a machine.

i just want twilight princess to come out :( …..

Tingle RPG may be (hopefully) just a minigame for loz:PH thank u god i would not like tingle rpg to be a real game!

Hirokazu said:

Looks like they’ve been working more on this than TP *shrugs*

How so? They’ve probably just been working harder on TP.

wow…

i thought the “shell” peripheral was going to look wierd already (what with it having to have x,y,z,c-up/down/left/right,L,R on it to play snes/n64 games). now it will have to have the sega genisis buttons and wutever that other system had functional on it as well. can’t wait to see it finalized (the “shell” i mean)

also, yes… PH looks very awesome. i definitely hope it will be a sequal to WW, kinda like how MM was a sequal to OoT. the reason zelda never ceases to amaze me is because it always has a new theme to it which keeps it feeling fresh and new. some might say that the touchscreen is just a gimmick in PH, but i believe it is the kind of creativity that keeps the series alive.

sweet deal, but i still want TP so badly!

The Revolution is rounding out to be one of the best buy systems ever. I’m glad to see Nintendo is actually thinking about the younger crowd of fans that really never experienced these older systems, and are giving them the opportunity.

I havent kept up with it lately, but are they intending to allow these games to be downloaded, or bought? If downloaded, what type of price?

Twilight_Princess said:

sweet deal, but i still want TP so badly!

I agree with that!!! While PH looks cool (with the exception of that motorboat) I still think that TP is DA BOMB!!

xKillswitchx said:

Most preferably bought, or you kept what you had around a few years ago.PH dows seems to use the touch screen, maybe to talk to people?And maybe, instead of a theory I had mentioned a while back (in some older subject) maybe you get to tap the *NAVI* outta the pigs (have you ever touched a pig before :D ) And they’ll probably release TP and PH real close, but we won’t know anything of this until E3.Another thing I like about PH is the breaking of the monotony of 2-D games on the hand-held consoles.

I just wanna play the Alex the Kid games again, as a guy who was born in the 80s I still have a deep connection to the old school games, SEGA I salute you.

Master of Volvagia said:

Hyrulian Hero said:

Lucas now has some competion:
    Like I said, Lucas is in trouble.

dare I ask, who are you reffering too?

The guy from the

Master of Volvagia said:

Hyrulian Hero said:

Lucas now has some competion:

Like I said, Lucas is in trouble.

dare I ask, who are you reffering too?

The Power Glove guy from the Wizard sure has a lot of new games to learn~! !!

This Phantom Hourglass news leaves me with mixed emotions. It’d give me another reason to think about getting a DS besides the new Super Mario Bros. game, cleverly entitled New Super Mario Bros., but I hope it’s not part of the reason why Twilight Princess has been delayed, or that it’s distracting attention from making TP as awesome as currently technologically possible.

Obviously I’m new to this blog & I enjoy the concept of not having to join & keep up with a large forum where everybody has a giant annoying signature. Well done, Zelda Blog creators.

Aw wait a minute! Can I go back & edit that crap?

You might want to ask TML, via E-mail, sorry, thats all I got to say, and as for “Lucas” is the guy who did the Star Wars stuff (Phantom Hourglass, Phantom Menace, get it?never mind -_-’)Anyways, I highly doubt they were distracted by making the DS Zelda, but I read somehwere that they are trying to make it perfect, and at another site, I read that when they’re making the environment, they are making it very realistic, even with cutting the grass, and since its a better engine than the one for OoT, its going to take some time, and they slightly changed the engine for PH, since its like TWW, but Link’s pointy ears are even pointier, the water is different (no more waves,phwew!) and other stuff, but still got Navi and old voices/roars, but maybe better (those that hated Navi will probably like her more, just speculation) and it looks like the Tingle Tuner is back (I’ve seen a screen shot, but its probably not real, so don’t get upset, TML help)

Geez… the way things are going, you people are going to want to make a TML Tuner for the ‘Blog. ;)

I’ve looked, I’ve searched, but I’ve never, ever found a way to open up the ‘Edit Post’ button for the plebian users, and if I could, I don’t know if that would be a way to get around the language filter. *shrugs* It’s just not the way blogware works…

Anyways, Mike Fireball, a special “thank you” to you. :) And as I hear it (read: I haven’t confirmed it yet), TP is delayed because not because the game isn’t done but because they keep wanting to add more and more features. I’m firmly convinced that it’s to sync it up with the Revolution launch too.

Thanks for the clear up, and if there’s anymore ravanging fans here in ZB thats what I need help for.Anyways, whatever the turnout is, I believe these games are going to be awesome and great new editions, but I highly doubt they will surpass OoT, nothin’, especially the deku nuts ^_^ a TML Tuner sounds like a good invention, I’ll start now *fives minutes and a burnt carpet later* I forgot, I can’t tell the difference of Tingle blood and motor oil ^_^’ I’ll pay for damaging the place.TML Tuner, bad idea *grabs a mop and starts mopping the burnt floor*

Well since I can’t make an actual post… yet (if that’s something that can even be a “yet”), here’s an unrelated link to something in case any of you felt like having your eyes melt & your ears catch on fire.

Some website posted YouTube videos of the final battles & endings of two of the CD-i Zelda games. So if anyone wants to torture their soul for five minutes, [ click this ].

I can see phantom hourglass being, if it is a direct sequal to WW, a waterworld-esque adventure. constantly travling along side Tetra’s ship, trying to find a homeland, all sorts of fun. that would be taking zelda in a new direction. instead of trying to save the princess within a given time and place, you’re trying to find a new homeland for your people. Now that sounds cool.

How likely is it that there will be some kind of interconnectivety between Twilight Princess and Phantom Hour Glass much in the same way as Wind Waker and the GBA, or perhaps it will be with the DS instead of the GBA…. or maybe both I guess will only find out at this years E3.

That would be cool, but since I don’t get NP anymore (we’ll get more soon) I won’t know of anything new except from here.Plus, I always thought that in PH your just loking for the new land, not just looking for a land for your people, maybe you get to chose, plus, maybe its in the “new form” since they say that TP is the last kind in its current form, so whatever is the new part, will be in PH.Maybe you get to chose to have a partner or not, or any other possibility.

That would be cool, you trying to find a land for all of those peole you found in wind waker.. And mabey you found a couple of temples along the way :)

And possibly we might learn more of Zelda’s and Link’s past, since all we know of Link is that he’s been on Outset all his life before Ganondorf becme stronger, while Tetra was born on a ship.It’d be cool if Majora’s Mask made a comeback.

Hyrulian Hero said:

It’d be cool if Majora’s Mask made a comeback.

What does that have to do with the wind waker? Just asking.

OH MY GOD! It’s the frikkin fairy again! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOT AGAIN!

Lol, I even heard it say ‘LOOK’ in the preview. Well maybe it will be more use in this game.

Hyrulian Hero said:

Ok, sorry for double posting but, I believe that Metroid Prime Hunters was s’posed to come out not too long after the DS came out and it got pushed back(although, of course it’s out now and it looks awesome). Maybe I’m wrong.

shadowknight said:

What does that have to do with the wind waker? Just asking.

Well, we know Ganondorf’s and Vaati’s past, why not other villians?

Hedgehog_Link said:

Meh, thanks for telling me.

What… theres a Fairy in PH, that is sooooo cool hehe maybe its Navi, lol.

Just hope, that it isn’t like the Navi of old.If you notice the marking on the flying octorok, it looks like the octorok statue back in TWW, hey, already I found an easter egg ^_^ Anyways, remember the statue back at the Wind Temple of Gale island, nuff said.

I was always to busy being blown away/bombed to see the statue :( .

I do remember the statue but I didnt really take in its features.

BTW if its not Navi it could be Tatl or Tael, hmmm why would the Deku Tree send Link a fairy AFTER Ganondorf has been defeated thats just plain evil.

Maybe its like in MM, where Link just finds her, and they become friends on their journeys.Just speculation.

My word, is that a steamboat Link’s driving? L O L! I LOVE the idea of cursor-controlled boomerang, though! That’s awesome!

Maybe I should get a DS.

Hopefully we can use the stylus to pick up Tingle and drop him off a cliff, or hold his head underwater untill he stops breathing.